Ron Wood and Bobby Womack on "Now Look"....wowwww

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CarlosofCoronado, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarlosofCoronado

CarlosofCoronado Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was going through my vinyl this weekend and found Ron Wood's second solo lp "Now Look", released in July 1975. What a gem. Womack produced, played guitar and did backing vocals. The track "If You Don't Want My Love" is fantastic. Who knew Wood could actually sing, and the guitar counterplay between Womack and Wood is fantastic.

Other tracks that stand out is "Breathe on Me." Richards is on a couple of tracks, and Taylor does lead on another one. It kinda shows how well everyone seemed to get along at the time, just months after Taylor left the Stones. Yes, I know the first Wood solo has Jagger, Richards, and Taylor, but that was before December 1974. :)

I noticed that the notes and wiki don't list where this was recorded, just mastered. Anyone know where they actually recorded the album?

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Great album. "Gimme Some Neck" is also a great one.

Clanceman likes this.
  3. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I was just listening to this yesterday myself. Ronnie's solo albums are truly underrated. Great stuff!

Clanceman likes this.
  4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Woody's best solo record IMO, the sound and the playing is great. Wasn't Now Look recorded in Rotterdam, Keith Harwood engineering? Pretty sure that's what it says in the back of the LP- though at least a couple of tracks -"Breathe On Me", for one- go back to the I've Got My Own Album To Do sessions.

also see here:
    http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/rw/Wood1.htm

(the site is a huge Stones database)

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

"follow" womack's career and great music ensues . . . valentinos, sam cooke, sly stone, wilson pickett, delaney & bonnie, gabor szabo, womack solo . . . gorillaz(!) . . . and so on.

doug

Bananas&blow likes this.
  6. CarlosofCoronado

CarlosofCoronado Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all,

onothimagen,
    many thanks for the RW link:

750400A early April: RON WOOD. Richmond, England, The Wick (RW’s homestudio).
    Producers: RW, Ian McLagan and Bobby Womack. Sound engineer: Keith Harwood.
    First sessions for the upcoming 'Now Look'-album.
    Note: For more info and musicians, see 750414A.

750414A 14th - 21st April: RON WOOD. Baambrugge, (near Amsterdam), Holland, B.B.C. Studios.
    Producers: RW, Ian McLagan and Bobby Womack.
    Sound engineer: Keith Harwood. Incl.
    - Big Bayou (Gib Gilbeau)
    - I Can Say She’s Alright II (RW/Bobby Womack)
    - If You Don’t Want My Love I (Bobby Womack/Gordon T. Witt) -edit
    - If You Don’t Want My Love II (Bobby Womack/Gordon T. Witt) -Now Look-version
    - I Got A Feeling (Bobby Womack/Ian McLagan/Jean Roussell) -The Womack Sisters on backing vocals
    - I Got Lost When I Found You (RW/Bobby Womack)
    - Sweet Baby Mine (Jim Ford/Bobby Womack)
    Line-up: RW (gtr, voc)/Bobby Womack (gtr, voc)/Ian McLagan (org, p)/Willie Weeks (bass)/Andy Newmark (dr)/Jean Roussell (el p, synth, clavinet)
    Note: Recordings mixed in Electric Ladyland Studios and The Record Plant Studios, New York City during late April.
    'I Can Say She’s Alright' with KR on guitar was begun at The Wick in Spring 1974.

----That means they basically cut the lp in a week....these days that is the time to select the singer's wardrobe for rehearsals :)

I noticed to versions of "If You Don't Want My Love"
    ..wonder if the other version ever made it public or was a radio edit, cause it seems that it ends on such a nice groove. I used my Audition to create a seven minute version, still working on the loop points but that Womack/Wood guitar interplay is sweet.

On the back there is a photo of RW/BW and Ian McLagan doing what appears are backing vocals. However, unless they were removed in later editing, I see no track with IM on bvs.

Cheers and thanks

Carlos

Bananas&blow and Hep Alien like this.
  7. serge

serge Forum Resident

this really is a hidden gem...

part of what gets me is how stonesy this album is.....and ron wood and keith richards have very similar singing styles....

but this album is pure class....seems to be pretty hard to come by.. I think i have only seen the one copy i purchased at the shops

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.