Ronald Isley solo coming in Nov.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by syogusr, Jul 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syogusr

syogusr New Member Thread Starter

This just in:RONALD ISLEY is recording an album of BURT BACHARACH/HAL DAVID
    standards (including "Alfie" and "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My
    Head") with Bacharach producing and arranging, for a November
    release. "They're the type of songs I walk around the house
    singing," Isley told Rolling Stone. "I think I'm more familiar with
    his work than he is. That's what kind of fan I am." Added
    Bacharach, "He's a brilliant, brilliant singer. I hope that we'll
    come to you in a very soulful way."

Yeah! This should be a killer of a CD, I believe these two will be a match in heaven:)

2. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

That is great news, that sounds really interesting. In that regard, Ronald Isley is essentially a solo artist these days anyway, collaborating with others such as R. Kelly and now Bacharach. Hope this new one turns out as good as Body Kiss just did - he definitely is singing as good as ever.

3. syogusr

syogusr New Member Thread Starter

CM Wolff: I don't know about you, but I just can't understand why this would fall on deaf ears. But then, maybe I can..... This is bit news in the music world, many people will snag this one up when it see the light of day.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Gee, I wonder how many people outside of our little less than 1% of music lovers and even R&B fans even know who Ronald Isley is? I wonder how many among our little group knows anything about him?

5. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Well, there is some audience out there for him - his name is predominately plastered over an album that debuted at #1 (i.e. Body Kiss). I honestly don't know how it has done since then, however. Also, that strong debut caught me by surprise, and I still don't know why it did chart like that - a hit single? R Kelly's presence? R. Kelly is a big draw (and over the half the reason I bought it), but I don't think his own Chocolate Factory debuted at #1, so I didn't think the Kelly connection was solely responsible.

Anyway, everyone who doesn't already know - Ronald Isley is a great soul singer! Can't wait for this new collaboration.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm inclined to think that R. Kelly WAS the draw, as most of the audience probably couldn't name two classic songs he sang on.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I suppose after 47 years in popular music, someone was bound to have heard of him. Hey! Wasn't he Rod Stewart's duet partner? ;)

Regards,

8. chrischross

chrischross New Member

Count me in as being a big fan of Ronald Isley. His recent guest shot on Swizz Beatz was the highlight of that album -- if you find it, you'll find yourself saying "stop the rapping, let me hear Ronnie".

Isley's debut at #1 is no fluke -- consider Luther Vandross' recent chart success. There's a strong buying public for R&B singers.

I've been listening to Dionne Warwick's Burt Bacharach material, so having one of my favorite R&B singers do the same sounds like heaven to me.

There's plenty of screaming angsty rock in my collection -- so the new frontier is the mellow stuff. Late at night, when the tube amps are glowing, I'd rather hear Jobim, Warwick or Donnie Hathaway. I guess I've officially become an old fart:p

9. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

You know...

It makes me wanna SHOUT, that someone so RESPECTABLE, doesn't have anyone out there who can name 2 songs that he sang.

;) Fight The Power, I say!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.