Ronnie Wood's way with money is inspirational

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Driver 8, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

That might explain the dearth of new pop music in my collection.

That very accountant-oriented, predictable-result approach is what kills creativity. Art is about, among other things, surprise and discovery.

But that complaint can be made against nearly everything anymore. Accountants and attorneys rule all business, because they are the ones who devise and promise all-important predictable revenue streams. The CEOs demand it, the shareholders demand it.

And the rest of us schlubs pay for it, by way of shoddy products in shiny packages.

If we're lucky enough to have a job that enables purchasing shoddiness.

Ronnie Wood may be a wastrel, but he doesn't have to consume Shoddy.

So, good for him.

I guess.

2. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

A real life ARTHUR.

[​IMG]

3. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

Yes, but be advised that if you care a lick about the creation of the music that Ronnie made in three of the most important groups in rock history (four, if you count The Birds), or as a solo artist, you won't read about it in this book.

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

A guy who has halved his fortune in a few years and still lives a spendthrift life will probably die broke. I take no pleasure in realizing that a man can blow £35M.

I find no inspiration in this analysis. Only nihilism.

5. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Then Mr. Moon was your man. He was constantly giving away all sorts of stuff.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I am not getting the point here. Woodie has $35 million pounds? That's amazing. As in an amazingly large amount for a non-original member of the Stones who hasn't contributed a lot of lasting copyrights.

I am shocked it's so much.

Beyond that, I'm shocked at nothing here.

7. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Clapton's was one of the worst biographies I've ever read.

8. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I do remember reading something in Rolling Stone about becoming a full fledged member after many years on a flat fee. I don't know how that 35 million figure can be accurate. Look at the numbers for the stones last 2 tours alone (around 800 million gross), he must still be getting a paltry share.

9. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

"Ronnie" was an entertaining read. Not surprising that Ron's a spendthrift.

I just finished reading "What Would Keith Richards Do." I don't see Keef dying broke. Too smart.

Ken

10. A guy in his mid-'60s and worth 35 million quid is unlikely to die a pauper's death, no matter how profligate he is. Would that I could be so poor!

Who was more or less quoting actor (and Mafia style inspiration) George Raft: "I must have gone through $10 million during my career. Part of it I spent on gambling, another part on booze, and another part on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

But how long did it take him to blow the first 35 million? The article seems to say that he's basically halfway through 65 million.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

How do you figure? That's 800million dollars (not Pounds) GROSS (not net). The net to the band is probably far, far less. Then, assuming conservatively that he gets a full share, Wood gets 20% of that. 35million pounds (or about 55million dollars) -- of which was once apparently $100+million dollars -- actually sounds a little high to me.

13. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

I don’t care how much money he’s spending as long he’s happy.
    Money’s made to roll … not gathering moss. I’m glad for him as long he has no big problem with booze or drugs.
    Besides, you don’t need any money when you’re gone. Enjoy your life while you can, Ronnie!

14. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

Actually, he's quite a good painter, as this portrait of Jimmy Page attests.

http://artbrokerage.com/artist/piece/23526/Ron-Wood/Jimmy-Page

Average guitar player? Does the average guitarist play with as much soul and spunk as him? Didn't think so. Listen to "That's All You Need" from The Faces, and that's all you need. :D

But alright, his singing isn't that great. Although his version of Dylan's "Seven Days" at The "Bobfest" at MSG in '92, was excellent. Despite the fact that he sounded like Dylan struggling with a particularly strenuous case of diarrhea.

15. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

+1

16. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

You should read Pattie Boyd's. It makes Claptons seem coherent.

17. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

But when Keith Moon spoke about suddenly becoming a millionaire after the release of "Tommy", he said "Either you become a businessman or you become a bankrupt". Obviously, he became a businessman, albeit a highly intoxicated one.
    Keith Moon had a very flamboyant and funny public persona, and a quite different real life persona.

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I don't believe Ronnie's got anywhere near 35 million pounds (or dollars). Read his book: He's very open about constantly being broke and having to sell his houses and art to get cash.

19. Mr X

Mr X Forum Resident

For you, maybe. I'd still be willing to give it a try!

20. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

He has a mighty fine pad in Kildare, Ireland. A mighty fine ex wife and a mighty fine girlfriend. He plays in a band that once was mighty fine. And to top it all he still has 35 million. God some problems.

21. What a tragedy.

A 62 year old rock star with a 21 year old chicky and 35 mil in the bank:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pardon this chicky for not feeling the least bit sorry for this guy.

I don't even understand how anyone feels bad for this guy.

I will say, people should live their lives in whatever manner they choose. As long as they aren't hurting anyone else.

Here's a thought, and maybe I should start a thread about this.

Is there a connection between rock stars/musicians being more business savy and conscience these days and the lack of quality, emotive music?

Has there been a shift from the creative brains in music, to the more prudent and analytical brains?

It always seemed to me that most creative-brained artists wrote/write and produced much more emotionally intense or emotionally stimulating music and lyrics.

While more analytical, prudent-brained musicians often seem to write less melodic and emotionally stimulating music and lyrics.

22. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Ron's book is a classic. My favorite tale is Ron house sitting for Tony Curtis and somehow (with a little help from friends) drinking up his entire wine cellar. Tony returns and can't believe his priceless collection has vanished; after calming down he says "Ron I love you, but I can't stand your hours." Kinda sums up Ron's style.

23. Nonhuman

Nonhuman Forum Resident

It never ceases to amaze me that people believe money is real.

Anyone desiring another perspective may wish to break from the herd. This from Derrick Jensen Endgame The Problem Of Civilization:

Premise Twelve: There are no rich people in the world, and there are no poor people. There are just people. The rich may have lots of pieces of green paper that many pretend are worth something—or their presumed riches may be even more abstract: numbers on hard drives at banks—and the poor may not. These “rich” claim they own land, and the “poor” are often denied the right to make that same claim. A primary purpose of the police is to enforce the delusions of those with lots of pieces of green paper. Those without the green papers generally buy into these delusions almost as quickly and completely as those with. These delusions carry with them extreme consequences in the real world.

http://www.endgamethebook.org/Excerpts/1-Premises.htm

Do you think Ronnie Wood thinks money is real? Should a Rolling Stone think money is real? Wouldn't that make him a Beatle?

24. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

He who has money to burn makes an ash of himself.
    I think Michael Jackson and Ron Wood took the same course on personal finances.

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

His current "lifestyle" could easily have adverse effects to RW's kids, Mick/Keith/Charlie and maybe hardcore Stones fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.