Roon Labs Software

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by o0OBillO0o, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

That looks like a good setup for storage. Are you using the iPad App to control Roon?

2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

3. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Hey, I'll revive this thread.

I'm looking for a Roon music server and am presently eyeing a Rock i7 or Sonictransporter. The i7 ST has bridged ethernet. Is anyone out there in Hoffmanland using one? Any user experience to share?

History: I'm moving from an older QNAP NAS and am looking to purchase a moderate NAS and a music server with Roon installed. Yes, I believe Roon likely runs best now and in the next few years on a minicomputer, likely a Linux box. Finding a quiet moderate NAS to store music is relatively easy. Finding a Roon minicomputer that has a good processor and runs cool and quiet is hard. Roon is shipping the Nucleus i7 at a $2,500 price point. Small Green Computer is pricing their i7 fanless bridged Sonictransporter at $1,500. The bridge allows a direct ethernet connection to a squeezebox (and squeezebox kits). The ST also has LMS. To me, the Sonictransporter combined with a moderate NAS may finally be reaching a pricey, yet quiet viable solution to the NAS-LMS-Squeexebox that has worked for almost a decade. I would expect a new combination to last at least 5 years.

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

My Roon server is an Intel NUC i3 running Linux that cost under $500. Go cheap on your server and put the funds towards the endpoint. I use a Sonore Microrendu for my Roon endpoint, but there's no sonic benefit to be gleamed from a fancy Roon server.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Heh, funny to come across this post years later. I consider Roon indispensable to my music listening and wouldn't be without it.

JMAC, Blue Gecko, Jaap74 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.