"Roseanne" revival with John Goodman, Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I doubt I'll bother with this -- it was a great show in its prime but I lost interest in it before Dan passed away. I have only seen bits and pieces of the horror that Roseanne wrought afterwards with its sudden "We won the lottery!" 180-degree turn into flights of fantasy in its last season or so.

I have vague memories of catching a later-era episode where the family was taking a train trip through Europe (?), which got hijacked... and Roseanne suddenly turned into a John McClane-style action hero, climbing in and out of the train cars beating the crap out of terrorists. Maybe it was a dream sequence, or a hallucination? Either way, it was so out of character for the show that I never tuned in again.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That was a Season 9 episode. The show went way off the rails towards the end (pun intended). :)

MikaelaArsenault and keefer1970 like this.
  3. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

So I DIDN'T imagine that one? Thank goodness. :D

No, but seriously - you ain't kiddin'! My wife and I both kinda sat there like "WTF?" but we couldn't take our eyes off of it - it was like when you pass a bad car crash on the highway - it's horrible but you gotta look...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Although I never watched the original series, and would never watch this rehashed garbage, I can only pray that Johnny Galeckeckei is killed off of the Big Bang Theory and winds up on this piece of flaming manure. Maybe then I would start to watch the Big Bang Theory again on a regular basis.

Seriously, as much as everyone trashes shows like 2 Broke Girls (WHICH IS/WAS AT LEAST AN ORIGINAL IDEA, and has/had two leads that are/were easy on the eyes), all Hollywood can come up with for TV Shows are Rosanne, and a Young Sheldon Cooper. Very fracking original.

I need to find Vidiot to see how I can start writing TV Shows in Hollywood. I am sure I can hire a room full of orangutans with typewriters and put out better drivel than this.

I'm just waiting for Chicago Public Works, Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago Water Management, the Chicago Electric Company as spin-offs this fall.

As soon as the hockey playoffs are over, rather when the Penguins are eliminated, goodbye cable. See you in the fall for College Football and the NFL.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Jackie turned into quite the kooky (and annoying) character as the show progressed compared to the first three or four seasons.

AKA and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Only seen a small handful of episodes of the original show. It was probably a little bit before my time as I was too young to really appreciate it back then. It didn't really have anyone I could relate to like with other shows at the time such as Home Improvement or Boy Meets World, but I imagine I'd enjoy it now.

DHamilton and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Try watching the first 5 seasons in order- I think you'll like it. Almost all of those episodes are good with just a few duds. :)

MikaelaArsenault and bamaaudio like this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Roseanne / Trivia - TV Tropes

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, but that's from years ago- I wouldn't count on necessarily seeing any of that in the revival we're going to get.

10. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Like most sitcoms, the background story/plot was never what I was super interested in on "Roseanne", so I find what they've been "up to" of little interest.

And the showrunners and Roseanne certainly didn't see a need for any continuity in tone for the characters either during the show's original run. Mark went from a brooding, James Dean rebel type who barely ever said anything to the "Joey Tribianni" character. Jackie went from a perpetually-single, neurotic but well-meaning character to an eccentric goofball, eventually turning (referencing her own description of the character) into a sort of weird Barney Fife impersonation.

They did all sorts of weird stuff with Dan. He was majorly depressed when his mother was committed to a mental institution, to the point of awkward full-on drama episodes where he lashed out at the family. Then, awhile later, they did a weird black comedy, near-slapstick episode where his mother visits and keeps trying to murder Dan.

I'd rather see new episodes where they don't spend a bunch of time recapping and highlighting where everybody is "at", and just get on with writing some funny stuff. I think it's still possible.

That 2009 stuff from above sounds like awful fanfic.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I liked the show the best when it was grounded firmly in reality.

Laurie's Barney Fife schtick got on my nerves really quickly.

12. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

I agree I hated what they did to her character as the show progressed. Maybe they can dial that back a lot more now.

One of her greatest scenes was in an early episode in which she acts like a distressed wife to George Clooney's character while he is with another woman. Awesomely hilarious stuff. I love how she delivers the line "Is that What he's been telling you ?!?"

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:laugh: Oh yeah, that's a great scene! "The kids miss you...".

MikaelaArsenault and JackDVD78 like this.
  14. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The original "Roseanne" show, especially the first several seasons, deserves a place in history if for no other reason than being one of very few sitcoms that directly and bluntly addressed economic issues. It wasn't goofy upper-middle-class "Home Improvement" where Tim Allen buys season tickets or a hot rod without telling the wife. In "Roseanne", they showed them not being able to pay simple bills, not being able to afford nice things for their kids, having to shutter a small business and have one of their kids tell them they are a failure, and many other things of that nature, and did it all while remaining funny and not too morose or melodramatic.

They did some great bits. The episode where they go down to the IRS office is a classic.

And they did funny stuff completely unrelated to any political or socio-economic stuff. One of my favorite all-time bits is when the power goes out and DJ tries telling a story to the family. They frame the shot with Darlene watching DJ from the background as he struggles to improvise a story. Weird bits like that were great. The kids on the show did some of the best work, which is rare for a sitcom. And they're not kids anymore, so that element is gone and was gone while the show was still running.

15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The early episode where the door-to-door salesman dies and they have to go about their day with his corpse sitting at the kitchen table (while they wait for the coroner to finish his golf game) is a good one. Some great physical comedies.

And the Halloween episodes, especially the first four or so, are great and I play all of them each Halloween season.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

One of my favorite episodes is "One For The Road" (the one where Becky and her friend get drunk off some really nasty mixed drinks).

Becky: [drunk] We don't have a bathroom, we have a wok.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"I can count to zero!".

All the Halloween episodes are compiled onto a single DVD and it makes for great viewing around Halloween time. :)

18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Yep, I've got that compilation DVD, the original Anchor Bay release. It has a Roseanne video commentary on it, and she's not totally insane at the time she did it either.

Some great Halloween stuff. DJ wants to be a witch and Dan freaks out. In one episode, Jackie and Crystal are both dressed in seemingly the same costume, but Crystal reassures it's okay because she's Elvira while Jackie's Morticia, and Jackie tells her it doesn't matter because they "still look like The Judds from hell."

19. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

Another thing about the show was sometimes it felt so real. Those scenes between John Goodman and Lacey G. as the original Becky and even sometimes with Roseanne were so tense. They were handled so well Dan would scare me to death! Was just great acting.

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Angry Dan is a sight to behold.

Man, John Goodman is a great actor.

21. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

The first few seasons (before Roseanne got control of the show) are great.

One of my favorite episodes is when Roseanne goes to a job interview and hits it off great with the lady interviewing her.
    But then the lady asks her about her computer skills. Job vaporizes instantly. That felt real.

22. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

The episode where Dan's high school buddy shows up, and they rebuild Dan's motorcycle (which is in pieces in the garage) is a classic too.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Oh look, a microwave with an organ under it!".

24. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'm really interested in watching this. As others have said, those first 5 years were great. Then the quality of the show went straight down. I'll enjoy the Conners with adult children. I think it can be funny, and I hope it is. Or it'll be a total PoC. Hopefully they have good writers and know what they want to do.

25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

There were also some good (though painful and awkward) early episodes where Roseanne has to work at a fast food chicken place and her boss is a teenager finishing high school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.