Roseanne on LAFF looks weird...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Oct 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Has anyone seen the shows on INSP-TV?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

I saw a few minutes of Roseanne on Laff last night because of this thread, and it looked like normal video tape to me.

3. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Mama's Family isn't LAFF, it is on MEtv. Also, MEtv isn't converting to 16x9, it is something between 4x3 and 16x9 with smaller black bars on the sides. Not sure exactly when they started this, but it is pretty recent.

4. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

A lot of these new digital "oldies" channels are really doing a number on picture quality, digital compression, aspect ratio, etc. A new world of horrors!

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Antenna TV seems to be doing it right (with no picture quality issues that I know of) plus they have a really great lineup of shows.

The Hud and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. Hymie the Robot

I have no problem with MEtv. Perry Mason and Gunsmoke look really good even zoomed a touch. I was watching Columbo late last night with a lot of outdoor scenes and the bikinis looked great. Oh, and the color was fine too.

7. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

MEtv is fine...LAFF is wretched/unwatchable.

8. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I watch "Emergency!" (which is soon to be on Cozi as Universal/Comcast calls its children home) and the transfers are way better looking than the ones on DVD. For a while they were showing the zoomed ones on the sd channel, while the HD cropped the zoomed pictures! Lots of unintentional lobotomies on Randolph Mantooth

MikaelaArsenault and Vahan like this.
  9. Hymie the Robot

I have been watching the hour long Alfred Hitchcock and Twilight Zone. Still it is the Gunsmoke they advertise as newly restored that really shines.

MikaelaArsenault and Vahan like this.
  10. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

The reason Emergency! was remastered was because of the 2008 video vault fire at Universal, in which the original 35mm negatives were unaffected.

11. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

No pics of Roseanne please...I beg of you.

12. PaulKTF

I just talked to a very nice woman at Carsey-Werner (the company that produced and distributes Roseanne) and let her know about the bad picture quality. She says she's going to talk to someone at LAFF about it to see what's going on.

Fingers crossed this will result in some better picture quality. :)

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I hope MeTV doesn't take it off the air.

14. PaulKTF

It's leaving at the end of the year.

15. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I think Me-TV would love to keep it but their deal is expiring. I would imagine you'll see more of this- the old shows appearing on the streaming/digital channels of the companies that own them-they are probably becoming to valuable to lease out.

Interesting--I wish those versions would show up on DVD or better yet Blu Ray. I've watched them on Netflix and they are so much better than the DVD sets- the later ones, especially, are filled with scratchy 16mm syndication prints and look like garbage.

16. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Wonder if this could have anything to do with this story from 2013:

Carsey-Werner to Remaster Six Veteran Sitcoms in HD | Broadcasting & Cable ยป

This article mentioned Carsey Werner remastering a number of shows "in HD", and I remember a discussion back around that time that it seemed odd, as a couple of the shows at least were shot on videotape rather than film.

So I wonder if this HD "remastering" project (undertaken after "Roseanne" had already been released on DVD by two different companies) might have resulted in this odd look.

17. MikaelaArsenault

No... :cry:

18. MikaelaArsenault

Their deal is expiring? With Emergency?

19. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Yep which is why they are doubling up episodes--sorry for hijacking the thread--back to "ROSEANNE"!

20. MikaelaArsenault

That makes sense. It's a shame that we don't get Cozi TV anymore though. :(

21. PaulKTF

Don't even get me started on the last few seasons and especially the last episode of Roseanne... :cussing:

jupiter8 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

The Will and Grace episodes aired on WeTV look super-odd, stretched in a way that no aspect ratio adjustment can improve, plus incredibly poor picture quality even on HD.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If they're technically screwing with the shows, then it's bad. Period.

Regginold31 likes this.
  24. PaulKTF

I don't even care if the shows are in HD or not (because it really doesn't matter with these old shows shot on tape anyway).

Just air them in their proper aspect ratio and without any video futzing please!

Regginold31, goodiesguy and Vidiot like this.
  25. Hymie the Robot

Compared to LAFF they look great. It is a sub channel and not HD, taking that into consideration, they look fine. Based on your other post you are obviously commenting on something you have never seen. Yes, I wish they would leave them alone but that isn't the case. I never said it was a good thing, just giving you facts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.