"Roseanne" revival with John Goodman, Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

Did Dan not die after all?

MikaelaArsenault and dmiller458 like this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Dear glob... What have we wrought?

4. AKA

Maybe they can introduce Dan’s long-lost twin brother, Don Conner, or they’ll open the first episode with Roseanne in the basement writing a novel about writing a novel. Seriously, it will be interesting to see how they explain that away in the revival. I know Will and Grace has a similar situation with their upcoming revival.

Also, in the final episode, it was revealed that Darlene and Mark were actually a couple, and not Darlene and David; and Becky and David, not Becky and Mark. That might be a non-issue, with Johnny Galecki (David) busy with The Big Bang Theory and Glenn Quinn (Mark) dead.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

I forgot about the revival of Will & Grace to be honest.:hurl:

6. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I love the original show, have all the seasons on DVD (even re-purchased the cheapie Season 1 set from Mill Creek to get the unedited episodes!), but I can't imagine this'll be that great.

That sketch Goodman and Gilbert did wasn't very good or funny.

Roseanne is kinda nuts now and the things that informed her humor back in the late 80s and early 90s on Roseanne don't seem to be things she experiences in life now, so I'm not sure where the show would be coming from. Plus Sara Gilbert at some point after the show ended just decided to change her voice to a weird, high-pitch squeaky voice. I'm still trying to figure out what that's about. It's pretty grating and especially weird in relation to the original end run of episodes.

I guess the new episodes could go super-duper "meta" and that might be the funniest angle. But really, the show was the funniest when Dan and Roseanne were down on their luck and struggling, and the kids were still kids. They had a rare group of kids who were as funny as the adults. But once everybody grew up it got less funny, and funniest things to latch onto were Mark (the now deceased Glenn Quinn) and Martin Mull, and even he was funnier in the earlier seasons he was in.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The one that killed me was her pretty sister Jackie told her to write her story to get by her grief over losing Dan. That last episode made me cry. The loss of Dan was just palpable.

MikaelaArsenault and j4yheindeo like this.
  8. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

^ seconded ...

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I never cared for the last couple of seasons.

Not interested here.

MikaelaArsenault and Ginger Ale like this.
  10. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I realized that I never actually saw the finale. (or most of the last season really). Will have to check that out.

11. AKA

The last season was dog****, and the one before it wasn't much better.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The last two seasons of the show were awful when Roseanne fired all the good writers and took over the show. This is going to be just as terrible.

13. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

The last season was just a dream.
    [​IMG]

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Actually the whole series was a fictional creation of the character of Roseanne (confused yet?). :)

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Obviously this is a result of something Roseanne is clamoring for, moreso than the legion of fans the show had in its' best days. We all know they wore out their welcome by indulging the diva, yet we all had to respect her for using the power even if we didn't hang around for the potential-wasting silliness that came after.

She wanted to go out while she was still ahead, but the stoopid stoopid network didn't want that. So not only did she take the money, she took total artistic control in such a way that it could only come back on the network itself.

I do think we got two valid things out of the last two seasons which will stay with me forever. One is that far-too-late epilogue that let her reward her followers with a coda that showed she never forgot about them, and almost made up for how she destroyed her own show (while her life was sort of doing the same thing). But the best was a platform where she had reason to get in the line, "I'm your worst nightmare: white trash with money."

And I cannot help think, in our current state of affairs, whether we need The Connors or not, we could sure use somebody in the public consciousness who can make that clear to us.

16. AKA

Unfortunately, Roseanne Barr is very happy with our current state of affairs.

kanakaris likes this.
  17. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I suggested on Twitter that a reunion show should only give now 30ish DJ one line, and then just have him run
    up and down the staircase for the entire episode. It always seemed to me that they cast the son so young that they
    couldn't yet tell if he could act. As the later seasons proved, he couldn't, and they seemed to give him as little to do as
    possible.

Roseanne herself liked my tweet, so maybe they'll actually do that. That would be a good story to tell.

18. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

And, if they do go with the "Roseanne dreamed the death of Dan and winning the lottery" stuff from the last few, awful seasons,
    then they have Roseanne describe the recurring dream to her MD, played by Patrick Duffy, who prescribes zanax or something. I also like
    the idea of using Becky interchangeably, meaning Lacy Chabert would be in one scene, Sara Chalke in the next, and no explanation or reference
    is ever given.

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  19. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

For that ALONE I would watch.

21. AKA

I'd be okay with Lacy Chabert, but I think you meant Lecy Goranson.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2017
  22. MikaelaArsenault

The recent one on The Talk?

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The original premise of Roseanne (a working class family struggles to survive and deal with life) was great, but they threw that out the window with the lottery win and I just can't see how they could go back to it (successfully, anyway).

So I guess Dan faked his death?

24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The plot should be that Mulder and Scully are investigating Dan's reappearance only to find out that he had been in Stars Hollow where he became possessed by Bob and that he killed DJ Tanner.

Lownote30, BeatleJWOL, AKA and 4 others like this.
  25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

But that's just what everyone will expect!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.