"Roseanne" revival with John Goodman, Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Yeah, I find a lot disingenuousness in all of this, too. Bottom line disguised as social responsibility is what it usually ends up being.

2. EdogawaRampo

Thing is, will it really create any substantive dialog, or will it harden already fossilised opinions? Hope springs eternal, but so does doubt.

stuwee and snowman872 like this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Thing is, if one doesn't know what is acceptable, one may have a problem.

4. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Yes, the dialog can often be a total waste of time and very frustrating, but what other choice do we have? We either try to fix problems in society or ignore them and continue to let them fester. As I see it, it is better to try and do something, even if it fails, then do nothing at all.

5. 926am

926am Senior Member

Yikes this is getting ugly. Where's the Beatles thread...

goodiesguy, Jrr, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  6. EdogawaRampo

True.

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Pick any thread on page one at random and there is a good chance you will pick one. :D

snowman872 likes this.
  8. EdogawaRampo

Actually, I can bring The Beatles into this.

There was a discussion in 1967 about their admissions about taking LSD and pot advocacy and whether or not they should have done it. One side was of the opinion that they never should have given their thoughts on the matter publicly, since so many millions of young people were fans.

Others, including The Beatles themselves maintained that they were adults and could say what they wanted. I tend to agree with that. But I know someone who's been a lifelong Beatles fan, but won't forgive them for their drug stances. He was an elementary school teacher for all of his adult career (just recently retired) and said he hated them for that because of the social repercussions the accepting stance on drug taking has had on parents and children alike. I guess he's seen it all. And this is a guy who's an amateur musician, has a 1962 Hoffner bass and an assortment of vintage guitars just like The Beatles had, knows all the songs...clearly he idolised them -- except for that.

9. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Roseanne Barr brought it on herself, she's been cruising for a bruising for a while. Despicable things were said about Valerie Jarrett. Why is Roseanne even whining about her? Roseanne's always been crazy but her tweets are psychotic and are pure harassment. What an idiot. Self-sabotage is part of Roseanne's makeup too and wow did she outdo herself this time...

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Correction: Stupidity is cancer. Don't blame the messenger.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think to blame The Beatles for all that is too much. Lennon often said, "there's a million churches out there -- don't look on me as a Messiah. I'm just a man." He very much resented anybody thinking of him as a role model, and he constantly told fans and interviewers <paraphrasing> "I've made tons of mistakes in my life, I have many flaws, do not model your life after mine." And that very much includes drugs or drinking or smoking or any of the other bad habits he had in his life. There's a point where you have to take responsibility for yourself and not blame it on a celebrity that entertains you.

In the case of Roseanne Barr, I think she's a talented but very flawed celebrity who has some deep set psychological problems where she feel she has to insult and denigrate people she disagrees with. The moment an argument descends in to racial slurs, that's it -- I'm out. I think there's a point where you can't go that low. We have to treat everybody with respect, even the people we don't agree with -- maybe especially them. You can't stoop to that level.

JimW, zebop, goodiesguy and 13 others like this.
  12. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Comparing someone to an animal is not a political view. I would never want to work with anybody that had this attitude.

13. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Not defending Barr's statement whatsoever, but your post above seems hostile toward animals. What's wrong with animals? Why the contempt and superiority toward them?

14. EdogawaRampo

Well, of course I agree. Lennon was pretty much on the same page as Dylan in that regard.

I agree on the stooping to racial slurs and insults, generally. I'm not full on with having to treat everybody with respect, though. There are some things, some acts and apologists for those acts, that simply do not deserve any respect IMO. We can agree to a modicum of civility in debate, generally, but there are some things that are simply beyond the breach, just as stooping to racist slurs when you can't win on the merits of your arguments. These are not things you can mention here, but you can guess. There are groups that can be found that advocate and promote things that are just unbelievable and I'm pretty sure if I were able to post them here you'd agree that not only do they not deserve any respect, they do deserve something and it's not what you'd call positive.

zebop likes this.
  15. EdogawaRampo

OK, just perused through some of her tweets. Wow! They read like a drunken and/or schizophrenic tirade, chock full of tabloid-style misinfo and heapin' helpings of vitriol and racism thrown in for good measure. Is she on some kind of medication or something? Hopeless alcoholic?

Next up: how is/was she a thing? I realise she had a TV show and I vaguely remember it was a comedy that was being revived and is now cancelled...was it ever worth it?

zebop, Vidiot, snowman872 and 2 others like this.
  16. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I respect freedom of expression.
    Expecting no consequences no matter what you express when , how or to whom is not the same thing at all.
    That freedom guarantee is that the government won't shut you up ( yeah , I know , not always a good bet ) .
    Others can respond to your expression in various ways you may not like.

goodiesguy, troggy, geo50000 and 5 others like this.
  17. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Yeah...no.

zebop, lukpac, Drifter and 2 others like this.
  18. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

No need to smoke a pipe as you are smoking for the lot of us :)

JoeRockhead and OldSoul like this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Geez, isn't that the truth. Comedy is really all about timing, and the editing is nothing less than essential. And that has to be the least appreciated and noticed talent.

goodiesguy and Vidiot like this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Interesting observation. You are more right than I wish you were, imo. It is of my opinion something significant is going to happen at some point due to that, and I'm not talking about some show getting cancelled or an actor being ostracized. We are already seeing more youth suicides and folks placing far too much importance on social media. At some point, some major calamity is going to happen over some stupid social media event and we're all going to be really sorry the pandoras box that is social media was ever opened. In the last few years, I've even felt the internet in general has become something that I'm not so sure is a good thing long term, this coming from someone that depends on it for a living. Some big uproar is inevitable, especially when you see how fast this situation went from A-Z. In this case, a spade is a spade. But someday an innocent social media event is likely to happen with no time for any explanation and things will explode. I think it's inevitable. It could even be planted by somebody in another country. I'm just stunned by how many people read things (I am not referring to the Roseanne situation) and assume it's true. Very dangerous territory we are in.

MarkTheShark, JimW, JM Jones and 3 others like this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I am just still bewildered how much social media platforms influence employers. I don't use them anymore for that reason.
    Yeah, she said something dumb and posted it, but apologized after the backlash.
    We all say and do stupid things, some of us more than others, I don't see that a reason to fire her from her job, when
    she clearly does it very well and has people tuned in and ABC are making money.
    It shows to me how lame people and companies have become, and are being affected by the use of social media.
    'Normal' people should take it with a grain of salt but it also shows how 'touchy','sensitive' and 'insecure' the human race has become.
    She only voiced her thoughts, she didn't kill anybody and maybe she is warped and all that, well so what?
    It's a sad world when you can't do anything or say anything that might upset some folks.

22. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Found the racist!

SuntoryTime, zebop, ad180 and 20 others like this.
  23. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

She wanted attention?
    She got it.

Malina likes this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, this thread has about two more minutes till shutdown. Man this is ugly.

goodiesguy, Grant, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Touchy territory, perhaps it'll be in the best interest of this forum to do just that.

goodiesguy and Grant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.