Ross Bagdasarian Sr. & Alvin and the Chipmunks 1960's album info

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marshall, May 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,

I just wrote a web article on a new book about Ross Bagdasarian Sr and Alvin and the Chipmunks. Musically, there were a few things I hadn't known about The 1960's Chipmunks albums on the Liberty label. One was that The Wrecking Crew was the band for most if not all of the albums. Does anyone know which Wrecking Crew musicians appeared on these Chipmunks albums?

Second, starting with 1964's The Chipmunks Sing The Beatles Hits, Bagdasarian didn't perform the Chipmunks singing vocals. The vocals were by a group called The Eligibles, who had sung the Gilligan's Island theme during seasons 2 and 3 of the TV series. Apparently, The Eligibles also provided the vocals on the Chipmunk Punk and Urban Chipmunk albums of 1980 and 1981.

Finally, I had no idea that Canned Heat in 1968 recorded a song called Christmas Blues (actually The Chipmunk Song) with The Chipmunks. Anyone remember this release from back then?

Here's my review of the Bagdasarian Sr. and Alvin etc. book
    “Aaaaalllviiinnn!”: The Story of Ross Bagdasarian Sr., Liberty Records, Format Films and The Alvin Show-Book Review

Marshall

Sammy Banderas and John B like this.
  2. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Never heard that before about the Wrecking Crew but it doesn't surprise me. I always thought the backing tracks for the Christmas albums were great.

3. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

This is so bizarre. My brother just texted me to say he just bought a turntable and the first album he’s purchased in 30 years. It was the Chipmunks sing the Beatles.

rlp and clhboa like this.
  4. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

That would be my first choice after 30 years. :laugh:

5. Marshall

That's great. Which store did your brother buy The Chipmunks Sing The Beatles LP at? I've had my vinyl copy since I was a kid in the 60's, but haven't played it in a long time. I know it's been released in CD on Capitol a couple of times.

6. Marshall

7. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Is this the album where all the vocals are real high sounding?

Bill Larson likes this.
  8. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Some store in Fairlawn, NJ.

9. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i used to ( briefly ) hangout at their beverly hills house as a kid trying to nail the guys daughter.

HA!

JuanTCB and Bill Larson like this.
  10. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Great thread! "The Chipmunks Sing The Beatles Hits” was my introduction to the Beatles, odd as that may sound. A very young me had access to a cheap transistor turntable and the album at the house of family friends and I loved the songs. I knew of the Beatles (how could you not) but I wasn't old enough to buy my own records. I kept playing it over and over. I heard the real thing years later and that was even better.

Thanks for bringing back the moment.

11. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

12. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Bet that sounded better in your head.

O Don Piano likes this.
  13. rkt88

i gave it my best shot. i always did think with my head.

14. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

Your big one or your little one?

15. Marshall

Thanks clhboa. I've corrected the info that it's "The Chipmunk Song" and not "Christmas Blues" in which Canned Heat and the Chipmunks team in my web article.
    Marshall

clhboa likes this.
  16. Marshall

You're welcome John B.!

17. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I bought the Kindle version,as the $40 hardcover & $30 for trade paperback were out of my budget.,and put a short blurb in the Books in Music thread. Animation expert Jerry Beck put it succinctly: For serious Chipmunk fans ONLY. The book is in need of an editor. Redundant,yet short on actual legwork(interviews and review references),it is nice that hose springing for the pricier physical versions get better visuals(fun local fact-a retail ad for the 'Munks LPs came from Reading,Pa. retailer,Boscov's,which jettisoned music years ago, but still exists). My amazon review-three stars.
    BTW,the Canned Heat /Chipmunks song shows up on the complete Chipmunk Christmas CD( 2007?) and in EMI/Capitol's Legends of Christmas Past(Xmas fans-do not pass these up in your explorations. Possibly others.

Silver Surfer likes this.
  18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And here's that. A pretty nervy record really, since it includes a slice of the actual Chipmunks record and sneaks on a bit of druggie humor. Apparently Bagdasarian was a good sport about it. (and yes, this did get airplay on major Top 40 stations at the time).

clhboa likes this.
  20. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

The big revelation as a kid was playing the 33 1/3 RPM Chipmunks LP at 16 RPM and discovering that the Chipmunks were all Dave Seville (Ross Bagdasarian).

clhboa likes this.
  21. Marshall

22. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

I have absolutely no idea why, but when I was a kid I was terribly disappointed when I learned that the chipmunks' voices were just sped up recordings of normal voices.

23. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

My one grandkid is now a teen,but about ten years ago I made her a CD-R(she doesn't even have something to play a CD on these days)of the Chipmunksand she informed me that she knew they weren't really chipmunks but pretend.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Mor importantly...which bird was on your head...? ;)

25. rkt88

she was cute. all i can say. i did not close that deal and yet i never told her her dad was takin the piss out of sy waronker :)

but what pissed me off as a kid was my pop never took me to meet bobby "boris" pickett because monster mash was the ****.

i had to settle for meeting captain kangaroo. ha. we had the same haircut, as i recall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.