Roxy Music - Avalon....why no audiophile treatment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richbdd01, Oct 30, 2016.

1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

SACD and SHM-SACD were noted. However, they are both ridiculously expensive.

Getting a SACD back in circulation at a reasonable price, through an "audiophile" release, would not necessarily be a bad thing.

The original CD, and flat transfer in the Roxy box, sound fine of course.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That makes sense. I thought that the reason that there are so many audiophile reissues of titles from the 90's and 00's was because original vinyl is very hard to find.

There were 24kt gold CD's for Madonna, Prince and Springsteen and many others (including the solo Beatles) released in Japan, but they were done by the main labels not farmed out to audiophile labels.

3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Michael Fremer wrote about it once. Ludwig confirmed for him it was analog if I recall. I've had two US copies, both with Masterdisk in the deadwax. They both sounded great. He also indicated the master tape was lost, which may explain why there are no "audiophile" reissues.

Vincent3, Tuco, marcfeld69 and 2 others like this.
  4. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i treasure my copy.original american pressing.one of the greatest sounding records i own.maybe the greatest.

jimhb and Stone Turntable like this.
  5. I really feel that the original is so good it really does not need a reissue. Why spend money on something you already own which is already so right? Just my random thoughts

Dave likes this.
  6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I didn't realise that audiophile-quality albums that don't happen to be released on "audiophile" labels are considered to not have the audiophile treatment. I guess my Dead Can Dance SACDs on regular ol' 4AD/Warner are totally bogus.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

no need

Dave likes this.
  8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Yep...barely good enough to use as a cat litter scoop.

Synthfreek likes this.
  9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Suppose you don't already own it? I see loads of copies around but they all look VG+ or VG++...never quite as mint as I want.

ausgraeme, cwd and Johan1880 like this.
  10. Good point!!!

11. Keep MSFL and other reissue labels away from Avalon!
    MSFL's remastering is so heavy that it distorts the sound.
    Case in point: Earth Wind & Fire's "That's the way of the world"

Dave and hi_watt like this.
  12. MFSL's mastering has been outstanding as of late and to base your opinion on one title is IMO misleading. And why would you not want a label such as AF or ORG to name but two not do a reissue?

13. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Same here!

14. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

FYI, Hi-Fi World magazine ran an article around the time of the SACD release, stating that the multi-track used was an early 90s, 16/48 digital copy of 2" analogue tape..not that there's anything wrong with that, of course:thumbsup:

15. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I don't understand why you wouldn't consider the SACD an audiophile treatment.

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm talking about back catalogue audiophile releases in the 90's not of 90's material. There were some from EMI as well as Speakers Corner and MFSL Anadisc 200. In print for years until the majors started releasing their own digital versions of late. Speakers Corner Crime Of The Century and GBYR AAA disappearing when Universal put out digital vinyl.

17. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Pfft.

cwd and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  18. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

The CD I have is HDCD encoded and sounds superb on the right equipment.

19. richbdd01

Well, you would say that probably 80% or more of analog releases are done now by audiophile labels only. There are very few mainstream analog releases. Most vinyl is digitally sourced so it is immediately at a disadvantage. Thats not to say that some digital releases arent spectacular, but most of the vinyl collectors on here want and appreciate full analog releases and very few of these reissues are done outside of the usual audiophile labels...Rhino being a welcome exception.

I just want an audiophile label to have a go at putting out a full analog reissue of this...although i understand the issue if the master tape is missing. A copy can sometimes get very close and i wonder if there is an analog master copy of Avalon. I know MFSL has done a few reissues from copy tapes.

This is one of my all time favourite records, maybe in my top 3. I just want a REALLY good copy of this at its best, preferably in Nr mint shape. Im interested in any suggestions of issues to look out for.

marcfeld69 and Angel66 like this.
  20. richbdd01

Thats interesting, a lot of people have said that this reissue sounds good. Interestingly, ive done some searching and someone quoted Fremer as saying that the Simply Vinyl edition is rubbish. However, some of his reviews and scores can sometimes raise eyebrows so im open-minded about him being wrong, especially as you are not the first to say that the Simply Vinyl edition sounds good. I think maybe he also made up his mind based upon their reputation as a whole, instead of treating it as an individual case.

21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Fremer hated Simply Vinyl because they refused to reveal their sources. Fair enough. I have the Simply Vinyl Avalon as well as several beautiful originals. They all sound marvelous. I'm about the biggest audiophile sucker around. If MFSL announces a $99 one step reissue of Avalon will I bite. I really don't think so. Too many other reissues that make a lot more sense. Sometimes I surprise even myself with my lack of sound judgement though so we'll see.

marcfeld69 and Gardo like this.
  22. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I agree. One of the best that I have!

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree as well. The 5.1 mix on the Avalon SACD is outstanding and one of my reference/demo surround discs :).

24. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I'm more than content with my Complete Studio Recordings box set. It's the final word for all things Roxy for me, at least in terms of studio recordings. It's one of the best collections of recordings I've ever owned. I can't see how anything on an audiophile is going to sound significantly better.

If they can come up with Deluxe Editions for the first two (or any other) albums with added content, I'm certainly in. Get those done and take my money, Mr. Ferry.

marcfeld69 and bruce2 like this.
  25. richbdd01

I bought that boxset, and sold it (the vinyl set) The main attraction of an audiophile reissue is that it may better the original. The boxset Avalon cut by Miles was lacking compared to the original. I much prefered the original 'arun' cut compared to Miles Showells digital half speed cut.