Roxy Music "Complete Studio Recordings" 10 CD Box (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

The Japanese SHM-Cds are indeed the 2000 masters, and they don't sound at all good against the 2012 versions. Way too LOUD for one thing (see the DR reading= 8 v 13).

jh901 likes this.
  2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Sorry for the bum steer there, SHFers! :hide:

3. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I usually like to get early CD issues and I was eventually going to search for the EG cd's but judging by the resounding praise throughout this thread I may change my mind and get this box instead. The ultimate selling point for me might actually be the fact that Manifesto includes the original mixes of Angel Eyes and Dance Away, which were substituted for the single versions on the early cd issues.

4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Get the box and enjoy the music now. Seek out the original 80s CDs over time for cheap in the used bins.

Popmarket had the box on sale recently for under $80 shipped. Maybe they'll have it again soon?

Quincy and PH416156 like this.
  5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

What he said :agree:

6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Why would anyone want the original 80s CDs when this wonderful boxset is available? I'll soon be listing my original CD of Country Music on Amazon/eBay.

brianvargo and T'mershi Duween like this.
  7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I collect early CDs, but I'm primarily interested in the best mastering quality for a given album. In this case, the best digital representation is the box. I won't be selling any of my US issued (made in WG or UK) 80s CDs and when the time comes I might even expand that collection (into early Japan market).

8. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Don't you mean Country Life?

Fullbug likes this.
  9. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I got this recently as it turned back up on Amazon UK at a decent price after looking like it was oop.

Personally I prefer the HDCD's but just changed my amp so I will give this another listen and see if I've changed my mind...my initial take was that these flat remasters did sound very flat :)

10. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Yes.

11. Sometimes a remaster just makes an original CD or a previous reissue completely redundant. This boxset is one of those times.

kyouki and Solace like this.
  12. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Some of the 1999 Bob Ludwig CDs sound alright to me however Avalon an 80s original is best .

13. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Then I'll just get the box and stick with that, as it seems to be the one everybody prefers. It does look rather handsome as well :)

One other question, though. I notice that the debut album in the box set excludes "Virginia Plain" per the original UK LP track list. I'm used to hearing the album with the track on there, how does it fare without it?

14. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Or maybe he meant Roxy Life :D

15. The first CD I had in a mini replica sleeve did not have 'Virginia Plain' on it. I was used to hearing the debut this way. Then I bought a remaster in a jewelcase that did contain 'Virginia Plain' and my first impressions were that the album sounded odd with the song inserted. Then I grew to like and eventually prefer the album with the song included. Now I have the boxset and 'Virginia Plain' is relegated to the 'Singles, B-Sides and Remixes' disc. Although I would have liked it to be on the debut in the boxset I overlook it because of the superior mastering.

bcaulf likes this.
  16. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Well I have to say it must make for a much better opener on that bonus disc than 'The Numberer' would have :sigh:

17. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I grew up with the US tracklist but the album just makes so much more sense without "Virginia Plain." When I first got a UK pressing of the first album, only around 10 years ago, I initially balked at it but soon came to like the album so much more. For as great a single as VP is, it just doesn't fit at all within what Roxy Music were doing for the rest of the album.

brianvargo likes this.
  18. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

We've had elements of this debate elsewhere but imho the secret to this is if your digital player is HDCD capable.

I've just used Beauty Queen from FYP for a quick analysis.

First I switched off the HDCD filter and compared the Ludwig version to the new box set version. The box set wins the Ludwig version sans HDCD sounds a bit sterile-the box set version is warmer.
    Previously as well I had found the box set was a bit flat but I now have a very holographic amp and that has helped the presentation.

However switch on the HDCD and that beats the box set. It has more detail just the edge on presentation that bit of compression on the Ludwig disc imho helps-it doesn't sound forced just a bit more lifelike-it's every bit as warm as the box set as well.

I know previously another poster agreed with the HDCD factor and it might not be true for everyone and also maybe not on every disc as I haven't worked through the whole series.....................

19. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Growing up with the UK album and "Virginia Plain" 45 as separate entities I find it a little incongruous as the recording is from a different time and place, not to devalue its magnificence of course, or the wonderful b-side ("The Numberer") either :)

bcaulf likes this.
  20. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Looks like the price of the box has shot quite a ways up. :cry:

21. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

A bit but when it was OOP or looking like it..it was about £100 for a second hand copy-you can get a new one for £61-about £20 more than I paid a few months back. It's not that great a package pretty basic box and sleeves but nice to have....

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

this box has gone down in price to about £37 3 times in the past week on Amazon.

23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

And what do you know, it has just gone back down to £37.00!

24. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

At that price it's a no brainer...............

25. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

Mine arrived yesterday. I like covers - thick cardboards are much better than mini LP covers from ELO, BOC, ZZ Top and Cheap Trick box sets.
    The sound is very good.