Roxy Music "Complete Studio Recordings" 10 CD Box (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 1, 2012.

1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

2. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

3. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Happening next year, along with For Your Pleasure.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/roxy-music-break-up-20141103

5. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I read about these planned releases this afternoon, in The Guardian. I'll believe it when I see it. Roxy has a long history of projects that have come to naught. Whither the 2011 live video, recorded in Manchester.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, Phil Manzanera let the word out that there are Deluxe reissues of the first two albums coming next year.

There are speculations about Steven Wilson remixes in surround and stereo. You can read details about these possible remixes on this thread on the QQ forum.

Mik and stereoptic like this.
  7. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

:righton:To this box.

8. I wonder if we'll get 24bit/96kHz releases this time around. The Complete Studio Recordings was originally supposed to contain all the albums and the bonus material in high resolution on 4 DVDs as well as including 8 CDs. This decision was changed at the last minute and the high resolution DVDs were dropped. In the end it was released as a 10 CD set only, but still with the bonus material.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...ds-from-roxy-music-studio-recordings-box-set/

9. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Didn't know they planned DVDs, but SHM-SACDs are coming soon.

art likes this.
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yep, I really wanted those flat trnasfers in Hi-Res... If Steven Wilson is indeed on board that's probable we'll get them along with stereo and surround remixes.

11. I don't think 5.1 surround sound mixes were ever planned when The Complete Studio Recordings was announced, just the original stereo mixes in high resolution. Having said that, you never know what they might of planned since then. I don't like the sound of them being flat transfers though. Most recordings need some sort of mastering (EQing) to get the most out of them, provided the remastering is done properly, of course IMO.

12. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

The sound on The Complete Studio Recordings box is amazingly good and miles better than the '99 remasters. In this case I hope they leave the mastering alone for the Deluxe Editions.

kyouki, sound chaser and formu_la like this.
  13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You may not have heard there are Deluxe Editions of the first 2 albums tentatively coming next year, and Steven Wilson has been rumoured to have worked on them... That's why I brought it up.

On your second point, I agree that Avalon on this box doesn't sound as good as the SACD.

14. This would explain the dearth of previously unreleased material on the box.

15. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

How does it compare to the original EG? I think I read that this was the only album in the whole box that wasn't quite as sensational as the original cd.

16. I find it hard to think that individual Roxy Music albums as Deluxe Editions will feature just a flat transfer from the 2-track master with no remastering. The bonus material will probably be the same as what's from those album's eras that are on The Complete Studio Recordings.

When they first announced that they were releasing The Complete Studio Recordings (with the high resolution Audio DVDs included) the bonus tracks were going to be attached to each appropriate album, which sounds a bit like a Deluxe Edition of each album itself. When they dropped the high resolution Audio DVDs they also put all the bonus material on 2 separate CDs instead and kept the bonus tracks separate from each album.

If these Deluxe Editions are freshly remastered, don't automatically assume that they will sound like the 1999 HDCD remasters. Who's Steven Wilson?

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Not sure if you're jesting or serious, so I'll put on my straight face and just answer.

Why, isn't it just what this boxset is, flat transfers of the original masters on CD?

Just a talented musician from the band Porcupine Tree originally, a guy who has been in recent years remixing in stereo and surround most albums by King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Yes, and some by ELP, Tears for Fears, Gentle Giant, XTC, Hawkwind; and also putting out flat transfers of the original mixes (in Hi-Res no less) on the best value-for-the-money definitive reissues of classic albums.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

What I am saying is if the rumours that Steven Wilson is involved in the Deluxe reissues of the first 2 albums are true, then we can expect:
    stereo and surround remixes in Hi-Res,
    flat transfer of the original mix in Hi-Res,
    more assorted bonus tracks like alternate takes and demos,
    and possibly a remaster of the original mix, and live versions.

stereoptic likes this.
  19. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

If the Complete Studio Recordings box ends up being the 2nd best presentation of the material then you're doing a mighty fine job with the catalog! I assumed I was done after getting this box as they sound so great and I got away with only having to rebuy about half of the set as I had holes in my collection. But for those who aren't familiar with Steven Wilson (as Plan9 explains) check out The Yes Album, Close To The Edge or the Relayer CD/Blu-Ray reissues or the King Crimson CD/DVD-A packages. These are how 21st century reissues should be done. And so for a few of my favorite Roxy Music albums I could see possibly buying a few again. And no I'm not complaining.

hutlock likes this.
  20. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I'm in the same boat. I adore the first two albums (first five honestly) and even though I just recently got this box, I could see rebuying a couple of them if the bonus material is worth it or if the SHM-SACD versions sound markedly better than the versions in the box.

My wallet secretly hopes that I'm done buying, of course...

Quincy likes this.
  21. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

My favorite mastering of Avalon is actually the target CD. The SACD has the best fidelity but is not as easy on the ears as the target.

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

If recent history is any indication, then the folks issuing the SHM-SACDs will have selected a great mastering engineer. I'd guess that the tapes are in the UK, so perhaps Tim Young (he remastered Sex Pistols SHM-SACD). In any event, I've pre-ordered 3 titles.

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I need to get the Complete CD box eventually, but it's going to have to wait for another month at least. Is this thing technically out of print now?

24. Yes it is, but I was referring to the upcoming Deluxe Editions. I was being serious, of course.

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

My guess is that they will use the Hi-Res flat transfers presumably done for this Complete Studio Recordings boxset and just convert them to DSD for the SHM-SACDs.