Roxy Music "Complete Studio Recordings" 10 CD Box (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 1, 2012.

1. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Picked it up in-store for 87 bucks at Bullmoose in case your interested.Cheapest price on Amazon was $120. from 3rd party sellers.Saw amazon did not have it in stock anymore.
    So I figured I'd better grab the box now in case these remasters aren't done very well (hoping they are) and it gets tough to find and costs $$$$

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It will take a lot for me. I have several of Wilson's quality productions, but the bonus material holds the key. He may make the lp sound better, but I doubt if it will be light years better than this box. As I'm a late Roxy person, Manifesto will be my starting point. While the box has helped me to appreciate some songs on the earlier lps, I still won't be buying 2 cd editions of them, no matter what.

3. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

But, have you heard the box set 'Avalon'?

4. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I would love this to be true, but where has the rumour that 'Steven Wilson is working on Roxy remasters' come from?
    I may be completely wrong, but I've not seen this mentioned anywhere but here, and it seems to be basically just wishful thinking.
    I hope I am wrong as I reckon Wilson could do a cracking job on any Roxy remasters, but I'm just wondering if we're not all jumping the gun on this, and, like many things on the internet, this is simply a wish becoming a rumour becoming a 'fact'.

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It has never been said they're anything more than speculations at this point. Click on the second link above and you'll get all the details.

BTW, Steven Wilson does remixes, not remasters.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  6. moops

moops Senior Member

Anyone who keeps their finger on the pulse of the Forum gossip columns knows that Steven Wilson will be remixing the Roxy catalogue right after he's done remixing the Genesis remixes back to exact copies of the original mixes to restore harmony to the Forum once more.

7. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

The man's a musical Hercules but restoring harmony to the Forum is a labour too far!

moops likes this.
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Since none of you seem to be able to click on the link I posted I'll repost this here:

9. moops

moops Senior Member

Well, that does seem to hint that SW just may end up with his finger in the Roxy pie somewhere in the future. Thanks for posting, sorry I didn't read it earlier ....... :wave:

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

"Cardboard sleeve reissue from Roxy Music features SHM-SACD format and HR cutting from the 2014 DSD master, using the UK original analog master."

Nope. The Lennon were done as you suggest and I was fine with that. They didn't claim otherwise.

11. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Wait...did Phil Manzanera call Steven Wilson "this guy"?
    Cheeky!

Plan9 likes this.
  12. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Thanks Plan9 - the Manzanera quotes come from over two years ago and don't specifically mention Wilson by name, but the Ghostwriter blurb does, and that's surely sanctioned by SW himself. So I'd agree that this does indeed point to the fact that he's involved.

13. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

So did the remastered CDs ever get released separately?

14. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

What, that'd be too easy! (No they haven't). ;-)

15. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Don't mean to burst your bubble but I did pick up my box for under $70 this past summer new and sealed off Amazon via Zoverstock's..Guess they are getting scarcer..but well worth it...I am one of those rare earlier fans that also enjoy the prior cd re releases but this box is a winner and a remedy to the generally brighter and louder Ludwig's although I still listen and like them and listen to some of my earlier West German cd's....all different all good.

16. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I gave the whole catalog of Ludwig CD's to my daughter... I can't imagine ever reaching for them with the box set at hand.

kyouki, johnny q and pdenny like this.
  17. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Well you are a good Dad...my 3 kids,all 23 and under hate my music....I hope their disdain of my music does not go too much deeper...
    Despite having my original LP's and the rest of the cd's bought numerous times (even the Thrill Of It All Box) I too prefer the new box but hope you kept the live albums...

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

They'll come around.

jerrygene likes this.
  19. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Well, the older daughter I gave the CD's to is turning 40 in two weeks, a different generation. She's always loved Roxy Music and has pretty eclectic tastes; mainly electronic music these days or electo-based art-pop from the 80's and beyond. She followed the left field of music very closely as a teenager and in those pre-Guliani years a 15-year old kid could go to CBGB and other clubs without a problem. She also explores some favorite country artists and got excited about some obscure female folk singers a few years ago... her ears remain open.

Guitar-based rock is not her thing though. She's generally turned-off by the sound of an electric guitar when it takes center stage (I guess Phil Manzanera gets a pass).

I'm taking a 3-day road trip with my younger daughter next week... we don't talk about music too much and I'm curious what she'll select off my iPod. She doesn't have one currently and I don't think her iPhone has much music. We'll see.

20. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Well as Metralla said above I hope my kid's will "inherit" my cd collection (and find favor with it !)
    And to think about it a bit more I have an extensive jazz collection with considerable Big Band that I could not listen to 40 years ago but now I recall my Mom singing Temptation and Miller and my Dad singing old Ellingtonian era stuff and lo and behold I am doing the same....
    Enjoy your trip. Please continue to listen to Diamond Head...

Guy E likes this.
  21. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I bought my Complete Studio Recordings soon after it was released, from Phil Manzanera's website. My Virginia Plain is the correct, 7" version - I just compared it to The Thrill Of It All and Roxy Music (Virgin ROXYCD 1) and they are the same, stereo mix, except the latter two are louder. So the wrong mix for VP just have been corrected soon afterward the first batch.

22. stevepafford

stevepafford Well-Known Member

I didn't realise there were two mixes for Virginia Plain? I did read an interview with Ferry some time ago where he's aid they'd corrected an error on the track for future compilations. I wonder if it's one and the same?

23. Ope. No word on this ether but maybe they will be part of the individual boxed releases for the first two albums.

24. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

By the way, something that nobody seems to have noticed so far. "She Sells", from "Siren", runs 10 seconds longer on this new boxset compared to the 1999 CD. Is this extended than the vinyl or was the 1999 a shortened version with an earlier fade?

25. As I recall it mimics the vinyl version.