Roxy Music "Complete Studio Recordings" 10 CD Box (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I'm curious if this box is already out of print (it's still in stock on Amazon USA but seems to be deleted or out of stock elsewhere). I ordered a copy as a BD gift to myself from Zoverstocks (they had the lowest price I could find) in September but it was lost in transit. Is there any confirmed info regarding a second press run? I see that a couple of e-tailers set December 3rd as availability (or even "release", whatever that means) date, but it may mean back-ordering, not actual re-pressing.

2. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Get it quickly

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

It's a bit too late now, and I can hardly afford ordering it from Amazon USA (the lowest price right now) because we Europeans have to add VAT (21%) to all pricey USA orders. Still, I have a hope that it will be re-pressed because there's still demand (scalpers don't count) and it was even nominated for "Re-release of the Year". Or there should be separate releases of all albums (it's really dumb that the new budget 5CD set released in Europe this fall uses the older HDCD masterings, the music business seems to be at odds with itself).

4. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

Never ceases to amaze me how disjointed it still is. I could understand this in the pre-global village era, but today? Hmm...

5. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Keep an eye on Amazon Marketplace.

6. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Listening to Flesh+Blood right now, and comparing against a E'G/W.German Polydor 800 019-2 pressing, and my EQ edits I did on that same pressing.
    The vocals are much more like it now, for sure. Ferry has a smooth cleanliness that just wasn't there on the older pressing. I actually made EQ changes myself to beef up a little low end and bring his voice more into touch in the mids, and this new 2012 goes a step further than I really could.

That said however, I think the sax at the end of Oh Yeah is just a little thin and starts to screech at me. I don't have the notes of exactly what I did to EQ the old pressing, but the top end just starts to roll fractionally under on the spectrum on my EQ. The 2012 is way higher at the top.

I'm gonna EQ myself my preference and give it a good testing. The 2012 is definitely a good place to start for this album, better than the old pressing I tried with.

Here's a zoomed in spectrum real-time-average snapshot showing 800 019-2 in Green, 800 019-2 EQ'd in Blue and 2012 in Red. You get the picture. 2012 = more bottom and a lot more top.
    This is from Oh Yeah, at the point when the sax first builds up holding a note and then just as it starts to slur the note. Oh yes, and the 2012 was dropped 1.5dB and playback speed was changed to 0.995075.

[​IMG]

kyouki likes this.
  7. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I get the box now, and I listen just the 1st album, sounds great, so dynamic, bass, drums etc.. and natural BUT! and I know I know that preserve NOISE! on music is good BUT!!!! ouch!!! 20% of the sound is pure noise in the back, why??? here's and example in "ladytron" first secods: http://jumpshare.com/v/y76NY2

or listen the first seconds on 2H.B sounds little a needle drop with some click and pops...

maybe the recording of later albums is better...

any comment??

bobcat likes this.
  8. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Sounds like a little tape hiss to me.:shrug:

9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes and the true I dont like...
    Im not sound engineer of course and call me stupid but... that noise is not part of the song... that noise is not one more instrument... so why exist? (maybe for another discussion about noise on music but...)

10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Well, I am. It is tape hiss and was part of the recording process. You remove or try to minimize it & part of the original recording is compromised.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

and whats the point of keep that tape hiss in the recording process? the tech of that time dont let remove it?

12. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

It's always been there is all I can say. Maybe resulting from an Eno effect of some sort??

13. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Nothing can be done about the hiss, imo

14. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Right. Not without detriment.

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

No, it's part and parcel of the recording. Funny, I've never really noticed it.

full moon likes this.
  16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

You can't remove it with major sonic consequences.

ShallowMemory and full moon like this.
  17. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Tape hiss, effect hiss or whatever obviously couldn't have been removed at the time, that is why it's there on the recording (because these are from the master tapes I think?).
    At different points along the time line of releases of the track, there probably has been noise reduction applied, and that has taken it's toll on the rest of the sonics.
    If you are that fussy about it, you could try running it through various noise reduction algorithms you can find as effects for PC/Mac software. You'll see or hear what the problem is when you try and remove it.

I think I have read that our host, Mr Hoffman, has had master tapes with hiss on them, but because his mastering system is very low noise (high quality playback unit, removing unneeded processes from the signal chain etc) the noise stays as low as it can. Maybe they were just a bit lazy in their transferring.

18. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

IIRC that was on the LP as well. It's rather insignificant IMO. Hardly notice it personally.

19. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Do I need to hurry up and buy this box set while it's still available, or will it be for sale indefinitely?

20. live evil

live evil Senior Member

It appears as if it might already be out of print, so you might want to buy it if you can find it.

21. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Best sounding box set of the year IMO.

Carlox, chumlie and mj_patrick like this.
  22. gjkendall

gjkendall Forum Resident

Would love to see a Bryan Ferry boxset as well! Loving the Roxy set with a passion!

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Got this set this past week and found that not a single disc is recognized by my Denon 3910, though the discs play fine in my computer, my work computer and my Rega Apollo. Wondering if anyone else has the same Denon CD player and has had this problem.

I do really like the set and would buy a similar one of Bryan Ferry's solo material if available.

mj_patrick likes this.
  24. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Was just comparing the 7" version of "Dance Away" with the 1986 Street Life: 20 Great Hits compilation track.

Dropping the new 2012 track by 0.3 dB gets them in the same level ball park in perceived loudness. The reason for this is not because someone added compression, I think it is more because someone scooped the mids a little on the 1986 compilation track. Analysis indicate that the tape source is a higher generation on the compilation too, with upper end fast roll off.
    Initially I preferred the 2012 track, had more body for sure. I then started to lean towards the 1986 compilation track for cleanliness and space between instruments. I finally settled on the 2012 because it actually sounded right. Everything is there, it's full bodied and rich. Nothing is missing or muddied up or woolly'd over.

I am drawing a general conclusion that the later material Manifesto, Flesh+Blood, Avalon era are very decent on this box set, and actually improve over previously available masterings in a lot of cases.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  25. Zoverstocks has it for $75 US which is a decent price and, since it ships from the UK, I would assume VAT doesn't apply.

Bronth likes this.