Roxy Music "Complete Studio Recordings" 10 CD Box (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 1, 2012.

1. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Yes, I knew that, thanks.

But I thought you meant a stereo remix rather than the 5.1 one.

Steve Wilson created a stereo remix but it wasn't used. Unless it crept out somehow...

2. No, it hasn't although it would have been nice. It was my fault as I wasn't clear in my post. Having said that, I may have to see if I can do a downmix of the 5.1 and see how it sounds in stereo. It wouldn't be quite the same however.

Of the Ludwig remasters, the debut is the one that is probably the best as it does deal with the deficits of the original recording to a degree. I just dislike the compression.

bobcat likes this.
  3. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

$177.50 CAD + $15.00 CAD shipping

bobcat likes this.
  4. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Yeah, well I count Eno even though his career kind of took his own venture :) I have the 2004 remasters for those, and 80's discs for Ferry and Manzanera. Check out Diamond Head and K-Scope. Great albums and the old EG's sound good.

bobcat likes this.
  5. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Just a bit more than me.

I don't know about you but I wish I had gone for it back when the box came out.....

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  6. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

For early Eno, are the 2004 remasters recommended around these parts?

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes

Dennis Metz, bobcat and bcaulf like this.
  8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have not tried but my Oppo BDP 103EU does sort of make a 5.1 mix stereo for playback on a 2 speaker hi fi. I don't have 5.1.

wayneklein and bobcat like this.
  9. luckybaer

Great job getting it for <= US$150. That’s a good deal for a near-mint set.

bobcat likes this.
  10. I will have to do this as I have the U,S. Equivalent thanks!

Flaming Torch likes this.
  11. Well you live and learn. I was still hoping for the deluxe 5.1 versions of each album but bit anyway at the time because I had already waited a couple of years for the 5.1 version. Given that these are all gatefold sleeves to me it’s clear that they had designed the set with the blue ray and cd for each set in mind but perhaps the cost point, the fact that they still had not done any 5.1 mixes except for the debut or Ferry proposing a deluxe for each album clearly changed things. If they do anymore deluxe reissues, I would like to see the price point dropped and the inclusion of the remix on CD. Getting Ferry so involved in these was both good and bad—the debut is a handsome set.

Honestly, if they release a blu-ray, the original album remixed, outtakes, demos and live shows, it would certainly make the set more worthwhile.

12. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

It kind of tells you how to do in the menu for the Oppo onscreen or the instruction book.

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I haven't been able to do a good downmix yet. Mainly because I don't know how to adjust the levels properly.

wayneklein likes this.
  14. That's my problem.

15. If you buy used for "Another Green World" be aware that "Everything Merges with the Night" when it was first released had the beginning cut off. It was fixed on a redone disc that was available and later reissues had the corrected disc but who knows how many of the old discs are floating around out there?

SOONERFAN and bobcat like this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Couldn't anybody help out two forum fellows who are down on their luck?
    [​IMG]

Max Florian and wayneklein like this.
  17. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

LOVE MY BOX SET.

good stuff !

kyouki likes this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No surround-to-stereo downmix is perfect, but I kinda like the Dolby ProLogic II method:

If both the Front channels level is 1.0, then
    Center and LFE are 0.7070
    Surrounds are blended in 0.8165 to their respective side, and 0.5774 to their opposite side

If you use Dolby AC3 as source, you have to invert the phase on one of the surround channels, otherwise don't touch it.

Rne, Max Florian and wayneklein like this.
  19. Thanks, I will give it a try. I enjoy the 5.1 mix but there are times when I really want to hear it in stereo.

Max Florian likes this.
  20. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Did you ever do the above comparison?

Would be interesting to hear your conclusion.

21. luckybaer

Thanks for reminding me. I've been so busy cleaning up my music collection (getting rid of lossy files, re-ripping to FLAC, obtaining better sounding releases, and ripping vinyl to PC), that I haven't had too much time to do any critical listening. I will try and relax and enjoy the music, and one of the things I would like to do is compare my Roxy Music releases (except for those remastered HDCD versions. Since I don't have anything that reads HDCD (or rips HDCD), they are too loud for my tastes).

SOONERFAN and bobcat like this.
  22. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

The 2003 SACDs, 2013 SHM-CDs, 2015 SHM-SACDs and 2015 Platinum SHM-CDs all uses the same mastering? Cheers.

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The 2003 SACDs and 2015 SHM-SACDs are completely different masterings.

The Best Of Roxy Music (SACD) is not good, but Avalon is excellent, has a M-ch mix plus a bonus track in the M-ch program. Those were the only Roxy SACDs done originally (though Bryan Ferry's Boys & Girls and Frantic did get the M-ch SACD treatment back then).

There are no mastering credits on the Complete Studio box (CD), so it is unclear whether the 2015 SHM-SACDs (which are flat transfers from the UK master tapes) are the same, or not. I'm tempted to say that they are, or were created at the same time -- why master the catalog twice so close in time?

I have no idea about the various SHM-CDs, but, based on other threads here, caution is needed as some do use the DSD masters made for the SHM-SACDs as the source, and some do not. A site like CDJapan or Discogs may have the information to identify which SHM-CDs are sourced from the DSD masters.

Hatchet Jack likes this.
  24. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Thank you very much! When someone here says that some SHM release is superior to the mastering from the box set (like they do with the first album, for example), which SHM they're talking about then? Cheers.

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The Complete Studio boxset and the 2015 SHMs contain different transfers. They are not the same, although some albums are very close, some don't even seem to come from the same tape.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Flaming Torch and Hatchet Jack like this.