Roxy Music debut album, Deluxe/Super Deluxe Edition (March 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rne, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Having just heard one of the SACD's I think the Roxy box is pretty close, and (was) a huge value all things considered.

It's too bad the box for the debut album could not include a decent mastering of the album.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  2. That and the fact that there is no stereo mix on the DVDV, and that it’s is DVD to begin with and not Blu-ray audio. All missed opportunities. I suppose since I have the albums box and SHM-SACD I can customize & complete my own Roxy Music super deluxe box set, regardless.

3. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

We should get a super SACD company to do a proper release. Since it would be audio only it would not take away from the market for the other box.

4. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

It's not a "line", it's a part of some kind of photographer's equipment (maybe one of those metal bars they use to keep sheets or background papers in place). It's also visible in some of the color alternative shots in the book.
    The designers could have cropped the picture to avoid the irritation.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification - agreed they could have airbrushed it.

6. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

So I used handbrake to remove the Steve Wilson remix to a mkv file, then jriver to create a 24 bit 44khz stereo version of the 5.1 source. If Steve had intentions to release a stereo version that mirrors the 5.1 exactly, then that is why I now have. It does sound great and does differ in many parts than the original.

I can now better have a sense of why the stereo version of this was not on the mass market CD. I think they did not want to confuse people with no sense of Roxy by including only this version.

But I think the real plan is for a subsequent budget version that actually has more content as it will be on blu ray. Well here's looking .....

Max Florian, Rne, chaz and 1 other person like this.
  7. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

It would be really interesting to know why the stere remix was not included.
    Shame that interview with Mackay did not dwell on that subject, as they asked about
    the remaster used. Guess he was the wrong person to ask as he admits to know nothing about the tech stuff.
    I find it hard to believe that people with no sense of Roxy will buy this box....
    ...for me it's obvious that the target are die hard fans...

8. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

You have to understand that sometime the stereo mix from Steven appears on the CD because that's the way licencing has happened from thevoriginal record company.
    I believe Steven has gone on record as saying they are not and never were intended to replace the original mixes on any of his releases and his preference is that they don't use them, he delivers them as part of a package as he uses his stereo remix to produce the 5.1 mix

9. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Not so sure about that! He said something about the main thing for him is the 5.1 mix, and that the stereo remix is added as an option, not meant to replace the original mix, as they usually are included.... I could be wrong, try to locate the source, and get back to yah!

10. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I agree with you.

I am 99.9 per cent certain that he has never said that his preference is that they don't use them. (In fact, if that was the case, what would be the point of creating them in the first place?)

In fact I am pretty sure he said he was disappointed (or at least surprised) that his Roxy stereo remix was not used.

With his Jethro Tull work, the original mixes are only on the DVDs while the stereo remixes are on the DVDs (in high rez) and on the CDs in the multi-disc sets and are also the only mix on the CD-only versions so I would say that they take precedence.

Galeans and fRa like this.
  11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm not sure why some are suggesting the new stereo mix "isn't intended to replace the original mix" in the context of this set. This set has reused a master that is looked down on, even by hardcore fans. Those fans will likely already own the original mix in some fashion - so Steve Wilson's mix would have "value add", at the very least. I can't see a £150 box set being the first time purchasers choice... not at that price point. The lack of the Wilson stereo mix - even if was confined to DVD only - is a travesty, imo.

12. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

The Wilson mix should have been Disc One, and the original put on the DVD. Instead, out of four discs, the first is one I'll never play ! It's a shame, as there was plenty of scope to bring out some interesting nuances. One of these days I'll get 5.1...I'll certainly have plenty lined up to play on it !

bobcat likes this.
  13. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

Currently $79.45 on Amazon.com

14. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

THANK YOU!!

15. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

16. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

Temporaly out of stock. Ouch

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It's out of stock at Amazon. But the set is available at many other places just not at $80. I ordered the set from Amazon yesterday at $80 and if it doesn't ship that's fine.

18. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Thank you! I really wanted this set, despite its obvious flaws and omissions, but there was no way I was going to pay the full retail price for it.

EDIT: I just ordered it successfully right now, so try, try again if you missed out before.

19. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I was refering to the precedent post that was Linkedto Amazon.com. I don't want to spend much money in this.

20. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The price on Amazon is still $79.45 even though it is out of stock I still ordered it as that is the price I will be charged once it is back in stock, although I stil think this Box Set is still only worth $60-$65 with the original Ludwig 1999 CD of no value to me, but I would break it down to each CD worth $10 and the DVD worth $15 so that is $45 there, then the book is worth $20-$25 as how much would most people read or look at it?

Maybe since Amazon did not raise the price so far since this Deluxe Set went out of stock temporarily, they realized not many people, who are fans were not going to pay $160 for a Box Set with less Music Value than most other Box Sets. Also, the average DR#s for all 3 CDs in this Box Set are terrible.

formu_la, zphage and Dino like this.
  21. Indeed, that's how the Tull sets are and the XTC two disc sets put the original mix on the Blu-ray with the 5.1 mix. It would make sense. Honestly, I'm not sure what Bryan Ferry was thinking with this surely he realizes that most folks already have the first disc which is useless. Nice coaster though.

22. I suspect the reason the b-side isn't included is that Ferry wanted to keep the set "clean" i.e., only material that ended up on the album. It's also the only track not written by Ferry (it's by Andy MacKay).

CWillman likes this.
  23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

The book in the box is a high end expensive to produce coffee table affair. If you don't want or like it is another matter. I know about books and there is no way a book of this quality would sell for $20.
    Bryan's background is in art, Roxy were an arty band and not your bog standard greasy rock band. He was never going to allow a cheap looking book be included in this box set.

24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I will need to wait until I see the actual book to determine it's value, but I measure books against Bowie Book from last year, 'The Golden Years'(Griffin) that was selling for $40 on Amazon-US at the time(not sure if it still is the same price). So if the Book in the Box Set comes close to that book, then $80 is a fair price(at least for those, who will play the Remastered CD, but I will just play the one from 'The Complete Recordings' Box Set or the West Germany 1st Press CD I recently bought in NM Condition for a decent price.

Now just waiting to see when Amazon-US has this Box Set back in stock.

25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The whole set of flat transfers in card sleeves are in my opinion very good and have lovely mini cd packaging. Worth getting if you are a fan. The mini sleeves of the 1999 remasters are also superb.
    Back to this deluxe box I have one but am yet to really dig into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.