Roxy Music debut album, Deluxe/Super Deluxe Edition (March 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rne, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I agree a tatty Roxy box would be a very odd beast. On a music side this deluxe release does include previously unreleased material some of which has never been on boot. I agree with others that the £130 I paid is a touch expensive but there you go.

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I saw it listed for $80 on the walmart.com site yesterday. Today it has vanished!

3. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

I wouldn't wait till it gets back in stock to order it. They could easily raise the price again when it's back in stock. I'd order now; I doubt it will be that long before they get new stock.

bob60 and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I mentioned 2 posts ago that I did order it at that price even though it was shown to be Out of Stock, but thanks for the heads up.

CWillman likes this.
  5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

The problem with waiting for price drops as that these sets often go out of print very quickly so you could miss out if you wait to long. I know I have in the past.
    I would say about now is the time to jump in.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  6. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Okay, the price at Amazon just jumped back up by $57.

7. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Hey Bill. You talked me out of getting it at $80 and now you order it? You need to step away from these forums for a while. It’s easier on the wallet. :D

Bill Mac likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I read your post quickly and thought the price was at $57 :eek:! I quickly ran over to Amazon where it's up to $137.19. I should learn not to speed read posts here at SH ;).
    I hear you :help:! Well at least I didn't talk you into buying it because I was buying it then cancel my order :laugh:. Now that would be just cruel!

ti-triodes likes this.
  9. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Has there been any kind of notification that this will be the first in a series - that they'll be doing (some or all) of the rest of the catalog? Or is that just wishful thinking at this point?

10. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

None that I know of...the only hint might be the stuff they left off from the Demos and BBC Sessions, songs which turned up on F Y Pleasure `Grey Lagoons' for example.

marmil likes this.
  11. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I think Steve Wilson also did a remix of For Your Pleasure. So if this one sells okay there will probably be another.

12. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

'For Your Pleasure' is my favorite Roxy Music Album(keeping in mind that I just got into their music 3 years a go when I bought 'The Complete Recordings' Box Set and 'Viva'-Live Album on CD), so I am hoping very much that there will be a Deluxe Set for that album, although would still only pay around $80 like I just did for the ST Box Set. Hoping to get the SW Remix on Stereo also though if there is a FYP Deluxe Box Set.

After that album, I liked the the next 3 albums even though Eno had left the band, but the last 3 albums while not bad, are not as good as the first 5 albums-IMO. 'Avalon' sounds like a Ferry Solo Album to me, but he has put out some great Solo Albums(that I just discovered last year finding several of them Used in NM Condition).

13. Flaming Torch

As a gumby fan I would buy deluxe versions of the albums up to and including Siren. I love those first 5 albums. When they came back and made the next 3 they (Roxy) were in my opinion a very different beast and I would need some real unreleased and interesting stuff to buy those as deluxe editions at £130 each.
    I love Bryan's first 2 solo albums and the Lets Stick Together album. I would certainly go for deluxe versions of them as well.

14. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I agree that the band is a different beast on the last three albums. It seems that most people on this forum and another I frequent prefer the latter albums. I’m with you in that I prefer the earlier albums, but I still love all of them. I would love a deluxe of For Your Pleasure with a 5.1 mix, especially since it seems SW did one a while back.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  15. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

The price on Amazon US has gone down again.

scobb likes this.
  16. Flaming Torch

Interesting re the 2 slightly different fan bases. I saw them play Wembley (London) a few years back with both Phil and Chris Spedding. Great show and I was surprised (and for me it was a good thing) how little Avalon era stuff they played. Loads of stuff from the first 5 albums.
    I have all the recent sacds from Japan of the 8 albums and the Complete Box but I do not have early cds of the later 3 albums just my old vinyl copies. Bit like the Doors, Zeppelin and a few others it is a great concise catalogue of 8 albums, a live one and to my knowledge relatively few best ofs etc.

SJP and AZRunner like this.
  17. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

When you aren't touring an album, not to mention not having put out a new one since 1982, there is a lot of freedom to mine your catalogue as one sees fit. Look at the songs played during the 2001 round of reunion shows as evidenced by the live album that followed. Per Discogs, "All 22 songs used throughout the 51 date tour have been used on this album." Here is the breakdown:

Debut, 3
    For Your Pleasure, 4
    Stranded, 3
    Country Life, 1
    Siren, 2
    Manifesto, 1
    Flesh and Blood, 2
    Avalon, 4
    non-album singles, 2

I wouldn't call Avalon with 4 underrepresented but it's true that the first three albums were best represented, and rightly so. 22 songs is a healthy number (if they ever played all of those in a single set. I saw this tour when it finally hit Southern California in August of 2003 and they managed to play 19 of the 22 (set list websites are your friend!).

Speaking of set lists, how far back was a few years ago at Wembley? The set list site puts that in 2001 and I couldn't locate any other sign of Roxy Music playing Wembley since then. That is quite a few years back, time certainly flies! :)

edit: Interestingly, at least to me, if you break apart the albums into eras, the balance in the set list becomes evident.

Eno era (first two albums + 1 non-album single), 8
    Mid-Period (Stranded through Siren), 6
    Latter period (Manifesto through Avalon + 1 non-album single), 8

If anything, you can say that the mid-period was a bit underrepresented but overall, the balance is very decent.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  18. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Andy Mackay's SDE interview:
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/interview/exclusive-andy-mackay-on-roxy-music/

marmil and CWillman like this.
  19. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

So it currently shows $79,45 but not available - I took a chance and made an order. Even if it becomes available at a higher prize I sure hope my order gets through.

20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Does it include the DVD as it says 3 CD's?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  21. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Temp out of stock on Amazon, I ordered it backorder...held out as long as I could but I can't resist this

bob60 likes this.
  22. Yes. It most certainly does.

bob60 likes this.
  23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Mine arrived yesterday. The nicest box set ever:cheers::cheers:

bob60, boboquisp, alx7 and 1 other person like this.
  24. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

Yep, it says 3CD/DVD super deluxe edition on my order.

bob60 likes this.
  25. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

Great 5.1 mix. So much Eno. Well worth the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.