Roxy Music debut album, Deluxe/Super Deluxe Edition (March 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rne, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nope. The 1999 remaster was done by Ludwig. I would hardly call it the best mastering out there--it's compressed and has some peak limiting applied as well.

As to the set, I'm a Roxy fanatic but what we are getting is overpriced.

Joti Cover likes this.
  2. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

With music sales in the dumps the only thing left for the labels were these deluxe sets and now more and more they are screwing those up with lousy content and exorbitant prices for what is offered. It won't be long before they cease to be a money making proposition and they will blame low sales numbers for not producing them any further.

The Ludwig '99 remaster? Seriously?? o_O

3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Sorry meant from the album sessions.

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Passed

5. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

At the end of That promo video lists it 180 gram lps as an option but no specifics

I'll stick w my UK lp originals, studio box cd flat transfers and Musicladen live video performance

sound chaser likes this.
  6. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

The SACD flat transfers are so good, there is no reason to ever need another mastering of these albums. If this were $40 I’d bite for the extras.

Tojo, Maffune, art and 2 others like this.
  7. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I agree but they will still make them. People are buying and raving about much worse re-releases than this thing will probably be.

8. BlueSpeedway

Didn’t they already put the Ludwig remasters on vinyl some years back? They had some gold Capitol sticker on or something IIRC, with a poster inside. I tried Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure not knowing what masters they used, but they sounded like the 1999 CDs pressed onto vinyl to me, and I swiftly got rid of them.

9. The 5.1 mix would be cool to have but this is way overpriced.

Michael D, mdm08033 and fredblue like this.
  10. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I only have 2-channel these days after many many years of being a surround sound junkie. Doubt I’ll ever hear the 5.1 of this.

11. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

If this set were hypothetically released in pieces, I'd be willing to buy the b-sides disc for $10, the BBC sessions disc for $10, the DVD video disc for $14 (though if it were DVD-Audio and higher resolution, bump that amount to $25), and the book for $20. Maybe $10 more for the slipcase and large card for inserting the separate discs.

I already have the Roxy Music box set with the wonderful mastering of their entire set of albums, so I have zero desire to buy what everyone is saying is a lesser remastering by Bob Ludwig of their first album.

Therefore, I don't see myself buying this box set for more than about $60 new, or about $40 used. Yes, I realize this means it'll probably pass me by, but that's okay with me. I can play the hard numbers game for my own bank accounts, just about as well as the bean counters who helped the label apparently set the list price atrociously high.

Craig.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The 5.1 isn't really "hi-res" by most definitions since it is lossy only on the DVD.
    No announcement for a hi-res download and I doubt there will be one.

The 1999 version is a remaster of the original mix, not a remix. It's the standard CD you can find everywhere.
    The 2012 Complete Studio Recordings boxset has a different master than that, it is still the original mix, but seemingly transferred "flat" (no mastering). It sounds better than the 1999 remaster.
    Don't count on a standalone release of the Steven Wilson remix in the future. If they wanted it out, they would have included it here. Even SW isn't optimistic it will be ever released.

jerrygene, raimiz1991inc and varitone like this.
  13. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

I would have bought this if it had the Steven Wilson stereo remix and a flat transfer of the original mix. On the other hand, I can sympathise with an artistic decision not to release any alternative stereo remix.

14. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

The £170 price tag on amazon uk simply can’t be right surely?
    Three cds and a dvd plus a book for £170???
    King Crimson have managed multiple box sets with 25 plus cds and dvd / Blu-rays for only around £120.
    This Roxy Set should surely be no more than £50 maximum?

Plan9 and johnnybrum like this.
  15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Can anyone sort out how many different masters of the Roxy Music debut we have on cd now. I have an old EG cd, the HDCD in the card sleeve, the version in the box set of all the albums, a platinum Japan only mini sleeve cd, an sacd mini sleeve cd from Japan and an HR mini sleeve from Japan (the last 3 I believe all use the same mastering/masters. I also have a different early Japan only mini sleeve but goodness knows what master that is - probably the same as the standard jewel case cd that followed the European card sleeve HDCD versions. Ridiculous how many times Roxy have been to the well (I also have a high resolution download).
    I shall buy the new deluxe for the extra material and because it is a great album.

giantleech likes this.
  16. BlueSpeedway

Even the old EG CDs sound different. I had or have a UK or France PDO pressed EG which is brighter than a slightly later Made in Holland EG. And the earlier Polydor German again has a different sound, dark and not very clear. Similar variations with other Roxy albums on EG CD and Brian Eno ones too.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  17. BlueSpeedway

You can try it on CD for yourself for less than the price of a loaf of bread :)

18. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

19. BlueSpeedway

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  20. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I would pay 20-25 bucks for this to get 5.1

21. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Agreed. Wait until they remainder them. We sad souls are the most likely target market and this is way too much compared to other similar products especially given how many times these albums have been reissued and good copies of the UK original pressings still don't cost a fortune.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

One of my favourite albums and album covers.

£150 - £171? I don't think so!

I'll go for the 2CD with BBC Sessions though. I wish it was a different mastering to the CD I already have.

jay.dee likes this.
  23. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Oh the price........!

24. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Ordered the edition with the signed print. Yes, it’s too expensive for what it is. Don’t really need another Ferry autograph, either, although I’m sure this one will be very nice. That said, this is one of my favourite albums of all time, I’m a Roxy completist, and I can afford it, so why not?

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have a beauty of an original UK first pressing. It sounds like crap!

sound chaser likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.