Roxy Music debut album, Deluxe/Super Deluxe Edition (March 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rne, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Fair enough. I'm sure you work for it and as you say, why not? If you can't spend money on what you like then what's the point?

I can afford it too but had a long period of unemployment a few years back. Experiencing being poor like that totally puts me off buying things like this and the recent Queen - News of the World deluxe. This Roxy one looks far more interesting than that though.

sharedon, Neonbeam and BlueSpeedway like this.
  2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Anything over £100 and I'm out.

I always think of all the other music I could buy with that money.....if it is £130 as SDE suggest then that is 12- 13 other albums I could buy of different music.

Maurice and Man at C&A like this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think like that too. I'd probably stop at around £70. I've never bought a super deluxe edition. They just appear too bloated for me. I love this album and I'll always love it just the same whether I have the deluxe edition or not.

4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Your first paragraph sums up my philosophy on this stuff. Yes, I work hard. One day’s overtime will easily pay for this. I want it, so why not? My fiancée is very understanding of my collecting passions, which helps.

Less than ten years ago, I was left homeless, with very little money, and little in the way of a support network to help me out. I certainly understand your point in your second paragraph, but my take on it is slightly different. I figure times are good right now, so I might as well enjoy the little luxuries in life. My fiancée’s passion is travel, and we’ve indulged that this year, too.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Well done on pulling yourself out of that situation. I've never been homeless but I've been very close a couple of times. I don't know how I got through that era looking back, but music was a big part of coping with it. My job now isn't well paid but I enjoy it and it's dug me out of a hole and a rut, but I still need to sort other things out. I've never got over that era mentally. It shattered my confidence, which was always fragile! I still sometimes feel only very slightly guilty about the amount of music I buy!

It's not so much not being able to afford this that's stopping me, it's more that there's a lot of other records I'd like, new and second hand, that I'd rather buy instead. I've also never left the bargain hunting mentality behind!

Flaming Torch and stepeanut like this.
  6. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Sometimes but not often in my experience, the bloat is justified, eg for me, musically the third self-titled Velvet Underground album, 5 good CDs, all newly well-mastered. In paper and card terms the McCartney Ram bloat was justified - it had loads of historical handwritten notebook and photobook etc reproductions from his farmhouse, as opposed to some essay, plus 4 or 5 CDs and a DVD. Those were easily available for £45 (VU) and £70 (Macca) on release date.

Flaming Torch and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I regret not buying that VU set. It's my fave VU album. The McCartney one sounds great too. I'm all for excessive packaging etc as long as it's not used as an excuse to inflate the price massively.

For £110 the Queen News of the World deluxe set only had around 40 minutes of previously unreleased music. I think that's disgraceful.

formu_la, shaboo and BlueSpeedway like this.
  8. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

That pricing is ridiculous. It'd have to be under £100 before I'd consider it and even then it sticks in the throat a bit....especially after such a ridiculous wait.
    By the way, I think we can expect major disappointment on the BBC In Concert tracks too. There are two versions of these, one a Mono mix for UK radio including Bob (Medley) which sounds weedy and thin, and the truly spectacular Transcription Services stereo mix with Eno all over it at ear splitting volume (but minus The Bob) as heard on the Bootlegs which have done the rounds. I think we're getting the Mono version. It's like the Floyd box all over again in that respect.

9. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Yeah, I'm also disappointed. After patiently waiting all this time, hoping for this set to come out and when it does, content-wise it's exactly what I'd hoped for but at a completely-unjustifiable-to-myself-and-my-wallet price. Even half of the current price is still a bit too much, IMHO. I think I'll pass for now and hope that at some point in the future, the four-disc set gets reissued in a reformatted and downsized set, like the recent Sex Pistols and Primal Scream super-deluxe sets eventually were.

10. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

Virginia Plain from the John Peel session is on Spotify

11. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I just wonder what the RRP for the set is. If it’s £150, including exclusive autographed print from their own website, then I would expect it to be less elsewhere. I don’t know where Amazon has got that price from, but pre release, they tend to pluck out a random price from thin air. I also think the inclusion of a disc, which you can pick up for a fiver separately, makes this set ridiculously overpriced, considering you are going to be able to pick up the 2CD version for around £20. Surely the book, which sounds like a genuine exclusive edition, isn’t the sole cause for the high price?

12. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I tried but I could not find a way..
    to buy this box with no regrets

no looking back, I won't throw my cash away...
    won't buy this box and no regrets

This time is the best time to fleece the flock
    and the price - it's major debts

The Brian's, Phil and Andy surely rock
    already have - play it - let's...

show me....

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The RRP is what Universal are charging on the uDiscover store - £129.99

CraigVC and johnnyyen like this.
  14. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

OK. Thanks.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The preorder for Roxy Music Deluxe/Superdeluxe Edition on Amazon.co.uk is £171.99. That's almost $230 which is absolutely insane! I'm a big fan of Steven Wilson's 5.1 mixes but I wouldn't even consider paying over $50 for this set. If Jethro Tull, Yes, King Crimson and many others can put out deluxe sets for well under $50 why can't Roxy Music? What a joke :rolleyes:!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roxy-Music-Super-Deluxe/dp/B077Y965S9/?tag=sdepcw-21

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  16. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

So that’s a cd we all have, plus two new discs and a dvd. Plus a book. That’s a bloody expensive book!!!

johnnyyen and Bill Mac like this.
  17. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

Ha ha, me too ! The cover is immaculate and beautifully laminated....however, when I played it, it was dull and woolly sounding. I had grown up with a Polydor reissue purchased in 1981 and it sounded great !!!

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm still confused as to why 'Virginia Plain' is included on the 1999 Ludwig master. It's not on the UK HDCD edition I bought back in '99.

sound chaser likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I had an original CD which I stupidly didn't keep. It sounded wonderful. I got the original LP, fully laminated sleeve, pink Island label, EMI first pressing, pristine condition - possibly unplayed. I was excited by it and thought it would sound superb. Then I played it. I couldn't believe it got released like that! Very dull and muffled sounding. I still appreciate having it and have played it throughout recently. The sleeve is worth it alone anyway. Sublime.

I'm thinking of getting the later Polydor UK pressing when I see a nice one.

20. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I like this album but not so much that I want every squawk. I'd be more interested in a super deluxe For Your Pleasure or Stranded. Or better still an Early Years box, the first three albums being by far my favourites from the band.

Tim

correctodad and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Awesome

Awesome Forum Resident

Local record shop will sell them to me for Eur 99 ! I will gladly order for anyone. Please understand (worldwide) shipping will be Eur 29,- (incl. tracking). Please send PM. You can verify trustworthyness on Discogs https://www.discogs.com/sell/seller_feedback/KeesN

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    villiers terrace likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good man.

23. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I'm certainly interested in the BBC sessions and would love that nice glossy book, but the rest is pointless, and for that price they can take a running jump! It's not a product that's worth more than £50.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It looks like this set misses the 'Virginia Plain' b-side 'The Numberer', which is just a bizarre decision, as the sessions aren't exactly overflowing with outtakes, and it exists in two very different original single mixes AND an already released Steven Wilson remix.

25. art

art Senior Member

no kidding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.