Roxy Music SHM-SACD catalog releases announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I am in good company. ;)

2. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Haven't researched *why* shm-sacd's aren't dual layer. For all the praise shm-sacds get, its a major drawback that they can't have 5.1 layers as well as stereo.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Almost always, the stereo and multichannel DSD sections are on the same layer. Typically, when people refer to dual layer SACDs they mean a hybrid disc - CD on the back layer (closest to the label) and DSD on the semi-transmissive layer. There were but a couple of non-hybrid SACDs that were dual layer - but very rare.

4. moops

moops Senior Member

Jeez, I don't know ........ I don't have SACD playback, so I really can't see that I need these again. I was playing the Complete Studio Recordings box set the other day and it really sounds wonderful to me. I would be ordering the standard redbook SHM-CDs anyway, DSD transfers are no guarantee of improvement are they ?

5. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Hi.

Let me be very directly:
    DSD transfers make sense if you buy the SACD, because then you will hear true DSD sound.
    If you are planning buying SHM-CDs, then you at the end will have PCM sound, so maybe you are just as lucky with your Complete Studio Recordings?

marcfeld69, moops and Plan9 like this.
  6. Alexandre

Alexandre Senior Member

Posted on Universal Music Japan website

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PBo, stevepafford, Galeans and 5 others like this.
  7. moops

moops Senior Member

Thanks ...... That's what I have decided to do anyway.

8. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Well I bit the bullet and ordered all if these, even though I have Avalon and the (poor audio quality) Best Of SACD. Having bought them all several times over the years I hope there's a decent improvement over the recent box set. I wonder if the Ferry solo catalogue will follow.

Also taking a chance on one of the Stevie Wonder SACDs.

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Which Steve Wonder, are there new ones or are you speaking of the ones from a couple years back?
    The Roxy's are shipping a day ahead by the looks of things and I don't understand what is wrong with that recent box set. The set is fantastic IMO.

10. davidc2k3

davidc2k3 Forum Resident

I have Avalon SACD 5.1, hoping for surround mix for all their SACD, but it seems publisher stop producing multichannel SACDs nowaday.

11. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Its the Stevie ones from a few years ago, but I only had the one of those.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the box set, but as I am buying them yet again I do expect them so sound better for the extra money.

eelkiller and tiso like this.
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The first two Roxy albums are hopefully coming in 5.1 and remixed stereo this year.

13. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

Yes of course, sorry, typo. You can see exactly why he said that about Stranded, though, it is exactly in the same experimental Enoesque style as the first two.

14. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I have pristine Japanese Roxy pressings from around 1982, these sound great
    Much better than US originals

I sought out original UK - incredible, dynamic

Well worth it if you are in to vinyl

I have the box and really enjoy it

May try out an SACD but the "ultamate boxes" could be interesting

15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I know they're only officially released today, but has anyone received their copies of these yet? I'm primarily interested in Avalon and Flesh & Blood.

stevepafford likes this.
  16. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Mine have been despatched but not arrived yet. I didn't get Avalon in the end though as I already have the original SACD and want to check out the other titles first before spending another £20 odd quid on a title I've already got 4 times!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Great news on this

The CD re masters sounded very good they sounded like raw analog transfers and were very warm and detailed with ZERO clipping. Hope these SACD's keep the same qualities of those.

I did feel it was a missed opportunity to not have High Res versions ready when the Box set came out. Glad we are finally seeing some come out.

BIG ED and andy75 like this.
  18. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Exciting to me as this is the first time they will appear in High Res and are taken from the masters.

19. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Great. I better order my two favourite Roxy Music albums then. "Flesh + Blood" & "Avalon".

20. Bobby Morrow

Those were the two I was interested in. I know some US customers who preorder from CD Japan receive their goods around (sometimes before) the release date, so hopefully reviews should start filtering through soon.

21. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

This thread just popped that great bass line opening for amazona into my head. Probably will stick in there for a while

Solace likes this.
  22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Only people in Japan would have a chance as the discs only shipped yesterday. No postage method is that fast.

23. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Maybe drone delivery... that's a thing now right?

24. Bobby Morrow

I'm sure I've read of US customers receiving their goods before/around the release date on here... Obviously not in this case, though.

25. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I expect mine will arrive by Saturday (but I will be in London) so won't play them until Sunday. I'll be listening first to Flesh + Blood and For Your Pleasure so will report back on them. I just hope they improve on the SACD of The Very Best Of, which was a really poor audio quality SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.