Roxy Music - Stranded appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chronic kebab, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident Thread Starter

I feel this album gets a bit overlooked sandwiched between For Your Pleasure and Country Life. Better than the latter in my opinion and almost but not quite as good as For Your Pleasure. In case any of you have never heard it I present to you Mother Of Pearl, a near perfect song in my view:

2. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

In my opinion, Stranded is just as good as For your Pleasure.. I don't really like Country Life at all.. Honestly, I only really enjoy their first 3 albums but what awesome LPs!

3. chronic kebab

I like every single song on the 1st three whereas country life has 1 or 2 weak songs

3rd Uncle Bob and Sternodox like this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Jeez...I love them all up through and including Siren. What an great run.
    But yeah, Mother of Pearl is a definite highlight from Stranded. Great song.

5. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

My favorite Roxy Music album.
    Highlights include Amazona, Psalm, Street Life, Mother of Pearl, Sunset...aw heck, all of them.

6. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Brian Eno was asked in the mid seventies what his favorite Roxy album was...

Stranded

Gorgeous fully fleshed out songs

3rd Uncle Bob, jmczaja and Steve B like this.
  7. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Amazona has to be their most underrated song, I don't think its ever been included on a compilation.

8. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I hear this a lot, and I'm sure he did say it, but what is he going to say? If he picks one of the first two albums, then he looks arrogant, or worse.

Moshe, rtalwani and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I think people read too much into that comment. It seems to me that he was just being modest. Stranded is still a great album, of course, but a notch below the more ambitious For Your Pleasure for my money. They really had a killer run there before they went on hiatus.

Moshe, AZRunner and Steve B like this.
  10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Eno was right.

It's always been my favourite Roxy album, also. I wouldn't change it for the whole world.

Max Florian, lwh1, audiotom and 3 others like this.
  11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Its a great album, as good as the first two in a different way.

Max Florian likes this.
  12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

IMO as underrated as COUNTRY LIFE is overrated. Take that anyway you'd like :wave:

13. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

Have you a future?
    No
    No
    No
    No
    (yes)

Punk in a nutshell, and one of the most exciting 30 seconds in all pop...

Max Florian and Michael D like this.
  14. I hate to be a dissenting voice here, but Stranded is a big drop off in quality of Songwriting compared to the first two and Jobson is no Eno.

15. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

From one Corkonian to another. My favourite Roxy album.

3rd Uncle Bob and chronic kebab like this.
  16. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

There is only one Brian Eno. He is an original both aesthetically and musically. We will never see another great character like him but Jobson was certainly a very qualified replacement. Who knows ? Maybe it was a good thing he left. I love the first four solo Eno albums. As an aside, I heard he left over Ferry feeling threatened that Eno was turning into the focal point of the band.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    quakerparrot67 and audiotom like this.
  17. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

The first Roxy album I owned as a child was the original single vinyl Greatest Hits and loved how Mother Of Pearl was followed directly by Song For Europe. So I was surprised that on Stranded the order was reversed to less effect.
    Difficult to believe now that the seemingly meticulous Roxy Music released five marvelous albums in just three years.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  18. chronic kebab

I've often heard that but I read an interview with Andy Mackay years ago where he claimed Eno got more women than Ferry did and he felt more overshadowed in that regard rather than onstage! the 20s is such a narcissistic time in all of our lives...

Max Florian and quakerparrot67 like this.
  19. chronic kebab

Enos wizardry is of course absent but I wouldn't say the songwriting dropped at all here! Ferry is still in his prime to my ears.

Merrick, 3rd Uncle Bob, Moshe and 2 others like this.
  20. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification. As much as I love Roxy, I'm glad he chose to leave.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  21. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

not what you mean, i realise, but it opens the Phil Manzanera retrospective set.

one of their very best albums for me. i first heard A Song For Europe and Mother Of Pearl via radio broadcast of a 1979 concert. i'd just got into the band courtesy of Manifesto (i was 14) and i knew then these were special songs.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  22. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

While this is true, Stranded is the first Roxy Music record that Ferry began sharing songwriting duties. On the first two records, Ferry wrote everything. The band grew tired of Ferry's dominance, so he had to give something up or everyone might leave.

Eno was an influence and I love him, but Jobson added more musicality. I'm glad Eno left :eek:. If he didn't, we wouldn't have his 4 art-pop 1970's solo records or Stranded just as it is, which is perfect!

23. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

classy rock n roll

quakerparrot67 and Moshe like this.
  24. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Stranded is Roxy Music at their best. Mother of Pearl and Song for Europe are stand outs for me but this album is solid all the way through. I bought this album while stationed in Germany on German Polydor vinyl.

Scott

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love Just Like You. What a song!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.