Roxy Music UK vintage CDs & vinyl - which ones & where in London

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tvstrategies, Mar 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down. Thread Starter

A three part question:

1) I have lots of Brian Eno and a couple of ‘80s Bryan Ferry albums but no Roxy Music. If I had to limit myself, which 2-3 should I buy? I somehow missed them in the ‘70s

2) Which vintage vinyl pressings / CD masterings?

3) Where can I buy used UK pressings in London on a weekday next week at reasonable prices without resorting to dicey sellers in Brick Lane basements.?

Not super enamored with Berwick St shops. Staying in Brixton. Will traverse Zone 1-2 within reason, esp if there’s good real ale or a microbrewery nearby.

Thanks!

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Possibly Flashback records in Islington? Nearest underground stop is Angel. I always find this shop worth a visit. Fair prices and always has good stock in. I tend to find Roxy Music albums are rarely expensive anywhere, even as original pressings.

JumpinJimF, zphage and Telegramsam like this.
  3. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

1) At least the first five and Avalon.

2) You should be able to find first pressings in good condition for less than 15 Pounds.

3) Buying used records in London is kind of a waste. I don't envy you. Everything is very expensive, sometimes comically so, especially for a German buyer. Maybe head by train to St. Albans. They have a nice small record store, and if you do not find anything there, visit one of the many historical pubs in the town:
    OUR STORE | Empire Records St Albans Hertfordshire

OptimisticGoat and mr.datsun like this.
  4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Not easy to find the first RM albums in good condition. I agree that out of town might be better but trying to find those specific records will be pot-luck. Phoning a record shop in advance might help.

You could try record and tape exchange in Notting Hill but no idea what they are like any more.

Agree about Flashback and they have much of their stock in discogs. Also Haggle is on the same street. Flashback also have a shop in Crouch End.

Micro brewery outlets are everywhere now. Practically one in every high street.

5. tvstrategies

How’s the Flashbank at the north end of Brick Lane near Brewdog’s?

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

1) First two albums (self-titled + For Your Pleasure) + Avalon

2) CD-wise as long as you avoid the 1999 remasters you're good. So either the original E'G CDs or the 2012 boxset with all studio albums sound good. Also the 2015 Japanese SHM-SACD/CDs are the best but you're unlikely to stumble upon them.

3) No idea so I'll leave that to others.

tvstrategies likes this.
  7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Didn't know there was one !

8. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

If it´s in your timeline go to the Spitalfields Record Fair, every 1st and 3rd friday of the month.

9. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

If you're in Brixton then Rat Records in Camberwell is the place to go. It is very reasonably priced, well organised. but is a cash only business. You can find it if you get any bus to Camberwell Green - there will be a direct one from Brixton that should only take 15 minutes or so.

Another option is Wanted Records in Beckenham, just off the high street near the war memorial and Odeon cinema. That one is a pretty large shop, less organised but there are plenty of bargains to be found. They definitely have a Roxy section. Wanted Music accepts credit and debit cards or cash.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There are a lot of dodgy pressings of the debut album too. Mine looks pristine, barely played. It's a first pressing but there's quite a lot of clicks on it. I've read that others are the same and the clicks occur in the same places. The beginning of Ladytron is noticeable.

erowid and Neonbeam like this.
  11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It took me a few attempts to get a decent first pressing. (My brother still has his copy from when it first came out.)

I suspect that the recent repress is the easiest way to by s/t.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Notting Hill Music Exchange (Notting Hill tube) can still throw up a few bargains, especially in the bargain basement downstairs.

tvstrategies likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The laminated gatefold on the original is a real beauty. I settled for that and an old EG label CD which I like the sound of more than the vinyl. All the other Roxy original UK vinyl is excellent.

14. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

You would be better off on eBay. I did a tour of London record shops and markets last month and picked up one or two gems, but 10 years ago I would have had a bagful of goodies doing the same route. Its increasingly difficult to get the good stuff in London these days.

Fishoutofwater and LivingForever like this.
  15. tvstrategies

I’m leaving too early. Darn!! Will have to remember that one for next time

16. tvstrategies

Flashback, I meant!

mr.datsun likes this.
  17. What is wrong with the Ludwig 1999 remasters? I have a couple of them and have nothing to compare them with. I would appreciate your thoughts

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's been a long time since I heard one so I can't be very specific... but in my recollection, they just sound artificial, not pleasant like there is too much processing, maybe also too much compression and some Noise Reduction. They are not awful but they are the least good sounding option compared with every other pressing.
    The best are the SHM-SACDs/CDs, the 2012 boxset is close, then the original CDs, and the 1999 remasters a distant fourth.

19. My understanding is the 2012 box set uses the same mastering by Ludwig as the 1999 issues. Am i wrong? Discogs states the 2012 set was mastered by Ludwig.

20. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

You will find what you need probably in South London by visiting:

Wanted Records (Beckenham) as mentioned above
    Rolling Records 6 Station Rd, West Wickham BR4 0PR - great quality records and a lot of stock (opens Thurs - Sat only)
    West Norwood Book & Record Bar 20 Norwood High St, West Norwood, London SE27 9NR

They are all relatively close to each other as the crow flies.

tvstrategies and LivingForever like this.
  21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

As far as I was aware the 2012 was all new and vast improvement over the 1999 - the newer one being more akin to the highly sought-after old Toshiba Black Triangle. However, I think it was the new deluxe set used the older 1999 remaster.

The entry on loudness wars seems to back that up view, with the 2012 being far more dynamic than the squashed 1999. Whether or not Ludwig did both.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Plan9 likes this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That is indeed totally wrong.

However the '99 Ludwig remaster was reused for the original album boxset last year, to everyone's surprise (and discontent).

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  23. Ok i think i get it. Strange that Ludwig mastered the 1999 and 2012 Box set. I would have thought they would sound the same? It is available on Discogs staarting at 88euroes which seems a fair price. Shall i or shant i? :confused:

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

To be clear, Ludwig did NOT master the 2012 CD boxset. His credit must have been incorrectly kept.
    The boxset sounds excellent for the majority of albums, however the first album and Avalon (and also a couple of other tracks IIRC) sound even better on SHM-SACD/CD in my opinion, but these are pricy. It's up to you... They all have a good resale value.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Fishoutofwater and mr.datsun like this.
  25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It was cheaper when first issued. You might be able to track down the original CDs for less.

Fishoutofwater and Plan9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.