RSD 2014: What did you pay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

What's the meaning you're thinking of?

Tjazz likes this.
  2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I'm thinking RSD is about getting people into shops, business looks like they are looking to screw us again.
    Wonder when they [the industry] will be bitchin' about pirates and dropping sales? How tough it will be for them, only one exotic holiday this year dear!!!!!

rediffusion likes this.
  3. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I spent RSD looking at antiques in a town south of here, it's finally spring-like weather, so took the family for a road trip. Ended up finding some great occasional chairs for $50 each and my daughter found some little trinkets.

Best RSD ever!

joelee likes this.
  4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I noted one post here citing $35 for Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine. Was that the typical price on RSD? I'm just trying to gauge the mark-ups on eBay. The cheapest copy on ebay.com at present is $52.

5. KeithH

I don't think RSD means what you think it means.

;)

6. yeah the line was outta hand
    was there to get regular stuff
    so I just returned at 6pm, no line

7. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Their regular stuff is way more interesting than anything RSD has to offer. :)

8. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Just wait a few weeks. They made 5500 copies. It's not that rare. Once the hype goes away, the price will drop.

Tjazz likes this.
  9. Two items I'm interested and would like to know what the in store prices were before I start chasing around.

Dave and Phil Alvin- Songs from Common Ground
    Songs Ohia-7" box set

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Anyone know how much Ghostbusters was going for?

11. I think at around $23 for the pressing cover stock and details , Rhino prices for LPs are pretty spot on

12. Me too but for less than $50

image.jpg

13. KeithH

Thanks. I had heard that 5500 copies were pressed. Since my post this morning, I also read that some folks paid around $27 for Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine. Given all of this, I am not going to rush into buying a copy on eBay.

One of the employees at the shop I went to yesterday said that some RSD titles are reissued in June each year, so there is also the possibility that Weird Scenes will be reissued then (unnumbered copies and probably on black vinyl).

14. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

$23-25. (Nice looking package) :winkgrin:

nibor likes this.
  15. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

A small shop owner mentioned to me that he had to pay $125 for the swag. So maybe some of the shops charge extra to cover these type of expenses. Some shops also hire more help to deal with the masses of crowds. My assumption is that there is about a 25% markup. (or discount to list, that the dealers pay) Larger discounts for bigger orders.

16. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I think it is funny how this event has made people interested in the Ghostbusters song by Ray Parker Jr, again. haha.

17. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Are these official RSD releases in New Zealand?
    https://www.realgroovy.co.nz/Product/5745905/La-De-Da's
    https://www.realgroovy.co.nz/Product/5745906/The-Scavengers
    The copy I am thinking of buying for £24.49 doesn't seem so outrageous after all.None of the stores in the US selling RSD records on their site seem to have it.
    Price it on ebay.That isn't much for a new (double LP?) limited edition of a high demand and highly collectible band like Green Day.

18. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

That could be true. It happened with the Incubus records last time.

19. Stuevts

Stuevts Not drinking the kool-aid

$24.99 Hendrix At Monterey, $9.99 Fleetwood Mac Dragonfly - Mad Platter Riverside, Ca
    $38.00 The Doors - Groovers Riverside, Ca

20. Many, but not all, Rhino LPs do come out as non numbered non colored regular editions not long afterwards.

21. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I can't believe that the movie is close to 30 years old. :eek:

22. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Grateful Dead $41.50
    The Pogues with Joe Strummer $30.50.
    Ray LaMontagne Supernova 45. $10.99

23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have always loved and will always love Ghostbusters! :)

24. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I'm gathering that the markups on plenty of these items is more than 20% in some cases. I've been scanning this thread and my prices are significantly lower than some other people paid.

Here's my list:

Cake Box Set $139.99
    Jerry Garcia $22.99
    Sam Cooke $17.99
    VU Loaded $19.99
    Randy Newman $24.99
    Everly Bros. Roots $24.99
    Everly Bros. Songs Our Daddy Taught Us $16.99
    Zombies $16.99 each
    Idle Race $19.99
    Yardbirds $19.99
    Muppet Movie $15.99
    Ramones EP $14.99
    Zappa 45 $7.99
    Wanda Jackson 45 $6.99

I'm really shocked to see some stores are charging $40 for a $25 item. That's way more than 20%. I understand the need to make a profit, but really?? If the RSD pledge says you can charge up to 20% more, fine. Don't make it a 60% markup.

I feel my store is fair. I talked to the owner today and he thought it was ridiculous what things were going for on ebay. He takes a look just to get a laugh. There is still plenty in his shop today that can be had at a reasonable cost. I went back today to pick up some stuff for a friend who got shut out and I found the VU, Randy Newman, Zappa, Idle Race and Everlys Roots all at the same price as yesterday. He had plenty of copies of most stuff left.

He also said that the first 20 or so people in line (I was first) he was really glad to see and knows they aren't ebay flippers. They are regular customers who really want the stuff. I think he was happy about seeing people that come in every week or two to support the shop. I only bought two non-RSD items yesterday (the Sundazed Nilsson reissues) but I'll be back. I left after 20 mins and didn't hang out, but the owner knows I'll be back in a few weeks to shop the store. The guys at Euclid New Orleans are really cool and I give them lots of praise for having a good RSD and being very fair to their customers.

NapalmBrain and Gordon Johnson like this.
  25. goldenbreast

goldenbreast Forum Resident

That's my plan. I've seen it available online for £29 odd but am prepared to wait for the standard black vinyl edition which will most likely be cheaper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.