RSD 2014: What did you pay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Wow. That Cake box set was $249 CAN at my local (but online) store. Too rich for me to justify. I would've been all over it for $139 US. Regardless, they only had 2 sets and both sold quickly.

2. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I went to my local shop on Sunday afternoon and spent $40 on the new St. Vincent album (CD), and a Rough Trade copy of The Smith's Meat is Murder. Got 10% off since it was their RSD weekend sale. I left quite pleased.

3. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

If the exchange rate doesn't justify it.. Contact Cake through their facebook page. I don't know what they'll do but they seemed very curious when somebody mentioned they paid $240 US.. They wanted the name and address of the shop.

4. henryjg

henryjg Forum Resident

Here's what I paid at the Amoeba in the Haight-Ashbury:

Haim - Forever 12" $8.98
    Henry Mancini - Pink Panther S/T $24.98
    Garbage 10" $11.98
    Ramones 10" $13.98
    Tears for Fears 10" $11.98

I couldn't find the Neko Case 7" and really wanted it, so I paid $20 on eBay.

There were also people scooping up copies of VU-Loaded that were on display, so I paid $16.98 only to get home and realize it was the regular Rhino LP and not the RSD version. Oh well.... live and learn.

5. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

6. happydeathman

happydeathman Forum Resident

7. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Forum Resident

B-Side Records, Ashtabula
    Johnny Cash - $28
    Otis Redding - $26

Record Den, Cleveland
    Sun Record Company - $14
    Sam Cooke - $20
    Cage the Elephant - $8

Record Archive, Rochester
    Meade Lux Lewis - $16
    Albert Ammons - $16
    Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - $10
    Ronnie Spector - $10
    Kings of Leon - $6
    Sonics/Mudhoney - $8

The Bop Shop, Rochester
    The Allman Brothers - $35
    Credence - $20
    Jimi Hendrix (Monterey) - $25

Anyone see a price for The JB's, "Food For Thought"?

8. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

9. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Judging from the titles mentioned here and the amounts spent I can really see that RSD does a lot to promote new music to potential new customers. I am sure that in the long term the industry will be saved by this event.
    Next idea: an event that caters to stamp collectors. I am sure there is a lot of overlap.

10. DumbMagician

DumbMagician Forum Resident

I paid AUD38!

11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Uh,well all I bought was some used stuff about $5 each and Weird Science:laugh: inside a Gold Mine from The Doors!:cool: haven`t looked at the price yet.I was just glad I found one!I left so much stuff it`s ridiculous.

12. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

The exchange only brings it up to $155 or so. However, I don't know what extra shipping charges there may have been to get it to them. I also like dealing with them and would prefer not to cause them any grief.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

13. djej

djej Forum Resident

One of my local shops had the JB's for $29.98. I think it was on Bull Moose for $31.97 or $34.97... something like that.

14. jimcdenco

jimcdenco Forum Resident

Devo-Butch Devo & The Sundance Gig Picture Disc $31.99
    Tears For Fears 10" $12.99
    R.E.M Unplugged $89.99
    Zang Tuum Tumb Box Set The Re-Organization of Pop $79.99

No Cake to be found :shake:

15. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

All I was really interested in was the Rush/Love - 7 and 7 is split single. It was $6.99.

Rupe33 likes this.
  16. Anyone able to tell me what the Songs Ohia 7" box set was going for instore.

17. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Yeah.. on the Cake RSD post.. I've been talking about it.. Cake set a price at $125 US. They want people to report when it was more than $129. I can't rat my store out for $10 over Cake's set price.. my store is good to me. If your people are good.. then leave it alone..

ShawnX likes this.
  18. Scottisrecordshop

Scottisrecordshop New Member

RSD pledge states stores can not charge more than 20% over stated list price, DMB was a $79.99 list, this is way above the 20% allowed by RSD , if this is true you should send RSD an email asking them to check on this price practice

19. Scottisrecordshop

lots of people enjoy the line, they meet people make friends, talk about music, why make fun of people enjoying RSD and supporting their local store

20. Scottisrecordshop

Well said, there are lots of other expenses, do we evaluate all business and their mark ups the same way

21. Blank Slate

Thank you for the info. I haven't been able to find one except on Ebay. Last night I found a "buy it now" for $36 maybe I should have jumped on it.

22. Blank Slate

Thank you for the information.

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There's plenty of violation of the RSD rules going around and I have never heard of any repercussion ever being handed down.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  24. Banjohandtowel

Banjohandtowel New Member

I only wanted Mark Mulcahy's LP "Fathering" but House of Records weren't able to get a copy. I found it listed on eBay starting bid .99 and won it for $1.25 this morning! Super happy about! On actual RSD I went to a shop that doesn't order RSD releases and but brought in a dozen unpillaged $1 bins and found 9 awesome LPs, including REM's Murmur and Reckoning, Steely Dan's Royal Scam and Aja, The Squeeze's Babylon and On, and some other killer stuff. Total spent on RSD including my eBay victory:$14.25 (that includes S/H for the Mark Mulcahy disc)

Does anyone know how much that Ghostbuster's 10" was and how many were pressed? I'm just curious. People on eBay are asking a lot for them.

25. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Wouldn't participate. I LOVE record retail....but, every SINGLE year I've called for RSD, it's been the same story--they didn't order any of whatever I wanted, which ends up being some .01% of RSD releases not being into shoegazing alt rock....so, here's the deal--you don't carry anything but hipster releases? You will get nothing but hipster business. Which means you won't grow. Ever. This has been the issue with TINY mom&pop stores since I was in record retail some 25 years ago...you had the John Cusack lampooned reality of the hipster indie places...contrasted to the "let me look it up in the computer for you" robot ordering/hirings/staffing big boxes...what this world needs is an ACTUAL record retailer back that knows there's value in both those attitudes towards stocking...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.