RSD 2015 sound reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Bernhardt, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last year we had a thread going that people stated what they liked or disliked about their RSD purchases. It was rather helpful and there isn't one for this year. So what are your thoughts.

inperson and candyflip69 like this.
  2. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

I would like to know also. :)

3. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

Any reviews/thoughts regarding the sound quality of the Jethro Tull "Live at Carnegie Hall" release ?

aoxomoxoa, john lennonist and hi_watt like this.
  4. finsaah

finsaah Forum Resident

I'd love to know thoughts on the Tomorrow mono release

aoxomoxoa and BEAThoven like this.
  5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The Doors is spectacular, much better than how i remember the orginal sounding.
    Rainbows Folly is excellent although i never had an original.
    The Miles box is as great as Vol1 sounded, truely amazing sound given the age of the tapes.

The Stooges is amazing sounding like an audiophile recording LOL. Anyone who bought the Rhino CD knows that this makes BAD bootlegs sound like MFSL. It really doesn't get any worse than this album. But the Stooges are one of my favorite bands so i deal with it.
    Thats all i've gotten to right now.

Pats Radio, rxcory and TLMusic like this.
  6. Chris Bernhardt

That's why I didn't buy ,already having it on cd. But if you're a fan it's a hell of a performance.

goldwax likes this.
  7. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

8. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Sly & The Family Stone: Live At Fillmore East is a really good live recording and a great performance. Recommended!

rxcory, MikeT, Dhreview16 and 8 others like this.
  9. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

+1 for Sly, great sound quality.

MikeT and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  10. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

Strange Days sounds fantastic! The mono mix is a fun listen and will rival my AP45 copy every time I want to play that album.

Just played the mono cut of Otis Blue and I thought that sounded really good (cut from the mastering lab). I'm going to listen to Get a behind Me Satan next.

rxcory, Ash76, TLMusic and 2 others like this.
  11. golobali

golobali Forum Resident

Somebody knows if there will be a regular black vinyl edition? I don't want to spend a lot of money for the RSD version, because I'm not so much into live albums.

12. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

The Basement Tape

four stars.

Spikes and No Static like this.
  13. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I haven't heard of a standard vinyl release, only the 4 CD boxset that comes out in July.

14. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Only listened to my Replacements 10-inch 45 rpm EP so far.

I've never heard "Alex Chilton" sound better.

15. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Polaris - Music from the Adventures of Pete and Pete sounds incredible. Think it might actually be AAA, since the band something along those lines on their facebook.

HappyFunMiles likes this.
  16. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

The Doors Strange Days is excellent pressing and sound is better than my stereo CD.
    The Violent Femmes 10" is excellent pressing and the songs are good not great but I am thoroughly enjoying.
    The Bob Dylan basement tapes 130gram is superb pressing and the sound is good for what it is.
    Yet to listen to The Zombies R.I.P. and Willie Nelson Teatro.
    I bought the Paul McCartney but I think I will just sell it or return it if possible. I will keep it packaged up in the meantime.

17. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

My Rainbow Ffolly was skipping a bit on side 1, but haven't given a proper cleaning, so will try again. Splatter looks gorgeous and the sound was great.

oddsbodkins likes this.
  18. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

The Bee Gees Extended EP sounds great! Nice 12-inch versions. Well worth picking up if you like the Bee Gees.

Gardo and JeffMo like this.
  19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Agreed - Robert Plant's More Roar also sounds very nice.

johnny q and BeatleStair like this.
  20. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

My copy of Teatro is crap!!! The pops and ticks are beyond reasonable and the worst part is any high vocals of Willy on disc 1 are all distorted.
    Everything else I bought this RSD has been great. The item I spent the most on sucks the most. Totally unacceptable!!! :rant:
    I emailed light in the attic records and I am hoping for an exchange. I refuse to have my local record store eat the cost.
    Do I sound resonable?

21. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Thanks for starting this thread.

I listened to the Doors Strange Days which sounded good. To my ears I couldn't really pick out what was different in the mix and I will need to do a shoot out between this and the AP45 version.

Shogun Assassin OST sounds surprisingly great. That was an impulse buy, but it is pretty sweet. Very nice packaging.

Hold Steady - Kids in America sounds great but I wish they had splurged for the comic book lyrics that the originals had. That was something that was really cool that I miss.

White Stripes - GBMS sounds good but not amazing. It is nice to grab this to finish off the collection of studio albums.

Clonesteak likes this.
  22. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

The Bee Gees extended mixes 4 track disc sounds great. Glad i picked it up.

Gardo and JeffMo like this.
  23. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Anyone yet to listen to Charley Musselwhite "Stand Back!"?

I'm thinking of grabbing that if the SQ is good/great.

glea likes this.
  24. Tensilversaxes

Tensilversaxes Well-Known Member

Teatro - great sound. Incredible sonics. Drums are in the room. First disc is crackly on the intro to the
    first song.

ShawnX, 500Homeruns and Geee! like this.
  25. Chris Bernhardt

Finally started listening to the haul and started out with my 45's.

Adam Ant- Sounds somewhat muddy, but that might be the mix, not much of a soundscape . Not really worth the money. At $14 it was a little more expensive then most of the other 7".

The Rhino side by side Bowie/ Verlaine sounds nice, although sound wise the Verlaine sounds a little better. Musically it was fun to hear them one after the other. I like the Verlaine, but Bowie sure improved on it.

SteveCooks and Partyslammer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.