RSD 2017: Soul Slabs Vol 1. (Red Vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dadonred, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song Thread Starter

2,000 copies for this 2xLP set on RSD. "22 cuts from the Colemine 7-inch catalog covering a wide range of raw Funk, Soul, R&B, Afro, Latin, Breakbeats, and more."

Beautiful dead quiet vinyl for me, exciting collection, wonderful room sounds on the recordings.

The cover is a minor piece of art while the inside gatefold has several cool B&W photos. The cover itself has cardboard that is nearly as thick as an album.

I am working my way through the two LPs. I have much to learn about this label and its artists, myself. I was very happy to put hands on this collection on RSD. I'd listened to samples beforehand and it was top of my shortlist.

If you also added this to your collection, I'm interested in your thoughts/impressions/background on it.

Mine is # 001924.

VARIOUS ARTISTSColemine Singles: 20 / 45rpm CD

[​IMG]

action pact and JasonA like this.
  2. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

That sounds interesting. Looks really nicely executed, and it's great to wrap your head around a collection of as-of-yet undiscovered vintage stuff. An LP that I may check out myself...

dadonred likes this.
  3. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song Thread Starter

None of you have this?

4. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Glad you like it. The Cole bros are good dudes.

Was about to buy it but decided to wait until im at Plaid/Colemine in Cincinnati next month. I dont really care about the red vinyl and they already said a standard one wld be out soon.

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

This was my first Colemine purchase and there's some great stuff on there!

I would say that Colemine differs from Daptone in that they have less of an identifiable 'house sound.' If I'm not mistaken, Colemine doesn't have their own studio or production team, and most of the artists send in their masters from wherever they're based.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear some Colemine tracks performed by many of the same musicians who are associated with the Menahan Street Band and the other Daptone instrumental units.

dadonred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.