RSD 2018 pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident Thread Starter

Let's post comments regarding only the quality of the pressings of tomorrow's RSD vinyl releases in this thread. In just a few short hours our overseas friends will be making their purchases, and we will soon after. This is always helpful for those of who are are considering making potential big purchases on albums which may or may not sound incredible or lousy....

izgoblin and jslcaballo like this.
  2. Jerry James

I've just finished listening to the Thelonious Monk reissue "Monk" and the new Daughter album. Happy to say that both sound fantastic - quiet vinyl and flat & centered. Monk is nice and dynamic and no pressing issues - very enjoyable. The Daughter album sounds absolutely epic (probably due to production mainly), but the sound is just huge - it blew me away. Glassnote can be a gamble with their pressings, but this one is great. Up next: The Sundays and Grant Green, maybe some Bowie if I have time.

Fender Relic, Tlay and timnor like this.
  3. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Can anyone comment in the grateful dead and Allman Brothers boxes?

4. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Grateful Dead sounds very nice. I like the box that this came in with nice liner notes. I haven't had a chance to A/B compare it with my original pressing of Live/Dead though. Buy with confidence..all of these modern Dead releases are great to be honest.

5. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Anyone get to the Stones Satanic Majesties yet?

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I played side 1 last night. Sounded great. Although I have 2 black dots on the clear vinyl, they don’t affect your payback.

I must say, the pressings generally that I bought seem to be of a high quality. Although the piper mono has a slight warp that affects the first minute or so of playback so il heading to the store tomorrow to buy another..

Antx likes this.
  7. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Moving onto Bowie Live in London 78. Sounds great. Intimate and punchy sound. Vinyl of LP1 is flawless. Wish there was some more historical context and notes to go with this one though. Recorded by Tony Visconti, mix supervised by Bowie in 79. Wonder what the idea for this was when Stage came out around the same time, right?

8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

everything I've played so far has sounded great and I've lucked out with great pressing. uncle tupelo, neil young, Jason isbell, wipers, and elvis are all great.

Sean and Jerry James like this.
  9. Jerry James

I played the Sundays (well; tried to) last night. Upon opening - bare bones; very thin cover, mangled white paper inner. The LP was covered in microscopic golden flecks which I thought looked cool until I realized they weren't supposed to be there :rolleyes: . Then I saw the lately-ever-shrinking-in-size U in the circle in the deadwax. I cleaned it (twice!), but many of those specks remained. Despite United's best effort to ruin the album, the music and sonics sounded really, really good. I only got through a couple tracks before I took it off the table due to the cracks and pops. It now has a pound of wood glue sitting on it. Proceed with extreme caution if you're considering purchasing/opening this one...

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Do you think there will be another copy available for you to exchange?

Freebird likes this.
  11. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I’m not sure they will exchange it, I’ll just buy another - they had a tonne 3 hours in, so I’m confident I’ll be able to pick another up tomorrow...

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Good luck! Hope you find an extra copy.

pigman likes this.
  13. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I thought the exact same thing when I opened it. Not really much going on other than credits here, a missed opportunity I would say.

Of the ones I have...Eno/Shields, FSOL are good. Currently playing the Bowie WTTB now, but 2 tracks in and I like the sound, not checked the pressings of the other 2 discs yet. I like the sound of this better than the STAGE album so far

I've dipped into the David Sylvian and there are some horrible noises on track 1 and I turned it off before I got put into a bad mood. The noises sound like trears/rips in the groove for a second, one complete revolution around and its gone. Then a minute or so later another one etc. £36

Also my Zappa, while it plays, its warped like a step. No edge warps, but it has a sudden lift and drop ripple all the way through side A - at 45rpm my stylus' cantilever is getting a right royal ride out of it. Again, £36 notes

14. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

So far listened to :
    Bo Diddley - sounds good , punchy, I haven't listened to Bo in awhile. It's interesting how his stuff doesn't sound like most Chess of the time. Heavy, heavy echo on everything.
    Pink Floyd - Pipers. A friend was remarking it sounded a little flat to him , and at the beginning I felt the same thing.... but it quickly progresses to the quality level of the Floyd reissues. I liked it a lot
    BowieNow- liked it . You will have already decided what you think of the Bowie remasters.

15. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Yes that's non fill noises. There are some on my copy too on side 2 and 4. Not the worst i have heard but still noticeable on a couple of tracks. Still annoyed he changed the beautiful original artwork too. It's only shown in monochrome on the inner sleeves with the credits written over it.

Max Florian likes this.
  16. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I picked up the 2 MC5 7"s and they are both pressed and packaged really nicely. Sounds is a bit rough, but I think that's probably a reflection of the original mono recordings.

17. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Ah, I'd read about non-fill but had no idea what they sounded like. To be honest out of the hundreds of albums I have, its very very rare thing. It sounds like someone tearing up a newspaper!

Looks like its a bit of a botched release then judging by the comments over at Discogs, a shame as it sounds really nice otherwise. Oh, and £36
    David Sylvian - Dead Bees On A Cake

18. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Sorry you got a bad copy. Mine has no gold flecks thankfully. As you said the music and sonics are great. Whoever mastered it did a great job. My copy has the usual amount of tics/pops that most new pressings seem to have. Primarily in the intros and fade outs. I will give it a second cleaning and hit it again with the carbon fiber brush.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Defrance likes this.
  19. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I just got back from a local shop close to my house and managed to snag a copy of The Allman Brothers Atlanta Pop Festival. It's a four record set but it's not in a box but just a single wider sleeve, non gatefold. Not bad but nothing special. It is numbered on the rear of the sleeve, so that's nice. Right off the bat, the records are housed in those cheap non lined paper sleeves, so that's a strike already but a simple fix. Still though...... I have the first record out and I must say it sounds pretty good and there looks like no issues on the first record. Clean vinyl, flat etc. Just played through side one, no issues with defects or noise. Looks like it was pressed at MPO, which is etched in the deadwax. There is a nice booklet with some pictures and a write up I haven't looked at let. Hype sticker says mixed and mastered from original multi track tapes. I can get back later with more reviews or details, but right now I'm saying the sound is pretty good and the music is great of course. Packaging is ok but nothing mind blowing. This cost $73 dollars Canadian before tax, so less than $20 a record which isn't bad for up in Canada. I saw most single releases priced at $35 plus and up.

Tommyboy, Fractured and AlienRendel like this.
  20. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Got Numer 00260, i really enjoyed this one, better than the last year, is really a good improvement, still hiss but still great, glad got it

Christopher B, sassi and Old Rusty like this.
  21. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The Monterey Pop 2 LP set sounds great, nice packaging and colored vinyl too.

jamesmaya likes this.
  22. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

It seems that a film was planned but never released.

Stage was from April performances in the US, this is June/July and the performance is considerably better IMO.

Tim

David Bowie: Welcome to the Blackout | Tim Anderson's IT Writing

Markyp, Stone Turntable and joelee like this.
  23. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

thumbs up to Phish 'Billy Breathes' and The Dap Kings 'look closer' instrumentals.

24. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

My Floyd and Springsteen records are pretty much perfect, but the Led Zep 7" 45 is a little warped, possibly due to the black plastic adapter that's pressed into it and seems to be a bit of a tight fit... I might try to take it out and see if this single plays better without the adapter.

25. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Courtney Barnett - City Looks Pretty 12” single sounds great, quality pressing and a great song to boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.