RSD 2018 pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

I'm hearing a little bit of sibilance on my copy of LA Turnaround but that just be my system.

2. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Ah ok, I like to keep mine in the shrink...

3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Thank you for the heads up on the Sylvian , been looking around for a copy & debating on what to pay .............i may hold out for a regular pressing ;)

4. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

DURAN DURAN - thanksgiving live .... the ultimate latex and steel tour .... full show double lp pressed on gray marbled vinyl
    Spun the full set last night , Good flat pressing , sound quality is really good , guessing this was a live Radio Broadcast at some point ? Not the best Gig from Duran Duran performance wise , this era they had Hired a Drummer & bass player as Roger & john had left , but you get to hear some songs that would only be played on this tour & probably won't be ever again , this was my #1 item wanted & very happy with it ;)

[​IMG]

5. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

The Beau Brummels set is a thing of beauty.

6. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

My copy of Bowie Now sounds awesome.
    I have Low and Heroes on CD and vinyl, and these remastered tracks sound just as good or better.

joshm2286 and paddycook like this.
  7. paddycook

paddycook Senior Member

Second this. Mine sounds wonderful. Beautifully packaged too - a real quality product.

joelee, jkauff, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  8. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Plays nice and quiet, well mastered, no complaints.

Ditto for Van Morrison - The Alternate Moondance.

Davidmk5, Ghostworld and lemonade kid like this.
  9. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Very nicely mastered too. Sounds very dynamic on my system. Crisp, clean, with warm bass and analog sound. I have the Live/Dead and this is better.

I also got the Beau Brummels "Bradley's Barn 2 disc colored vinyl, Quite wonderful sounding. Seems most of what I got are by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering. Excellent as always. Grateful Dead and Van Morrison are also a Bellman/Grundman effort if I recall correctly.

10. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Anyone who picked up the Cash Folsom Prison box that can comment on the sonics and pressing quality?

joshm2286 likes this.
  11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Haven’t seen anyone mention the Cymande release yet. This one is a gem...great music and a phenomenal pressing, hype sticker claims all analog from master tapes.

12. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Next on the platter is Grant Green Funk In France. This and the Oil Can releases were an eye popping $120+ together. Come on man! No 3LP should be more expensive that Mobile Fidelity's Blonde on Blonde release.

That said, this 3LP so far is realllly nice. Wonderful sound, great vinyl pressing from RTI and Bernie Grundman (at least they ain't cutting corners here) apparently AAA. Include the equivalent of 10 pages of essay/interview. This one pinched the wallet at 70 bucks or so, but it is nice and isn't leaving me wanting for anything. And the performance on LP1 thus far is smokin good.

13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The Twin Peaks Limited Event Series Score 2xLP picture discs sound... well, like picture discs. Noisy, that is. Still cool to look at, I suppose

14. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Soul Diesel II getting a spin. I gotta say that the 4LP of Jazz Dispensary - Cosmic Stash 2016 RSD was something that I nabbed on a whim...and it has easily been my most played RSD title of the past few years. Basically a who's who and a greatest hits of jazz, space funk and fringe 7 inches that command big bucks in cult vintage instrumental funk circles...and you get like 35 of them on cool colored vinyl. This year, they are doing a sequel to one of the "strains" of the first set.

This sounds full, rich and great. I am not sure these sounded as good on a rare first pressing. Would have loved some more historical information on this guys past a tracklisting and where the track came from...but can't complain for 20 bucks. Damn, side A is bringing the instrumental funk.

15. quattroatl

quattroatl Forum Resident

My copy was also filthy, but the main issue is the distorted high hats and cymbals. Who QA's these pressings? Absolutely unacceptable that this wonderful album could be released this way IMHO.

16. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Sorry to hear this, my copy of The Sundays had no issues and sounded great.

17. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident Thread Starter

I’m cautiously optimistic that wood glue will take care of the problem. Agreed that the music sounded terrific - it had great presence. Good to know that there are clean copies out there.

18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’ve been very lucky with my purchases, none have issues, a couple have the odd soft tic but haven’t been cleaned yet. So far I’ve listened to:

David Bowie
    I've listened to the Mono side one and Stereo side two. I much preferred the stereo version, for me a much more involving listen. Good sound quality on both sides. When I return home in a month I’ll have a listen to the mono cut on my mono turntable setup.

The Lurkers - Fullham Fallout
    Sounds just as a UK punk album from the late 70’s should but on dead quiet vinyl.

Monk.
    Cut from hi-res, but a very nice listen that didn’t sound digital to me.

The Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic
    A real winner all around, one of my favorites of the day.

Michael Kiwanuka - Out Loud!
    Another winner, great songs, very good concert recording quality.

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit - Live at Twist & Shout
    I’ve read Isbell disavowed this, but I liked it. Decent SQ, no issues with the vinyl.

Neil Young - Roxy
    Excellent sound flawless pressing on LP one, haven't gotten to the second record yet.

I’ve yet to get to the three Tom Waits releases.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  19. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

Wipers -live, 1982. Considering the year, live recording, and punk rock, it could’ve been a sh*tty sounding release but it’s pretty great. Recorded on an 8 channel reel to reel, remastered from orig tapes by Greg Sage himself, and pressed at RTI. Great performance and mostly great sound

Gez and troggy like this.
  20. quattroatl

quattroatl Forum Resident

I have an OG UK pressing and this reissue would have been perfect had it not been for the distorted high hats and cymbals. Multiple people are commenting about the same issue on discog. I know this album intimately because The Sundays are one of my favorite bands from back in the day. Blind RSD reissue also had its problems with Side A waving back and forth as if on a Carnival cruise ship. Static and Silence is the only RSD repress that doesn't have a major issue. Such a shame and wasted effort...

Defrance likes this.
  21. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Fleetwood Mac - Excellent to me.
    Cure - started off ok, ended harsh, meh, should have waited for black.
    Bo Diddley - nice sundazed, but as others mentioned I get the echo.
    Reed - Very Good
    Ra Standards - Very Good to nearly Excellent.
    Eno + Shields -Very Good to nearly Excellent. Just awesome to boot. I could go for 45-60m of this.

Davidmk5 and Defrance like this.
  22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Thank you. I was afraid I’d have to bring up the Vinyl Flat again. I wish there was a bargain bin site where I could go to buy returned warped records at a 75% discount. It would probably be about the only place I’d ever buy records again.

vudicus likes this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Almost all of Zappa's records are warped to some degree.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

No. Resonance Records does not release AAA. They take newly found analog tapes and digitally master them before cutting to vinyl. I have talked with one of the owners about how they produce their records. If this one was AAA, it would be new for them.

Tommyboy, Davidmk5 and Defrance like this.
  25. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

This was done by Run Out Groove. Their releases are extremely well done from a physical standpoint. Some don’t find the sound to be as reference quality. I disagree. I have many of their releases and, as a result, this one and Baby Huey are on my short list this week.

Ben Toscano and paddycook like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.