Rubber; Cork, Acrylic or Wool.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Prof Yuri, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member Thread Starter

I would be interested to learn what the members favour when it comes to supporting their LP's?
    I would also like to know why you have chosen what you have?
    Which is best?

2. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I use a Pro-Ject black suede mat on my Rega RP6 after getting fed-up with the BS Rega felt mat and static/dust.
    To my ears the suede has a far smoother/liquid presentation than felt or cork. Never tried rubber.
    Also, zero static issues now.
    I'd really like to hear the GT Delrin platter on my RP6 though.

Long Live Analog and Prof Yuri like this.
  3. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I use a cork mat on my Music Hall MMF 9.1 table. Really solved the dust/static issue for me. Seemed to improve the bottom end to me, although you know how it is, I'm thinking of trying the Music Hall MOO mat. I heard it demonstrated and was impressed. I know, I need help!:help:.

4. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

acrylic on my Rega. sacrelidge I know, but no stupid dust mat clinging to the records and it sounds great to me!

Long Live Analog likes this.
  5. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

My Pro-Ject 5.1 came with a felt mat and a cork mat. I've used the cork mat since day 1 and have been happy

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Love the thick rubber OEM mat my Pioneer has. No static issues unless the record compound is utter @hite in which case no other mat has ever been able to improve the situation. Played an lp today in 98% humidity but prolly a lot less due to the AC (summer here)

7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Mine has some sort of open cell foam matt. I suspect it is very similar to what Herbies sells.

Cosmicgram33 and Prof Yuri like this.
  8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think it's best to use the mat the manufacturer provides, as the best table designs take into account how the record is coupled to the platter. My last two tables were designed to be used sans-mat, which is my preference. I never understood the felt mat my Rega came with, it mostly just seemed to make records dirty.

The Pinhead likes this.
  9. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Cork here, because it's permanently adhered to my platter on my Avid.

10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Thick rubber OEM mat on my Technics SL-1210Mk2, mounted upside-down. No complaints!

marvingunderman likes this.
  11. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Groovetracer Delrin Platter....No mat

scotpagel likes this.
  12. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I think you'll like the GT Delrin platter, I have the A23 Hommage mat which beats the other mats I've tried but the GT Delrin platter is the clear winner. No static or dust plus looks cool and sounds great. Comes in black or white.

raferx likes this.
  13. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I went from the provided felt mat which I hated for it's static, to aleather which made for much better sound and little to no static, to a Herbie's Way Excellent sorthobane mat. The Herbie's mat made for much improved sonics and no static issues.

14. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member Thread Starter

Gosh what a lot of different opinions and uses. I think I'm even more confused now.
    The suede mat does not seem to make sense to me, taking the price of my turntable into account.
    I am currently using the rega wool mat in red.
    Maybe I should upgrade to the RP6 before worrying about the mat?

15. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

Originally used the rubber mat that came with my JVC TT picked up a JVC DD table that came with a felt mat with a carbon coating sound got more open and virtually removed all static depends on the record now if static or not.

Jim

16. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Couldn't dump the static-generating Rega felt mat on my RP3 quick enough, and now have a suede one. Slightly fuller sound, and no dust-attraction. Another thing to consider is mat thicknesses affecting VTA: in this case the suede one is a couple of mm thinnner and it meant I could also get rid of the spacer.

17. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

Have tried various DIY mats, and have a nice suede mat too, but I always went back to the original Sansui rubber one.

18. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I use the stock rubber mats with my SL-1200MKIIs. Lightly wiping them with a Swiffer cloth before spinning completely eliminates static.

19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Felt with my Rega but also a cork Ringmat.

20. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

Herbie's for me...great product and wouldn't consider anything else.

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Thorens TD-124: stock rubber mat
    Rek-O-Kut L-34, Dual 1219: stock plastic(?) mat
    Acoustic Research AR-TX: started with cork but switched to black felt, just because it looks better

22. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

My wife claims rubber is to prefer.

russk likes this.
  23. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I went from the stock felt mat on my Project to the Acryl-It platter. I couldn't believe it but it made a night and day difference in the sound. It went from muddy to clear just like that. Tightened the bass up like you wouldn't believe. The place where I bought mine stays out of stock so I must not be the only one noticing a difference. Bonus: no more mat and no more static.....record sits directly on the acrylic.

Vernoona and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Must have tool for Lp users

(never understood all the "dust and dirt magnet" complaints regarding felt mats; they've been in almost constant use since the Edison Diamond Disc machine era)

DO NOT SPRAY directly on contact surfaces (you don't have to anyway)

Then you can use whatever mat you like

[​IMG]

25. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

While I run "naked" on my C3 at HW's recommendation most of the time, I do have a Boston Audio Mat carbon that is very revealing, similar sounding to the bare platter (detailed, articulate) and it helps with static and general surface noise.

Of course, much of this is TT/Cart dependent as well.

Here's a "White Paper" that explains the concepts behind this mat :
    http://www.boston-audio.com/products3.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.