Rubber; Cork, Acrylic or Wool.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Prof Yuri, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

Funk Firm's achromat is another great option. I like it much better than the stock mat for my LP12.

Joe P. likes this.
  2. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

Hi Ash,

Mine came with no mat. Wondering how thick your cork mat is. I'm thinking of a trip to Home Depot to purchase some cork matting to make my own as a cheap experiment.

Thanks,
    Greg

3. Anti-static carbon fiber mat on platter with a thick rubber mat on top of that. Booyah!

4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Deer hide for me

5. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Auditorium 23 Standard mat.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  6. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I got a delrin white platter for my P5 with P9 feet so from a distance it looks like a P9. No more static and along with the delrin clamp its all close to the same material on top with the vinyl.

7. russk

russk Forum Resident

Just curious, have you tried a Herbie's mat as well. I've heard a Herbie's and the stock felt mat and a do it yourself cork mat. Of the the three I prefer the stock felt mat. The music just sounded noticeably more dynamic and brighter sounding (not in a bad way). I'm very curious about a leather mat or suede. Did it change your VTA much? The Rega felt mat seems really thin.

8. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

And from you, too. At least if they know what's good for them.

latheofheaven and DarkAudit like this.
  9. Vinyl Addict

huh?:help:

latheofheaven likes this.
  10. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

The deer would hide from you to avoid becoming turntable mats, unless you were also using 'hide' as a verb in which case I don't understand it either.
    Anyway, assuming hide is a noun in your post, what properties does deer hide offer over other materials?

11. Vinyl Addict

I guess I'm still confused, or maybe too baked. Do you not know what an animal "hide" is? The skin of the animal? It's leather.

As far as what properties it offers goes...
    Eliminated my static issues
    Gave me a sound that I preferred over cork, felt, or the OEM rubber mat
    The seller will cut it to your specific platter size
    Doesn't attract hair and dust like a felt mat
    It's 2 mats in 1. You can flip it over for a slightly different sound from the suede side if you want

Reese likes this.
  12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

A Discwasher carbon fiber mat on my Technics SP-15 - to eliminate static, which the original rubber mat was notorious for generating.

I use the stock rubber mat on my Thorens TD160, to preserve that classic Thorens sound.

13. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Never tried a Herbie's mat. The A23 Standard mat I now have is the best of the bunch I've tried so far.
    The Rega felt mat that comes with the RP6 is their thick one... twice as thick as the one that ships with the RP1.
    I believe it's 2mm thick, same as the Pro-Ject suede mat. The A23 is just a hair thinner, I don't worry about VTA within a millimetre.

14. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Double post.

15. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I used a couple different mats with varying degrees of dissatisfaction and discovered a thing called The Simple Mat at Needle Doctor. Really liking it so far- cork look and texture but some sort of foam/rubber construction as well. Grips the record, lays nice and flat, very thin, really cut down on the static issues I was having, sounds nice.

16. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

I took this guy's advice and bought this http://www.amazon.com/Deer-Hide-Lea...6105158&sr=8-1&keywords=jake's+turntable+mats

Sounds better than the stock rubber mat on my technics 1200 mk2, no static, looks pretty cool, great vendor, inoffensive pricing.

MikeInFla and Vinyl Addict like this.
  17. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member Thread Starter

I went for the mat that looks like the white paper, but is in fact transparent.
    Has an indentation for the label too.

18. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

VPI Acrylic Platter... no mat.

19. With the stock felt mat, the platter on my LP120 rings like a bell. With the 1/4" KAB supermat (since discontinued :(), I just get a nice dull CLUNK.

20. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

no matter which material you use, just remember to go around the edge with green magic marker... ;)

21. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I gave in to temptation and replaced my cork mat (which I liked) with the Music Hall Moo Mat cowhide mat. I like it very much and it looks really cool to boot! When I get some time in a few days, I'm planning on a little shootout between the Moo Mat and my Music Hall Cork mat.

22. The only reason why I replaced my turntable's stock mat with this one was that I was tired of peeling my records off the mat because of static. Problem solved. And although I don't believe in the sonic impact that a mat can make, I'd swear that the cork mat made a little difference on the low frequencies, which started sounding less "boomy" and more focused after switching mats.

23. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Use Rega stock felt mat. Don't want to mess with the Rega sound. Anyway, if your turntables were grounded properly you would have no problem with static.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sounds like you do believe it, but you deny it for some reason.

25. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

HUH?:shrug::help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.