Rubber Soul CD - Canadian Pressing Featuring Original UK Mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by button, Apr 9, 2006.

1. chanlon

chanlon Forum Resident

Hi there.

I purchased the CD around 1998-2000 or so. Although I am not positive.
    I'll listen to the mp3s shortly and get back to you.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

oh boy......here we go.....

I know mine, purchased the day it came out, is the Martin remix.

3. chanlon

chanlon Forum Resident

Its the same one - not the remixed version

dunce likes this.
  4. button

button Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was the original Canadian LP the same as the UK or US version?

5. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

The original vinyl was the same as the U.S. version.

The CDs should be the same throughout the world.

Phil makes a good point about Parlophone and Capitol both being present on the photo of this disc.

Do any more members have a later Canadian pressing of the "Rubber Soul" CD?

6. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

Is it possible there's also a Canadian Help! cd with the original mix?!

7. This is unbelieveable. I only did a needledrop of that UK stereo album last week.
    I suppose if we buy up all the used copies from amazon.ca we have to be sure to ask the sellers to look at the label for logo placement, info like MADE IN CANADA not Germany, etc.

8. If you're looking to buy from an Amazon seller, just make sure to use the matrix codes - I just checked my Canadian copy of Rubber Soul and it's the re-mix. The label is identical to the one shown in the first post of this thread, but mine does not have Disque Americ in the hub nor the EMI codes that the UK mix CD has (mine has CA 2-1-6 as well as an IFPI code).

Happy hunting!

Jonathan

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I wonder if this was what George Martin rejected when he then remixed this album?

lukpac likes this.
  10. Muddy Holly

Muddy Holly Senior Member

While I can't be sure of all the other UK mix peculiarities, my Canadian version does have the "pop."
    Dave

11. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

So we have three members here with this peculiar pressing…
    The plot thickens.

12. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Is the "pop" around 1:08?

inperson

13. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Mine is a Disque Americ purchased in Hamilton, Ontario in 1991 and it definitely has a "pop" on Run For Your Life. It also clearly states Made In Canada.

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

In Canada we always had the Capital versions, so I guess no one noticed these were the original UK mixes. So, which sound better the originals or the Martin remixes?

I have the US version. I'll have to compare this with my brothers Cdn. version

15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

In theory a good plan except that 99% of the third party sellers on Amazon.ca are based in the USA, and I'm asumming do not have Canadian manufactured CDs. ;)

Although the advice for checking for the 'Parlophone' logo, "Made in Canada" statement and the Disque Americ manufacturer ID is essential if you want the correct Canadian disc. Beatles CDs for the domestic market in Canada were manufactured at different times in West Germany, the USA and Canada.

16. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Here something else that is kind of interesting. When I put my "Disque Americ" Rubber Soul in the machine it lists the total running time at 36:00. When I put my wife's UK made Rubber Soul in, it lists the running time at 35:48.

17. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Pure magic :) pardon my ignorance (I'm not english) what is a needledrop ?

18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

A CD copy made directly from vinyl.

19. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

It is not uncommon in Canada to have discs and CD covers imported and the domestic information added on.

My Canadian CD's of Abbey Road and Peppers are also Parlophone with Capitol Records Canadian address on them, on the right side. The discs indicate MASTERED BY EMI MFG. IFPI L043 on the inner ring.

20. I am also curious whether the Canadian HELP cd would have the "wrong" mix as well.

If any of you have a Canadian manufactured HELP disc, the dead giveaway that it has the original mix is "Dizzy Miss Lizzie" will not have that stupid doppler digital-echo on the voice.

21. Are you kidding? The remixed Rubber Soul has NO bass, and the echo is not the Studio Two echo chamber, it's digitally generated. The eq is really sterile as well, no "tube whoosh" or body in the midrange. Sucked out and dry, like everything else mixed in the eighties.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I got all excited about this only to find "Made in USA" stamped on my disc. I must have bought it second hand. BTW the American disc I have (CDP 7 46440 2) still has the Parlophone logo on the left and "Manufactured by Capitol Records" on the right -- don't the other American discs?

I find it hard to imagine how this could have happened, unless these discs are a bootleg of some kind and the OP just didn't realize.

I notice the disc pictured still says "ADD" on it.

23. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

If this is true (and it seems to be)...god, how did everyone miss it for 17 years? I mean, Beatles scholarship upon Beatles scholarship....bah.

My head just exploded.

How the heck could this happen, anyway? EMI sent out digital masters of everything...

24. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

Can't find my Rubber Soul, but my copy of Help! is here at the office. Looks a lot like Button's copy of RS. On the inner ring, it shows up as manufactured by Disque Americ, and the code EA31<011>C246439 appears. Same Parlophone logo to the left, with the Capitol trademark disclaimer on the right.

Thomoz, what should I be listening for on "Dizzy Miss Lizzie"? John's vocal sounds clean, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Scan of the disc appears below.

Attached Files:

• Help.JPG
      Help.JPG
      File size:
      118.2 KB
      Views:
    lukpac likes this.
  25. Muddy Holly

Muddy Holly Senior Member

Yep. I'd have said 1:07.
    Dave