Rubber Soul LP (vinyl) - best pressing at reasonable price?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fleet Fox, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a decent sounding copy of Rubber Soul LP (Stereo) that is not the original
    pressing (way out of my budget) ? Also i just do not trust modern digital vinyl reissues.

Are the German or Spanish Odeon pressings from the 1970s decent? What abouta 1980s UK pressing?
    My budget is around 30 euros .

I recently picked up a mint copy German 1970s pressing of Magical Mystery Tour and it blew me away sound wise.

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Rubber Soul is a very "funny" album in terms of sound because parts of it are pretty high ended...the wrong pressing-such as the EAS Japanese pressing from the 70's-can cause sibilance headaches (Michelle downright distorts). If you're looking for an original mix version, I'd try to find a reasonably priced MFSL pressing from the 80's (and I know that's not easy). The 80's Capitol rainbow pressings are quite good but here you'd get the American version as opposed to the U.K. I respect your dissent for digital versions but I have to tell you, the 2012 stereo pressing (from the EU) sounds great. It's not the original 60's mix but I actually find this to be a good thing for the most part. While i can live without the added reverb on Nowhere Man, the rest of the album sounds smoother and more rounded than the original mix versions. And I agree, the German MMT does sound phenomenal...especially if your ears were at one time used to the Capitol album with the fake stereo on three of the side 2 tracks.

3. I like the EU 2012 too if you dint want to search and pay $$$. Good price.

Maybe the one Beatles album where the US betters the U.K. trackwisee even though it’s not the artist’s intention. Grab a nice US Capitol too.

4. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident Thread Starter

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The UK pressings up until 1987 will all be fine and have the original stereo mix. Before I found an original stereo pressing I had a mid 70s one and absolutely loved it. It still had the laminated sleeve too.

fmfxray373, Rega p6, YardByrd and 2 others like this.
  6. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Fleet Fox and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

I’d grab a 2014 mono LP because if you continue to wait, it might go out of print similarly to what’s happening with Sgt. Pepper’s.

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I was going to suggest one of those as well but he specified, "stereo".

forthlin likes this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I love Rubber Soul. My favorite Beatles album, but in my opinion, there isn’t a satisfying sounding version of this album in stereo. Both stereo mixes leave a lot to be desired. I’d go with the 2014 mono.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  10. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

2014 mono LP. I know you are looking for stereo, but you might as well grab the very best at the most reasonable price, IMO. Typically, they can be had for around 20 bucks (Amazon, etc...)..which is a miracle for new, sealed vinyl these days.
    I wish you good luck in your search!

Beatleboy1968, Man at C&A and DK Pete like this.
  11. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

UK 2 box if you want the original mix. Ive read the purple label wally capitals w british track listing (‘87?) are nice but may be from digital? Someone here can fill in the blanks. Edit: am i thinking of purple or rainbow?

Anyone have thoughts on the ‘95 press?

12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Those '87's are digital...and so is the '95. They're both of the '87 George Martin remix. I don't think they really sound much different from one another but overall, they sound pretty good. But that might also be attributed to the remix...the other digital vinyl versions-especially those from the earlier days-sound somewhat shrilly. With The Beatles in particular is awful.

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

How does the Mofi vinyl rate? I have a mid-'80s pressing.

Evan Guest likes this.
  14. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Obvious answer - late '70s/early '80s UK 2 box. Around $20.

This place, I swear...the guy says he doesn't want digital, mono or pay a lot. So he gets digital, mono and expensive (1 box) suggestions more than anything else.

MGM, JonF, Josep Fernandez and 18 others like this.
  15. Vinyl Socks

Because we all love to recommend the very best! ;) And the 2014 mono LPs are cut direct from the original tapes.

Gardo, perplexed and leeroy jenkins like this.
  16. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Ya prefer the martin mix mostly because i grew up w/ the cd and was always curious of how it sounds on vinyl, if at all different.

And my 2box is pretty sibilant.

Was the martin remix done all digitally or did he remix the analog but bounced to digital for mastering?

17. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Yep, a UK 2-box -3/-3 is the way to go here.

Gardo, jgrillo, Gavinyl and 1 other person like this.
  18. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I have a copy of the original '65 Capitol US stereo pressing, which still sounds pretty good...better than the mid-70s Apple reissue.

Aftermath and Vinyl Socks like this.
  19. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I get your point, but not everyone likes their Beatles in mono. I understand this, because I'm one of those people.

dalem5467 and Archtop like this.
  20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

2014 mono reissue. 2012 U.S stereo reissue. I like both. Both moderately priced.

fmfxray373 and johnny q like this.
  21. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's one of the best contributions of a discussion board to question the premise,
    especially when it's flawed.

krlpuretone likes this.
  22. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

If you get the newer stereo lp, check the back cover for the sticker "made in Germany". Get that.

john lennonist likes this.
  23. Vinyl Socks

I'm sorry...sometimes I am stereo-sensitive concerning The Beatles.
    I only truly enjoy Abbey Road and Let It Be in stereo. But I do seem to remember my older brothers' Capitol stereo Rubber Soul (pressed in 1965) sounding decent to my young ears in the 70s.

leeroy jenkins likes this.
  24. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Any UK 2-EMI box pressing from the 1970s will do fine. Credits on the rim should start from: EMI RECORDS LTD...
    It costs today about $20-25. $30 will be already too much IMO.

25. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

For the US version, the best pressing is the purple Capital label pressing from late 70s-80s. That’s my favorite version and Beatles album.

Dr. Funk, John Bliss and c-eling like this.