Rubber Soul LP (vinyl) - best pressing at reasonable price?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fleet Fox, Jan 20, 2018.

1. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Buying the stereo Rubber Soul brand new from Amazon US should result in an Optimal 2012 pressing that was made in Germany. My recent White Album from Amazon US has the made in Germany sticker on it.
    Buy from Amazon itself. After getting a noisy American pressed Hard Days Night from Target I ordered one from Amazon UK and it was the the German pressed (EU) album. So ordering from Amazon UK should get you an EU pressing if you are worried about a dodgy Rainbo pressing made in California.

Although both my Rainbo Beatles For Sale and With The Beatles sound pretty good. My Rubber Soul is an Optimal pressing sounds great.

I am talking about the 2012 stereo remaster albums. These are really good sounding 180 gram LPs that are not too much $$$. Just try to get the German pressings if you can.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It has the “smiley face” EQ. It lacks the midrange of the Parlophone pressings.

Gavinyl likes this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Sue us.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Matt Starr likes this.
  4. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

What is flawed about his premise? He is pretty specific about what he's looking for.

JonF likes this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

My late 70s Canadian is great. Not the UK song list, of course.

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

His premise? He doesn’t have a premise...he’s not making an argument. He has a preference.

Are you questioning his preference?

7. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Do not buy, under any circumstances, the French stereo Pathé Marconi domestic pressings from the 70’s.
    Any late 70’s UK pressing should be fine, and I bought a Japanese AP Rubber Soul for €20 and it sounds great.
    Now I’m looking for a German RS, is the light green pressing any good?

Kick likes this.
  8. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

70s UK two box EMI is exactly what your looking for.
    If possible hold out until you see a HM in the dead wax.

Gardo, Gavinyl, EddieT and 1 other person like this.
  9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

But DO try and find à French Pathé Marconi for UK pressing from 73/74. Essentially an original for a lot less dosh.

RobNeil likes this.
  10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

11. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

The best stereo version is an early two box EMI from Great Britain. It will have Made in Great Britain at the bottom of the rim. It is a little bit better than the later 70's and 80s Two Box EMI pressings. Better depth of sound and these were not played much generally too. Worth looking for. The sound matches the overpriced one box EMI pressings.
    However, the best mix is the mono for this album and you should get the 2014 mono without delay.

Gavinyl and Shak Cohen like this.
  12. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

no need, go for the cheaper 2 box with gramophone co rim text not emi rim text, these like the 1 box are all but indistinguishable from the originals.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  13. muffmasterh

just posted the same, and they are cheap too u can get them for 10 quid a shot in the UK

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  14. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm sorry this made me laugh out loud....funny

15. Fleet Fox

What are the blue label Odeon pressings from different parts of the world like sound wise?

Thanks for all the comment. Even though I haven't specified it, you have peaked my interest in the 2014 mono too

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Do you not like the mono mix or perhaps you already have it?

17. muffmasterh

which is why i recommended the early 2 boxes, 1 boxes are no longer that expensive ( 40 usd ? ) but those early 2 boxes are dirt cheap

18. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Did you bother following the link for the one box version? There are many selling for less than the OP's stated target of 30 euros, while there is an interest in the "original pressing".
    Did these still use 1965 -3/-3 tube cuts? Do you know which matrix indicates the first solid state cut?

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agreed highly, that is the best Rubber Soul you can buy for reasonable money. Rivals a good original UK pressing. Better than either Stereo mix.

20. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

The 2014 mono Rubber Soul is still available at a reasonable price, at least here in the US. Many other 2014 mono LPs, especially Sgt. Pepper, seem to be gone except at ripoff prices.

McLover likes this.
  21. muffmasterh

the -3-3's last until well into the mid 70's, however it is the pre 74 issues with Gramophone co rim text that i particularly recommend as the vinyl quality is still high

Man at C&A and Dinstun like this.
  22. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I prefer the german pressing (Odeon) over the UK two-box pressing.

McLover likes this.
  23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I've had a 1981 German Odeon blue label pressing since 1981 and it sounds great to me. Perhaps a bit more treble than I'd prefer, but still very nice. 1 C 072-04 115.

24. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Which two box pressing, though?

muffmasterh likes this.
  25. Fleet Fox

Can someone please please provide a discogs link to the 2014 mono? apologies i am bit non technical with these things..