RUMOR - She Loves You in stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, let's see.

The Shadows stuff had to have been on four-track from 1960? All well and good, but it's actually on 1" three-track. I've seen "The Young Ones", recorded in No. 1 studio. Three-track.

So, I'm even more confused.

Regarding Billy J., I've only seen twin-track Billy J. stuff up until the "From A Window" sessions. So I don't know what sort of documentation that they found, but No. 2 studio didn't have a four-track unless they wheeled it in from studio 1.

The Billy J. remixes by R. F. show that there ain't no center channel on that stuff, which jibes with what I've seen.

George Martin told me in 1976 (before he forgot everything I guess) that he begged Papa EMI for a four-track machine and they finally got him one in late 1963.

There ya have it.

Means nothing to most of us, but EMI indeed had a three-track machine in studio 1 'cause I've seen the tapes made from it!

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I'm sure this would (or should) not happen in today's world beyond the fact of saving our musical heritage. No wonder our harbors were such a mess (they're much cleaner now, thankfully). Maybe the real influence of the tear that the wandering indian produced (remember the ads?) was not caused by any old garbage in the harbor but by seeing floating, rotted Ernie Kovacs material or "Fill in the blank"...

Todd

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, Allan isn't hard to contact - [email protected]. I thought I had some e-mails on file from him on the matter but it seems as if I don't. Nothing specific anyway.

As far as 4-track in 1960 - that was reported in the EMI anniversary book a few years ago. Unfortunately I don't have the book myself, but it noted EMI got their first 4-track Telefunken in 1960, and it was mainly used for opera stuff.

Anyone have that book handy?

4. Steve Hoffman

Luke,

The audience has tuned out.

It's just you and me!

LOL!

5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Not tuned out just quietly watching and learning.

6. lukpac

What else is new?!

Even more interesting is that Fortune Teller was cut at Decca, so you'd *think* it would have been cut on multitrack. Yet, every version out there is mono.

Then again, it's not really a favorite song of mine anyway, so...:)

7. lukpac

Ok, now I'm replying to the wrong thread...great...:D

8. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Tuned Out

>>Nahhhhhhh.....mikeys still here.

I never leave a discussion about EMI and Abbey Road. One of my fav subjects!!!!

Thats really interesting about Abbey Road having a 3 track. That might have been a short lived thing, until they got their 4 track.

"Apache" and "Wonderful Land" were both done in a LEAST stereo, not mono as many have written.

The original "Wonderful Land" had no strings. It was just The Shadows . The strings were added a full year later. What a great recording that is!!! The stereo version is just spectacular.

Mikey

9. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

That's ok Luke, since I'm currently just lurking on both these active threads - it all makes perfect sense to me. Billy J. Recorded Fortune Teller in '63, but never released it until 1966, whan it mysteriously appeared on a Stones live album. They may have just unearthed the twin track master of the Stones sessions and there is an ouside possibilty that we may get to hear a Beatles B-side (I'll Get You) in all it's twin track glory for the first time, right?

10. Steve Hoffman

Very funny!

11. RetroSmith

I just....

>>>I just thought of Something.

If they do indeed find the session reel for She Loves You, they might find one complete take that contains the backing track for the German Version. That would prove many Beatle historians wrong who say that The Beatles Re-recorded the backing for the German version, SLD.

I cant wait to find out what they found in Abbey Road, if anything!

12. lukpac

Re: I just....

Well, that would have to mean they used an existing backing track for SLD!

And based on documentation and the sound itself, it sure seems as if they re-recorded it in Paris.

13. RetroSmith

Re: Re: I just....

>>>>>Oh, I know. I'm just saying that its possible. Lets hope we find out!!!

Mikey

14. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Does anyone know if the audio tape cataloging that John Barrett (and later Lewisohn) did at Abbey Road in the 1980s only covered the Beatles reels or did he catalog everything? Was the job just to detail the contents of the tapes labled "Beatles"?

In 1994 Abbey Road did find a 1964 demo tape that had been mislabled or misfiled. Two of the demos were released the next year on the "Beatles Anthology". It seems to me if the tape box had actually said "Beatles" on it that it would have been cataloged back in the 1980s.

Maybe this is the case here, that the tape was simply mislabled or put in the wrong box. Also, maybe this is one of those famed "stolen reels" and it has finally been returned. "She Loves You" was one the "big one's" and maybe someone thought it would be cool to have the actual session tape. If I was there at that time it would have been tempting to at least borrow the tape for a while after it was already mixed.

But, until conformation, I am going to consider the story another hoax from one of those psychopath trolls that haunt the Beatles newsgroup.

Lance Hall

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, since EMI has no interest in issuing any twin-track stuff in stereo, at least we won't have to suffer from more digitally-remasturbated material from Mr. Mew AND we therefore have a better chance to have our administrator issue it properly, right Steve?

MMM

16. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Actually they did much to my suprise. "I Saw Her Standing There take 9" the 'Free As A Bird' CD single is totally twin track stereo.

17. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Yeah, complete with disguistingly dense echo and flat sound.

I can't way to hear a Peter Cobbin edit/remix if only to see how they totally screw up the song!

Lance Hall

18. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

If the tape was indeed found, I am sure that Geoff Baker would have wasted no time in issuing his usual (re: sensational) "LOST BEATLES TAPE FOUND!!!!!!" press releases that he is so famous for.

19. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

At least it was a start.

20. xios

xios Senior Member

Slight spanner in the works here. The 1991 remix of the Freddy and the Dreamers stuff by Furmanek has vocals and instruments split on the first six cuts, all done at Abbey Road between March and September 1963. There are instruments split left and right with vocals center and vocals center and right with instruments center and left- could these be 4 track? If they're bounce downs they have good clarity. Notes dont have the usual "2 and 4 track tapes" comment as on most of the series. Anybody know?

21. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

If there were 3 reels of the SLY sessions and 1 has been uncovered, there may not be all the takes necesssary to re-create the version we al know and love. After all there were more than a few edits in that one, if I recal correctly..........

22. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Steve, why don't you just call someone at Abbey Road? You must know someone over there. I don't have the number but I gotta believe you have one. Ask 'em what they found. Or give me the number, I'll call.

23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Hi Steve-I'm new to this forum, and think you are the God of reissues.

When the Beatles works are remastered, you MUST be the one to redo them(and that includes the first two in twin-track stereo). "She Loves You" in stereo would be a good first track for you to attempt.

24. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

SLD & SLY - same backing track

Having read this article (see link below) and listened carefully many times on headphones to the soundclips I am now utterly convinced that Sie Liebt Dich was recorded using the STEREO She Loves You backing tracks. As SLD was recorded in early 1964 this suggests that the stereo SLY had NOT been wiped or destroyed.

The SLD stereo master is in EMI's vaults - it's been issued on the Rarities LP in stereo. I only pray that they have found a stereo version of this song and, like you say, prove that the SLD backing track was NOT re-recorded.

Check out this article. Most interesting.

http://www.shelovesyou.info/slyandsld.html

25. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Re: SLD & SLY - same backing track

If you listen closely to the German version, you can hear that George fingered chords with 4 notes, as opposed to three note chords on "She Loves You". Also, Ringo hits the crash cymbal in spots on the German version where there is no crash cymbal on "She Loves You".

Ringo's tom toms are very clearly differently tuned on the German version - lower and deader.

Not the same backing tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.