Rumors that Michael Anthony may rejoin Van Halen in 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zep Fan, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on Thread Starter

They're only rumors, after all, but, as a VH fan from the 70's, I'd like MA back, to sing the harmonies as only he can. Some say DLR is giving obscure hints through his "Roth Show". I'm not going to hash out the details, I'm not about that, but if you google the topic, you can read something. I read about on the VH Links fansite.

Timmy84, steveharris, ShawnX and 5 others like this.
  2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

unless new material is coming out whats the point

4. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

IN IN IN IN.

zebop, bru87tr and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

In terms of goodwill towards fans and giving them what they really want then hell yeah!!! everyone wins in this case.

6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Now if only they're bring back Sammy, that would be a proper Van Halen reunion.

:hide:

intv7, Purple, SonOfAlerik and 7 others like this.
  7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Last I heard, Roth was insisting on Anthony's return as a precondition for any further VH collaboration with him, so maybe pigs really can fly.

SteveSDCA, HAmmer, Timmy84 and 3 others like this.
  8. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

How about they play all those tour dates they cancelled the last time?

MarkO likes this.
  9. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Cool - and makes sense. And you know what: let Sammy and Dave alternate the vocals. Why not? At their age, it would give them a respite that would help the performance.

Kind of like Mick Taylor joining the Stones for some songs.

10. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

When can we see that VH footage from '78 and '79?

Andrew and bru87tr like this.
  11. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I don't believe Dave has one iota of power to swing around with the VH brothers as far as Michael Anthony is concerned. This could only happen if Wolfgang doesn't want to be there anymore. Which does seem possible because he has other music gigs and he looks bored as hell playing with Van Halen.

I would LOVE to see this happen. I admit that the loss of Michael Anthony (and the lead track Tattoo, which is still the weakest song) kept me away from A Different Kind of Truth for a long time. My bad, turns out it's a good album.

Wolfgang does well, but his voice is not the signature voice I want to hear propping up an aging and struggling David Lee Roth!

This would be great but I'd be highly disappointed if it didn't lead to another album. And I would worry that Eddie would be even more likely to fall of the wagon without his son around. I believe it's Ed's sobriety that was a major factor is Wolfgang wanting to do this all along; taking care of his dad!

benzo, Fullbug, gd0 and 3 others like this.
  12. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

At this point I would rather have Eddie doing some instrumental stuff than a new Van Halen album or tour.

13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

According to Van Halen News Desk, there is no new album in the works despite rumors to the contrary, so the point of bringing M. A. back would be to drum up fan interest for a new tour.

That said, Roth states that the band has been working on a "special project", but maybe that's just code for his negotiating Mike back into the band.

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great news, if true. His background vocals helped make the band in the old days. I heard he use to warm up his voice with Ian Gillan songs. Tough workout.

gd0, Carserguev and bru87tr like this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

An Anthony return would be fantastic; although it does seem unlikely that Eddie and Alex would cut him back in as an equal partner. That said, I thought the show I saw a couple years ago was horrible, so even with Anthony, I can't imagine plucking down $100 to see that spectacle again. Still, I would love to see the original four collaborate on an album of new material.

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Sure he does. If Dave leaves, what are they going to do?

wavethatflag likes this.
  17. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Eddie is a grudge holding m**********r. The only reason he worked with Sammy in '04 and later reunited with Dave is because he needed them to sell tickets.

He doesn't really need Mike in the same way so I don't see this ever happening.

18. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I swore to myself after seeing them with Wolfie I would never ever waste my money on them live again... that is unless Michael Anthony was back in the fold. So, I hope the rumors are true!!

19. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I'm hoping Dave is the voice of reason in this matter so Mike can come back. He's sorely missed on their last album. Those songs sound incomplete without his vocals

GodShifter likes this.
  20. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Call Gary Cherone.

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

You know the band is messed up when one is depending on David Lee Roth to be the "voice of reason."

Rodz42, Canadacrowe, rickg and 15 others like this.
  22. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Eddie will be 60 in five days and is wealthy beyond words. Alex has had a bunch of divorces but he's surely been made financially whole by the last ten years. They don't have to do anything!

I have always believed that Eddie wanted to get Wolfgang in the rock and roll door and that's why they needed Dave. Sammy would never agreed to dumping Michael. Dave was a better option anyway because he's the original guy, more popular as the frontman of VH, and he was not going to say 'no' because of Michael's non involvement.

Nobody can convince me that Dave is a full partner in Van Halen. Dave isn't going to push for Michael unless Wolfgang has already decided to step aside. To put it more simply, if Wolfgang wants to be in Van Halen, he will be. Realistically, Dave is probably the least powerful guy in the band now.

Moonbeam Skies and Panama Jack like this.
  23. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Is Eddie really likely to sack his son?

24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Like that track from the Twister soundtrack? That was great.

25. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

With Eddie, anything is possible. ..

BeatlesBop and ARK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.