Rumors that Michael Anthony may rejoin Van Halen in 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zep Fan, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I care about Michael Anthony too. I like his bass playing better, I find Wolfie acceptable but a bit stolid. Plus Anthony is just a better player and singer.

junk likes this.
  2. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I think the common belief is that if Mike were to ever return if would be because of Wolfgang wanting to step into his own thing and encouraging Dad and Uncle to finish the band with the original lineup. No one believes Eddie would ever turn on his son and remove him. Wolfgang is the most powerful member of Van Halen now, oddly enough. And with that said it disappoints me that he's making a solo album because he's the one with the power to get a Van Halen album made and instead he uses his creativity and drive to put out solo material.

I would have thought that Eddie would have been hell bent to make a Van Halen album (or two or three) with major song writing contributions from Wolfgang. But maybe it turns out that that would require too much Eddie and Dave in the same room and Eddie just doesn't want to deal with that.

ARK, GodShifter and wavethatflag like this.
  3. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Given that it's been announced that Wolfie won't be touring with Tremonti so he can do the VH tour; I don't think it's going to happen this year.

4. moops

moops Senior Member

I can see Wolfgang getting twitchy because at his age he doesn't want to be sitting around waiting 4+ years between albums, he just wants to make music and make it now.
    Wolfgang may have his Dad's ear and Eddie may take his advice/opinion on board, but for anything to move in that camp the final green light has to come from Eddie.
    If Eddie ain't happy, it ain't happenin' ........ and Eddie's final decision then makes it easy for Alex to decide what he's doing.
    I really don't think Alex could care less if VH ever toured or played again.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Did Wolf contribute any original bass parts used on the Roth Reunion tours or truth album?

6. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

I don't think Wolfy is the most powerfull member currently, pretty much is still his father, he decides who is in and who is out.

7. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I really like the bass line in Stay Frosty. The intro to China Town ain't bad, either.

8. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I for one will not go see them UNLESS Michael is back with the band...the original lineup of Van Halen. Otherwise, they're Menudo.

9. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Mmmm interesting, would i pay to see wolfie? No definitely but i would for Eddie definitely.

10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Not at all. But I'm sure the one person who apparently matters (EVH) thinks so, only because Wolf's last name is VH.

junk likes this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Good post, but I completely understand Wolfgang at least trying to establish his own musical identity.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Wolfgang Van Halen is light years beyond MA, technique wise, as a bass player, and I say this as a fan of some 36 years or so.

13. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Hmmm, technique maybe but Wolf couldn't touch Mike groove wise IMO. Like I said before, Mike is a great player IMO, he just got overshadowed by Eddie.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Mike is better than the VH albums reflect (just listen to Chickenfoot) but in terms of pure musicianship, Wolfie kills him (and I've seen VH with MA 3 times in the early 80's).

15. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Wolfgang looks like someone who stumbled into a room of strangers. He is technically a super bassist but he doesn't have the intangible quality that Anthony brought to the group.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  16. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

People go on and on about MA's background vocals but most don't give him the credit he deserves as a bass player. In my opinion he is great and really far better than Wolf.

17. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I respectfully disagree dude. I honestly don't think Wolf kills him at all. Wolf plays with a pick and Mike alternates between a pick and fingers but he's primarily a finger player , which IMO makes him better.

Aggie87 likes this.
  18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Wolf could probably play circles around MA from a technical standpoint, but that doesn't make him a better bass player for Van Halen. I think MA's simplicity was exactly what the band needed to provide some stability behind everything Eddie and (insert VH singer here) were doing. Sure, Wolf can play more technically complex parts, but this is Van Halen, not Dream Theater.

zen, RAJ717 and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  19. SizzleVonSizzleton

Let's all remember something; Eddie seems to have never had much, if any, respect for Mike as a player. Early in VH's career Eddie told a guitar magazine that Michael brought nothing to the table! Once he was asked about Michael playing keyboards onstage (I can't remember but I think it was for And The Cradle Will Rock), they asked Eddie if Mike was a keyboard player and Eddie's response was "he can be taught". Then there's the absolutely delusional idea of bringing Billy Sheehan in to replace Michael.

Mike would be thought of totally differently if Eddie had ever had a tiny bit of respect for the man and threw a few compliments his way.

It isn't that Michael had a falling out with the band, he was NEVER in with the Van Halen brothers. Dave was off on his own planet and only had the courtesy to say something nice about Michael in 2013, and even then it wasn't about his playing but his vocals. Interesting this comment only came from DLR came when he was at rock bottom with his own vocals, and probably realized how necessary that 'high note' was.

And back to Wolfgang briefly, one of the main things that bugs me about him is just how utterly bored he looks onstage all the time.

ModernDayWarrior and GodShifter like this.
  20. serge

serge Forum Resident

the thing is ... Wolfgang is wasting valuable time and focus on Van Halen... they are an oldies band...doesn't he want to make it on his own? The worst thing Wolfie can do is continue with Van Halen

ARK and PHILLYQ like this.
  21. SizzleVonSizzleton

I just watched the live clip of Dance The Night Away from Kimmel and Wolfgang plays it with his fingers.

Sadly, I also listened to the clip!! #thehumanity;)

22. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Why not let Wolf play rhythm guitar, and bring back Mike for bass? I know Ed wouldn't stand for it to bring Mike back, but at least he would still have Wolf in the band.

23. SizzleVonSizzleton

Another guitar taking up sonic space is surely one thing no Van Halen fan wants. I know I wouldn't.

GodShifter and vamborules like this.
  24. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

The intangible that Michael brought to the band was his steady, but not overbearing bass playing. He and Alex worked/synced so well together that it truly was the "Van Halen sound" more so than Eddie's guitar.

Kossoff is God and zen like this.
  25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

But
    where would Wolfie find room for chords? Eddie is already the rhythm player in Van Halen :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.