Run Out Groove: fan-driven, vinyl-only label from Warner Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Apr 4, 2017.

1. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Just got an email saying that the Secret Machines reissue LP has been delayed until mid-August. They actually mentioned in the email that they have a system in place now for periodically checking card #s, in order to avoid the scenario that apparently happened to someone in thisthread above (they pre-ordered, then their card expired or was cancelled before it was charged, the card wouldn't go through, so they got bumped lost their pre-order spot). They are saying that they have seen and fixed that particular problem, at least that sounds kinda positive.

2. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I have the new Echo and the Bunnymen lp. I think it sounds great and the brief liner notes by Will Sargent add to the release.

3. AtcoFan

AtcoFan Senior Member

Interview with Run Out Groove's Matt Block

4. iworkatinitech

iworkatinitech Forum Resident

They released some of the tracks from the upcoming Morphine release on spotify (not sure how to link) and the recording sounds really good...much better than Bootleg Detroit!

5. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

My local store is holding a copy of the Secret Machines which I will pick up tonight. The packaging definitely looks top notch but still skeptical on the source. I only have the cd to compare to so we shall see how it sounds. Will report back with good news hopefully :)

6. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

My Secret Machines should arrive today or tomorrow - looking forward to it!

In the meantime, allow me to plug what I hope will be their next release. Out of the three up for voting, I'm partial to the Delaney & Bonnie "Motel Shot Expanded" release. I have the CD, but having it on quality vinyl with the bonus acoustic tracks would be amazing.
    I beseech you all to vote for it here:
    Motel Shot Expanded

:)

bibijeebies likes this.
  7. Minafer

Minafer Forum Resident

Just opened my copy. I had high hopes.... Doesn't sound good.

8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, listened to my copy of the Secret Machines all the way through. It's a quality vinyl pressing, but the mastering/sound isn't that great. It sounds a little brickwalled to me. Not as bad as most modern CDs, but it doesn't have the dynamic it should and it's too... I can't put my finger on it, it's both too loud and too brittle. I mean, it's not unlistnable, but it's not the "audiophile" home-run I was expecting. And I'm not even that much of an audiophile, though I can tell great mastering apart from good. This is neither.

Paully likes this.
  9. Minafer

Minafer Forum Resident

I agree...I have a 2004 pressing, it's not the best sounding record, but it sounds better than the re-issue.

10. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

Finally got to sit and listen to mine last night. The quality of the vinyl is lovely and the packaging is simple but very nice. The quality of the audio I think is better than what I have on CD (the original), but it's still not great. I do wonder if the original production was done correctly in the first place and I wonder what source they used for this pressing. It doesn't sound like it was intended for vinyl. This is one of those bands who have lots of "wall of sound" personalities and that's hard to not make sound brick walled, but there songs on here like "You are Chains" that should sound a lot more dynamic and deep than it does here or the original CD or even from Tidal.

11. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

MOTEL SHOT EXPANDED 2LP
    It is open for ordering now:
    Pre order opens: 9/5/17
    Pre order closes: 10/4/17
    Release date: 12/15/17

12. dualstacker

dualstacker Forum Resident

I know you posted this a while ago but I was really hoping for this release also and would love to see Weird Tales (also by Golden Smog) released also. At least Down By Old Mainstream had a short run on vinyl and can be found occasionally on e-bay (albeit at high prices). Doesn't look good in future for either unfortunately.

bibijeebies likes this.
  13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

On the Music Direct listing for Delaney and Bonnie's Motel Shot, Run Out Groove is touted as an "all analog" label in the description. Hope they do an AAA release on this one. I preordered it to try one from the label. I have the original U.S. pressing of the album, so we'll see how it compares. This expanded edition (same bonus tracks) was already made available on CD earlier this year on a different label, Real Gone Music.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  14. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

Oohh maybe we’ll finally see a reissue of John Hartford’s Aereoplane.

15. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

17. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I'm no audiophile, but I was very pleased with how it sounded.

chacha likes this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Nobody has the Dr. John yet, do they? No sign on mine.

19. bibijeebies

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This thing is just a big farce, a friend also has a "reissue label" and that means he suggests ten titles to a label, gets turned down on nine and is supplied with digital files for the tenth. Which he then hands over to a pressing plant who makes an in-house mastering.

What's the use of that? It's just a cheap way for larger labels to milk special markets without taking any risks. Personally I wouldn't buy a product like that.

21. bibijeebies

It is cut by Jeff Powell. There is a post over at the FB-page of the Sam Phillips Recording Service.

22. bibijeebies

You are nice to your friends!

23. Neonbeam

Haha, I won't name names and he's not especially happy with the situation either.

Two edged sword. You help to bring something back but at the same time you totally know that the method sucks.

24. bibijeebies

Ok, he checks the files before mastering?
    Edsel didn't in the case of Robert Palmer.

25. Neonbeam

Well... he's from a time when "reissue label" implied things like "tape research" or trying to reproduce artwork faithfully. Not: "OK here are your files and scans and we'd be surprised if you manage to sell 500 copies of this but it's your money so we don't care!":crazy: