Runout Groove Messages

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think The Damned did this on the b-side of Love Song, the song Suicide goes into a locked groove.

In fact I think if you did a search of 'locked grooves' or some such you might find an older thread on this.

2. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

In addition to those mentioned, I'd add Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime, which has car noises on more than one side.

3. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

The Who Sell Out

Gong-Camembert Electrique

4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I've got three German Sgt Pepper LPs and at least one of them has the groove thing 'cos I played it this week.

Also Brian Eno's Taking Tiger Mountain has a locked groove of cricket sounds at the end of side one. I only have the UK original, not sure which others do it.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Def Leppard - High & Dry - "NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!".....

6. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

Jeff Lynne's "Armchair Theatre" has a weird sound and a brief comment (which I still couldn't make out, something like "hm, still going?" at the run-out groove of side 2.

7. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

8. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Tom Rush - The Circle Game (original LP)

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Moody Blues On The Threshold Of A Dream (side two)

I had a thread last year about reading the suggestion that some pressings of the s/t album by Happy The Man had a lock groove, but no one had such a pressing.

10. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Never owned this on vinyl... what's in the runout?

11. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The James Gang - Yer Album (Bluesway/ABC) is the main one that always comes to mind

12. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

IIRC, Hawkwind's In Search of Space had white noise/ocean wave sounds on the runoff grooves on one of the LP sides.

13. So are there any/many records that don't have locked grooves but still have sounds in the run-out groove? I don't think I've ever come across any...

14. Linus

Linus Senior Member

The Damned’s Machinegun Etiquette has the phrase “nibbled to death by an okapi” in the runout on side one. I think the phrase was sampled from Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy.

15. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Time to brag...

My album, ROUND, which was mastered and cut by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray (and pressed onto 180 gram vinyl at RTI), has the sound of my dog Sophie barking in the run out groove. Kevin was very kind in trying to make it happen for me.

Samples of the album are here: www.footrecords.ca/ccsounds.html (but to hear Sophie you have to buy a copy of the album! lol)

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Vinnie Vincent Invasion, end of Invasion, I believe. It went on and on on the LP. It cuts off on the CD.

Jim N likes this.
  17. The Windchimes

As well Yoko Ono's "plastic ono band" has a locked groove on side 2

18. Peter Gabriel - 2

19. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wishbone Ash - There's The Rub

I'll never forget the first time I heard the runout groove.

Martin Turner does a growling lion/tiger impression in the runout on Side Two (if I recall correctly). Scared the ***** out of me first time I heard it - I had an automatic turntable that never played the runout grooves and had listened to the album already hundreds of times so I had no idea there was anything extra on the LP.

Then one day I brought the album over to a friend's house and we were blasting it out at extreme volume in the speakers in his living room (when his folks were out that was the place to be to listen to music). For whatever reason he was not in the room when the LP ended and I was alone on the couch. His stereo system was upstairs in his bedroom and he had a manual turntable. The record ends and I'm spacing out coming down from the herbally enhanced aural assault and suddenly a lion growls at me. I freaked out, thought I was about to be eaten alive.

A cool postscript to the story is that 15-20 years later I'm in the UK for some Ash shows (either 95 or 96, I forget which) and hanging out in the dressing room after the show I got to ask Martin about it and he recreated the growl, scaring other people in the room!!

The album was produced/engineered by Bill Szymcyk, who also did similar stuff with Joe Walsh/James Gang records.

21. sf74

sf74 Active Member

Stereolab - Ping Pong - the b-side Moogie Wonderland
    The Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream
    Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music
    Blur - The Great Escape - at the end of Yuko and Hiro
    The Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill - at the end of Fight For Your Right

22. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

The Dukes of Stratosphear (XTC) - 25 O'clock. Wonderfully rude backwards message side 2 run-out groove.

23. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica, side 1
    Arcade Fire - The Suburbs, side 3

24. OldMusicOnVinyl1

OldMusicOnVinyl1 Forum Resident

25. OldMusicOnVinyl1

OldMusicOnVinyl1 Forum Resident

Side 2 of non-US pressings of ABBA's Super Trouper end with an infinite standing ovation. I have two Canadian pressings to prove this, but one of them, strangely enough, has the audience fading out as the needle travels through the runout before it hits the actual lock groove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.