Runout Groove Messages

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

"Drive On" by Mott (without "the Hoople" when Ian Hunter left). Has "Eh, drive on" in the runout groove to end side one.

Side two ends with a male and female screaming, then groaning until you lift the tonearm. Scared the (bleep) outta me when I first heard it (some 30 years ago). When I played it for my kids, they both jumped.

2. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

Motorpsycho's Roadwork 1 has no grooves in what would be the run-out area. The first half of K9 Suite ends with a locked groove over an an inch away from the label. It has a high pitched sound ensuring anyone who might have drifted off on the music to jump up and switch to side 2 immediately!

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Ah yes, telling one what one can do with their atom bomb...

4. As someone who already had quite a reputation for including various types of message in his work, Armchair Theatre by Jeff Lynne features no less than FOUR distinctly separate hidden pieces! The first is actually a short instrumental called Spaceship/Gulls according to the liner notes in the Japanese release, followed by Jeff saying "it's still going, ya know" in a rather hushed tone. Next, there's a further brief sample of bells, although the CD and cassette versions of this album lack the fourth and final section, which is a series of clicks designed to emulate a record coming to its end. However, the last portion isn't looped... or at least I don't recall this being the case (I just have my CD edition these days, unfortunately).

5. Martin2011

Martin2011 New Member

Two others which I don't think have been mentioned,

On Yazoo's second album You and Me Both, Side one ends with somebody saying "I think you should do the first one again Vince" and the lock groove then consists of an endless loop of laughter.
    Also side one of BA Robertson's album Intial Success ends with a locked groove which repeats the words "Let there be drums".

On the cassette versions of both albums, the dialogue that makes up the lock groove is only heard once.

6. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Please specify, which pressings are those? What label? What year? What country? What barcode on the deadwax? I only have Beatles "Sgt. Pepper" and Abba "Super trouper" (canadian), I would like to have more examples. Thanks.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think if you find Fly By Night with the Mercury "skyline" label and the lyric sheet, and On The Threshhold Of A Dream with the lyric booklet, those pressings will probably have the lock grooves.

In the case of On the Threshhold I can verify that later pressings do not have the lock groove (the noise fades out instead).

8. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

My copies of Who sell out on classic records has the lockout on both the mono and stereo.

9. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Is that the 1st UK pressing or another country/year of edition?

10. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Thanks. I'll probably search among the used records in a store.

11. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Yay! Found "The Threshold of A Dream" and "The Who Sell Out" with locked grooves!:D:goodie:

I wonder what would be the top ten of these locked grooves. Sgt. Pepper gibberish would probably be No. 1:laugh:

12. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

On my American pressing there's no such words in the loop, there's some queer music playing. Which pressing has words "Track records" in the loop?

13. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

How difficult is it to cut something like this? Even if you weren't trying to get the loop to match up in any sonically pleasing way but just wanted to have sound at the parts where the needle is led up to the lock groove and then also in the lock groove, all you'd have to do is not cut the feed to the cutterhead and try not to cut back over the groove again by too much, right?

14. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

panda bear's latest LP, Tomboy, finished with a crowd cheer/chant. I think its for the song "Benfica" which is a Lisbon soccer team. Noah lives in Lisbon, so I'm guessing it's the Benfica fans cheering/chanting.

15. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Moody Blues-On Threshold of a Dream UK pressings have continuous music in the runout groove on Side 2.

16. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

And does that No-No-No go smoothly when in the locked groove; or is it messed up at the point where the groove joins itself?
    What I mean is does it keep the same pace within the locked groove as outside of it?

17. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Mine plays smoothly with an even pace. (I can only take so much "No-No-No" though...)

18. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Um... Probably wasn't an easy job to get it flawless with all-analogue mastering. Is yours the 1-st pressing or later?

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Will have to check - it's a good, early pressing.

20. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

Gillan - Nervous (locked repeating bass note), side 2 of Glory Road. 'Porky Prime Cut' and 'Waiting for number three' in the deadwax.

Virgin V2171-8 A4/B2

21. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

I just discovered an accidental one. I played the two copies I had of Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything? to determine whether I need to get the Chris Bellman-mastered Rhino lp (of the two I have, the MFSL creamed the blue/red Get Back reissue). I noticed that side 4 of the Get Back version had next to no deadwax, so I put on the last cut to check for IGD. To my surprise, the song "Slut" never quite gets to the "Whew!" that ends the song (where Our Hero presumably drops dead). I just hear that last guitar swell over and over.

"I Went to the Mirror" ends oddly too. It doesn't leak into the locking groove, but the song ends before the fadeout, in the middle of the line about going bald. It's as if the cutting engineer saw that space was running out and hit the runout groove and muted the tape.

Thinking of getting rid of this one and getting the Rhino.

OldMusicOnVinyl1 likes this.
  22. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

I ebayed the UK original - true, absolutely flawless inner groove! :pThat was probably cut by means of computer. First try - and flawless result! (unlike Sgt.Pepper)

23. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

Unless I'm mistaken the original pressing of the UK version did continue indefinitely as it was cut into the run-out groove.

Chip TRG likes this.
  24. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

If that is indeed the case, then that is VERY cool! We just got a simulated cut here in the US.

25. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

The 7"single (45rpm) of Joan Jett & The Blackhearts Fake Friends/Nitetime does have a locked groove at the end of side 2 (final chords of Nitetime); however, that groove is NOT concentric, and there's no runout thru the deadwax (that's where the deadwax is truly dead!:D). That's probably a locked groove in the American style since the majority of Americans use automatic TTs that won't let a central locked groove play:winkgrin:.

BTW I wonder how the very first gramophone records ended(if there was no concentric or eccentric groove). Did they end like described above, or did the groove path simply disrupt?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.