Runout Groove Messages

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

San Francisco 1980's punk band Flipper had a song called "Brainwash" that was the b-side of a 45.......it was a small snippet of a song that repeated over about 8-9 times......the final time, it ended on the inner groove.

2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The first edition of Jimmy Buffett's double live You Had to be There has the applause at the end of Side 4 continuing through the run-out groove until you lift the needle. Curt Boettcher's There's an Innocent Face has racecar noise at the end of "Bobby California" on Side 1 continuing in the run-out groove. The last song on Side 2, "Wufferton Frog" has chirping frogs in the run-out groove.

3. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

A video on You Tube,concerning the "Sgt. Pepper's" Runout....Forwards,it says "Never Could See Any Other Way"...However,when reversed,it says "Will Paul Be Back As Superman?" Listen to THIS,if You dare!

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In his Rolling Stone interview from 1974 Paul commented on the theory that it was something more objectionable than that.

Folknik likes this.
  5. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

"Eh.... Drive on!" on Mott's 'Drive On' album.

6. fab4

fab4 Forum Resident

Pearls Before Swine's Balaklava has a runout groove at the end of side 2, that keeps repeating the Trumpeter Landfrey's Charge of the Light Brigade. Before that runout groove , we can hear the tape of the album playing reverse and fast. So the album starts and ends with the same Trumper Landfrey. It is well done and delivering quite a dark and pessimist message.

There is an other album by Pearls Before Swine / Tom Rapp which has a runout groove repeating, but I can not remember which album.

7. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

I wonder if that endless drip-drip-drip was intentional or just accidental. The timing of the sound in the loop isn't perfect - the dripping doesn't keep its original pace after it hits the loop (unlike Def Leppard's No! No! No! which is one of the greatest examples of a locked groove ending). Now I'm not surprised that the gimmick was not repeated on subsequent LP issues of the album. Sorry for the spoiler to those who yet didn't hear it. :)

If, however, this album should be digitally re-cut one day, maybe they might get a better drip timing by a computer.

8. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

The single "Fake Friends/Ninetime" of 1983, 45 rpm. Not a regular lock groove, however.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Probably due to the complexities of vinyl pressing. Similarly, in my experience it seems a lot of pressings of Moody Blues Threshold Of A Dream are offcenter so the "drone" doesn't maintain a consistent pitch when it reaches the outgroove.

10. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Or maybe the problem is the dripping itself - its pace will not fit into one turn of a record no matter how hard you calculate.
    My copy of Threshold Of A Dream has got the inner groove OK.

11. Ayshpaysh

Ayshpaysh Forum Resident

Better late than never...
    If you listen to the funny music in the groove of your US Who Sell out, it's actually the whole band (with Pete prominent) saying "Track Records". But it's heavily muffled, distorted and processed.
    I thought the same about my Track mono till I read about it somewhere here.
    The unprocessed take of them saying Track Records over and over and beginning to crack up laughing is a bonus hidden track on the Who Sell Out Deluxe Edition.

12. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info.;)

P. S. I wonder if there's somewhere an unprocessed version of Sgt. Pepper Inner Groove - before that tape was cut, mixed up, and then spliced back together.

13. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Not audio actually cut into the runout groove, but a funny etching....

I just noticed that one side of the 12" single packaged with the "Caligula" soundtrack (of the movie's disco 'love theme' - that doesn't appear in the movie, thankfully) has the tiny inscription "SEX SELLS." Well, the movie certainly proved that, eh? (Also in the same enormous runout groove - the side is only 3:40 long - is the unexplained "TONI'S FIRST".)

14. weaselone

weaselone Well-Known Member

and the march of the drums at the end of Pyromania!!

15. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

I just went on a record store run today and got Lenny White's Big City album. Both sides have runout groove music on them. As well as the Venusian Summer album which was mentioned.

16. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

Just listened to the Boomtown Rats album "The fine art of Surfing". Side 2 after the song "When the night comes", there is silence as the record is over then the run out groove has a voice that says" that concludes episode 3, we will return shortly" then some singing voices. Pretty funny

17. I've just noticed one for the first time on an album I was familiar with since 1973! At the end of side 2 of "Focus III", by the group Focus, the quiet guitar feedback concluding Answers? Questions! Questions? Answers! gives way to some fake laughter in the back, extending into the runout area and ending with or merging into some short bit of weird noise. It's not locked (won't repeat), and it's very quiet, so you need to turn it up quite loud or use headphones to hear it.

My source is the original US LP set cut by Bob Ludwig.

(PS: That's some mean, rocking piece of guitar workout there on that album side, BTW!)

18. Denny Anderson

Denny Anderson Forum Resident

Ha! I always thought it was saying "nibbled to death by a copy," but figured that wasn't correct. I never knew what an Okapi was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.