Rush 2112 40th Anniversary Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I'm thoroughly enjoying this and surprised it's not getting more chatter. The remaster has great dimension and clarity. The 76 video has the cleanest sound I've heard for this rarity. The covers are fun and interesting for 2 reasons. 1. It's absurd and impossible to better the originals and you can feel the love in the performances. 2. Now that the band are retired, retrospective interpretations seem more interesting. I really like the entire packaging presentation - very carefully crafted.

Billy_Sunday, dlokazip and saundr00 like this.
  2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

How so? There are like fifty million remasters and reissues of 2112 I personally am fine with one of those reissues including a fun thing such as this

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  3. dgs

dgs New Member

Absolutely agree with this! In addition to loving the 70's era progressive stuff, I'm also an unabashed 80's metal guy (Fates Warning, Maiden, Megadeth, Testament, Exodus, Extreme, Dokken, Ratt, Dio, Badlands, T.N.T, Zebra, Queensryche, Loudness, Racer X, Savatage etc...) and I HATED with a passion the music of the 90's, grunge/nu metal/pop punk/emo alternative... As a musician myself, grunge offered me nothing except a bunch of detuned guitars (Sabbath and even Kings X already did that, and did it better than any of the grunge crap) played by "three chord guitarists", no guitar solos (or embarrassing themselves by attempting them, can you say Soundgarden), and singers droning on about their problems (I have enough of mine, don't need yours!). Save for a few bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Jag Panzer, and the amazing musicians on the Shrapnel label who continued to record (Greg Howe, Tony Macalpine, Richie Kotzen, Haji's Kitchen etc.) etc., the 90's were dark days for me. Music has continued on a decline where now I can't stand any of it, just garbage.

I picked up this 2112 40th Anniversary edition yesterday and have been listening to it non-stop. The mastering on this is incredible, so unbelievably clear, like listening to 2112 for the first time. The DVD concert was amazing, keeping in mind that we're talking audio and video that is now also 40 years old, and recorded with lo-fi equipment, so my expectations weren't super high, but I really enjoyed it. The bonus disc with the covers is worthless (the live version of Twilight Zone on that disc is awful, and the other two live tunes were already on All the World's a Stage). A much better Rush tribute album with MUCH better musicians (Mike Portnoy, Jake E Lee, Billy Sheehan, James LaBrie, Michael Romeo, Steve Morse, James Murphy, Deen Castronovo, Ray Alder, etc.) was released in 1997, called Working Man. I own it, highly recommended.

[EDIT]Forgot to mention, I also enjoyed the DVD Q&A with Lifeson and Terry Brown, some interesting stuff. Lifeson also has a great sense of humor, he made me laugh a few times, especially when discussing the "leafy" inspiration behind A Passage to Bangkok...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  4. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

It is still way too expensive here in the UK - at least the vinyl and the deluxe box is. I'm out until/unless the price drops...

5. I find it heartening that some can forgive or overlook the disrespect and laziness shown by this release. It may be fun but you're paying for it. If I wanted to hear cover versions or tributes I'd purchase the Working Man CD. I don't and I haven't.

At the very least, on a 40th Anniversary release you'd expect the material to be from the same era, why not include a full alternate ATWAS? Instead you get lame covers by artists with no connection to Rushin 1976.

Rush, the band that always gave us precious gifts beyond compare now resorts to cheap gimmicks.

DiabloG and FunkyNut like this.
  6. HotelYorba101

I don't see it disrespect at all, really! I mean when it comes down to it, there are a lot of different reissues, nobody is forced to pay for this specific one right? You are entitled to your opinion that the tributes are lame however your dislike doesn't automatically equate to disrespect on the band's part - I gladly am going to pay for the CD with Steven Wilson and Alice In Chains doing Rush songs. Actually even just the idea of Steven Wilson doing a Rush song is exciting as hell to me! That is a cool thing they did

But that is just me, for me I suppose it isn't a huge deal because we as buyers can just not worry about what we don't like and focus out money on what we do like

texron and Ben C. like this.
  7. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

The cover versions are a decent idea but they are not the strongest selection of songs and playing with arrangements is always a gamble-a couple don't work. But nothing is lost.

8. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

The covers are a deal breaker.

Former member 30842 likes this.
  9. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

If it weren't for the great covers, I'd be pretty disappointed with the remastered CD itself - it's my least favorite mastering of 2112! But I dug the 'extras' (including the liner notes), so happy overall :)

10. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Haven't read through this whole thread but the Blu-ray of 2112 is an impressive release with the comic book video that accompanies the music. I wish they had done this for all their digital releases. After all, most (if not all) their songs are someone comic book songs...being a bit broad here I know.

11. HotelYorba101

Is it a completely unique mastering? I have the Hi-rez 2015 download only remaster which is very nice and didnt know if this used that mastering or not!

12. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Just curious, but would that include the 1997 and Sector remasters?

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's the same truly excellent mastering apparently.

EDIT: no, it's not.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  14. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Yes from memory though-I have both would need to go back and check-Sectors is a bit cranked irc. If I get time I'll check but I have a pile of records to play...:)

15. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Really? saundr00 wrote that it is louder and brighter than the hi-rez/vinyl mastering. I only have the CD and think it sounds nice but I'm curious if it's the same as the hi-rez mastering.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

My bad, didn't see saundr00's post. The DR values are different apparently, and the CD is indeed slightly louder.:
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database »
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database »

17. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

I posted some samples in the Mastering thread if you want to compare:
    2112 - samples of "Something For Nothing" from the ANC-1-1004, MFSL, and 40th Anniversary:
    http://www.bentox.com/2112samples.rar

18. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

Sort of a little off topic but i seen the 2112 tour when it came to big rapids michigan at ferris state college starr auditorium. Hard to believe but my buddy and i got there 2 hours before the concert , it was general admission and we were the first ones there ! It must have seated about 500 or so. We went right to the front. We were right in front of Geddy. What's really amazing is it only cost a dollar. That's right , a dollar. I still have the ticket stub. It did end up being packed and they put on a great show.

19. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

I apologize - I did not see this post on my initial scrolling!
    I haven't heard the Sector remaster, but 1997 vs 40th... I would take the 40th over the 1997. Two reasons: 1) the 40th is slightly smoother on the high end than the 1997, and 2) the 40th has a noticeably better DR. Volume matched, they're not light years apart, but the 40th is a little warmer in the low mids and a hair less bright.
    But the W.German, Canadian Anthem, and MFSL are all choices I would take over the 40th. The 40th is more similar to the 1997 than any of those pressings.

DiabloG likes this.
  20. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

You probably don't want anything from those 1997 remasters relating to Rush.

So the CD mastering isn't improved either?

The attraction for me (Still haven't gotten this yet.) are the alternate Massey Hall tracks and the previously available but fully restored Capitol Theater show.

I was hoping for the same transfer of the 2015 vinyl issue (still need to get that since it still has the original art) but I guess that does not appear to be the case?

21. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

I owned all the '97s, and still have most of them in the basement - pulled them out when I was doing my big A/B (c/d/e...) of Rush CDs. They're not terrible - unless you're really listening for problems and intentionally comparing them to other CD versions of the same album. I remember buying them and enjoying them just fine back when they came out! Not like... "Oooo - what a great remaster!" but more like: "My original Rush CDs and cassettes aren't in the greatest shape after all these years... I should pick up some replacement copies. Ah, these sound fine - yay!"

Listen to the above clip and see if it suits you. It just may. We all have different listening setups and different ears.
    And I do remember reading someone saying that the CD 40th remaster is different from the prior Magee remaster... that there were complaints that the prior one was 'too warm' and this one rectified that.

DiabloG and ytserush like this.
  22. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Speaking of that, the funny thing is that the '97 remasters actually were released on cassette. Whether or not they have the same amount of compression, I don't know, but I might check out 1 or 2 albums if I find them.

Ben C. likes this.
  23. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I had all of the original Rush CDs and was hoping for an improvement that never happened. (They rate lower in my opinion every other Rush CD out there. (The MFSLs, Audio Fidelitys, Sectors, Originals...mostly US pressings but there are some Japanese and Anthems in that mix) The only good things I can say about the 97s is they got the original artwork right and What You're Doing and A Passage To Bangkok rejoined their live albums from Chronicles. I guess I still keep them around for the art since the Sectors pull everything out of context and into a huge booklet.

I plan on getting this new one at some point. (It is Rush, though I'm only at the 2CD/DVD level.) Still have most of the Magee vinyl to get too.

Funny thing is I prefer the Mobile Fidelity Rush releases, but in the case of 2112, I don't. It maybe the warmness since I don't think this record in particular should be warm based on the way it was recorded. (I found Nirvana's Nevermind to be like that too. It sounds great, but I don't think it sounds like that record should sound. I prefer the more harsh original.

Like you said though, it's all about personal preferences and what you have to work with.

Ben C. and DiabloG like this.
  24. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Oddly enough, I was never into prerecorded cassettes so I can't say if there is any difference.

25. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Yes indeed, a Signals soundboard release would be nice.

DiabloG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.