Rush 2112 40th Anniversary Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's what made me re-buy it, especially the superb versions done by AIC and Steven Wilson, which arguably are BETTER than Rush's originals.

dlokazip likes this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'd like a multitrack recorded show, uncut and complete, from each tour 76-88...for certain they exist for each album's corresponding tour, except for Hemispheres and Signals...not sure about those

jamesc likes this.
  3. pool_of_tears

There's a really good audience sourced show out there...from December 1982 @ Nassau Coliseum.

johnny q likes this.
  4. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

That MIGHT be the best US show.

There are a few others of similar quality from the US too, but I think the best shows of the Signals tour are the ones recorded overseas.

London and Rotterdam spring to mind immediately, I think there are one or two others.

But as was said -- Nothing close to a soundboard though

5. pool_of_tears

Do you know if any Signals shows were recorded on multitrack?

6. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Got the CD/DVD. Nice mastering of the original album. Bonus material is hit and miss.

DVD is why I bought it. It didn't disappoint, but it provided one missed opportunity: If they weren't going to include the original artwork in the packaging itself, why not put the visuals of it on the DVD? That way, the original cover, including the gatefold, could be viewed in HD.

7. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

They have a place if rush agreed to have them there. If they didn't and it was the label, then I agree

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I actually like the Sector remaster of 2112....:hide:

I just got in the mail this week the 2112 VANK-1004 and thought it was exceptional. That being said the sector box version is a very nice listen. No need for another remaster.

Well that is of course Steven Wilson takes a crack at the catalog, which I hope he will :agree:

9. motionmover

motionmover Forum Resident

Agreed, I prefer most of the Sector remastered. They just straight rock the best. Lots of detail and punch.
    YMMV...they are a tad too hot....in a brighter system the Sectors might be too much of a good thing.
    I tried a few of the hi-Rez downloads, I find you really have to crank them...they are more mellow compared to the Sectors.

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Sector 1 is a great listen. Not so much the debut, but the rest of the albums are very nice, and sound great on my system. Caress of Steel and All The Worlds A Stage flat out rocks, and the DVD Audio of Fly By Night is a real treat. I'm surprised this set doesn't get more love.

johnny q likes this.
  11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Personally I was glad to replace the Sectors remasters by the Sean Magee ones. They were much too fatiguing, "modernized" (in that they tend to all sound the same, irrespective of their era) and compressed in your face.
    Many 2015 remasters were a revelation for me who didn't have access to most original vinyl or CDs. I think Magee did a consistently stellar work.

12. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I think the 2015 Rush Magee's are stellar, right on through Moving Pictures.

13. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

Never!

14. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I agree completely! I heard a little bit of the Sector versions of various albums through a friend of mine and I just remember them being a bit on the needlessly compressed side, it wasnt a easy listen especially when compared to the fairly decent original issue CDs. These 2015 remasters are killer, they have that mixture of clear and also crankable. I don't know why we had to go through so many confusing amount of remasters to finally get us to where we are though!

Scooter59 and Plan9 like this.
  15. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

If I'm not wrong, there should be a recording from about 1979 (Pinkpop festival?), at least a partial one. They released one song from that show on the R30 DVD.

16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

No clue.

17. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind a Magee CD reissue campaign. Have the previous ones but it would be nice to have all the choices available and listen to the strengths of each as the mood strikes.

Endymion likes this.
  18. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

As I recall, that version was part of a Pinkpop Festival broadcast over in Europe and that appeared to be the only Rush song featured (La Villa Strangiato.) I suppose it's possible the full show was recorded but who knows if it was preserved?

19. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

There is audio of the whole performance. As far as video, hopefully it was saved.

20. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I believe they are exactly the same version.

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

:edthumbs:Just got the 2cd/DVD set. The DVD is amazing 1976 footage of a young Rush. Love the covers tunes, pretty impressive. The booklet is an interesting read.

22. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Still haven't bothered with this yet though I plan to at some point for the alternate Massey Hall tracks mostly.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  23. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

This is currently £9.99 at Amazon UK.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  24. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Finally picked this up in the used bin. Love the alternate Massey Hall tracks but the real surprise for me is how great the studio album sounds. Totally blown away. Have to admit I probably won't listen to the covers much though they seem heartfelt. The crazy thing is the remastered Capitol Theatre show.
    It's surreal watching the video while listening to the audio track. It looks and sounds great....really cleaned up as compared to the other versions I have but it almost seems like the video and audio don't belong together. Difficult to explain really.
    May become my preferred version.

dlokazip likes this.
  25. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I posted this in the deals section but here is a great price for this version stateside, $9.99 shipped!

Rush - 2112 (40th Anniversary) DVD/ CD Combo

It seems like a great way to pick this new version up for those of us who see it as being somewhat redundant given that the 5.1 version wasn't released all that long ago. I picked up mine from this company over a month ago at $13.50 shipped which I thought was a good deal.

Johnny Reb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.