Rush 2112 40th Anniversary Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

My $4 eBay order is out for delivery! Can't wait!

I've got an old silver-to-center Mercury 2112 CD; is there any reason to keep it now that I've got (or will have!) the re-issue? Is the old CD's sound better?

2. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Mine arrived today! Brand new in the shrinkwrap, with the sticker on it to boot. I checked the 3 discs and the matrix on each one looked legit. I haven't given this version a listen yet, but I'm happy that nothing was wrong with the order. I'm looking forward to comparing it with my other 2112 CDs. Aside from the early Japan versions (which I believe are just level-shifts of the Anthem), I think I've got every unique mastering of this album. :)

johnny q and Johnny Reb like this.
  3. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

I wish they would give the deluxe treatment to EVERY album.

Jupitermadcat, johnny q and DiabloG like this.
  4. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I'd love to see a 30th anniversary Hold Your Fire (not likely) or a 35th Anniversary Signals (a bit more likely). A 40th anniversary Farewell to Kings might be the most logical choice if they want to do another deluxe set this year, though.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  5. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Mine is on it's way too me!!

boboquisp likes this.
  6. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

My copy arrived yesterday, and I've been listening to it every since! Mine was also a factory sealed legit copy. Great price! The set itself is fantastic. I actually really like the new artwork (although surely they could have found a place for the original artwork somewhere in the package?!), and the whole package is very nice and sturdy - all around well-designed. The liner notes are some of the best I've read, and certainly not boring.

Okay, disc one: the remaster is one of my best-sounding discs, imo. Really perfect sounding on my rather pathetic system. Crisp with a high-end that sounds great to these ears, without sacrificing any of the awesome bass and midrange. I love it! I A/B'd it with my old silver-to-center Mercury CD and the new one won by a long shot (I gave my old one to my brother who didn't have any copy of the album!).

Disc two is okay, but really just a bonus. It's great to have the "Solar Federation" part by itself, I'm so going to freak out my family by playing it! :D The covers are very non-essential, and rather pointless except for Steven Wilson's nice cover of "The Twilight Zone". I probably won't play the other 4 again though. The Massey Hall live stuff sounds great, and it's fantastic to have it here. The live version of "The Twilight Zone" is unlistenably bad sounding, but I'd rather have it than not! And the radio ad is a fun little thing, glad they included it.

Disc three (the DVD) is also pretty good. I only watched the concert (that's all I care about on here). It's awesome to have these six performances!!! While the video and sound quality are a little sub-par, it's a very fun watch and listen, and man, what were they thinking with those hairdos?!

All in all, some of the best $4 I've ever spent! Get yours now if you haven't, you won't be disappointed. 5 stars all around, and the remix is absolutely brilliant.

7. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Glad people are getting good deals on this. I got mine for Christmas or else I would have snagged one for myself.

johnny q and Johnny Reb like this.
  8. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Received my $4 Ebay 40th set today, sure enough, brand spanking new, arrived in great shape :).

boboquisp and Johnny Reb like this.
  9. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Mine should be here tomorrow. I think that Universal thought this set would sell like crazy and that it didn't sell very well at all and have sold hundreds of copies to discount merchants. There is one company that is selling them for $9.99 with free shipping and has several hundred copies.

10. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Massive Rush fan but this looks extremely lame. Milk it until the end guys, why not!

12. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Thanks to this forum, I was able to snag a $4 eBay copy as well! I really wanted the Massey Hall outtakes and the video (which I remember watching on YouTube years ago), but no way was I shelling out $30 for another copy of this album, even with those bonuses.

Well, $4 is just about the deal of the century, because I am not disappointed in this release! Granted, I haven't listened to the remaster of the original album and I skipped over the cover versions, but the Massey Hall outtakes are worth the price of admission. Despite a few minor flubs, this MAY be the definitive live version of 2112---it just sounds so good (esp. the drums)! "Something for Nothing" is not far behind and, while it doesn't top the ATWAS version (my favorite), it still is great, making me wish for a full "Massey Hall Concerts" release with the same mixing/mastering approach (modern but tastefully done).

The concert footage is exactly what I expected---not a huge improvement over the YouTube version but still really nice to have. Audio is decent enough that I am currently playing it through my stereo without even watching the video.

Thumb's up!!

13. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Wow, I skipped over this initially but for $4 I can't resist. The fact that there are so many copies of this sitting around somewhere for someone to unload on ebay tells you just what a terrible idea it was from the start. But again, $4. Thanks for the tip!

boboquisp likes this.
  14. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I personally don't care enough about the bonus content to buy this.

15. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I'm stoked to have it for so cheap -- less than the price of a beer in a bar -- but I find it mind-blowing and distressing that I suspect they obviously pressed too many copies of this thing -- have a sinking feeling that the death of physical media is not all that far now. It mainly wasn't a very good concept for an anniversary release anyway. Shows you there's definitely a right way and a wrong way to do these things.

Billy_Sunday, DiabloG and Plan9 like this.
  16. morgan1098

I think most people were so turned off by the idea of cover versions that they didn't even consider this. I was among them. But for $4 I will get 4 Rush bonus tracks, a live Massey Hall concert on the DVD, and a decent booklet. I'm good with that. I will continue to ignore the cover versions.

DiabloG, coniferouspine and Echoes71 like this.
  17. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'll buy that for $4!

18. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Just listened to the cover versions (despite telling myself I wouldn't do it), and though they weren't the disasters I was expecting, they definitely will be filed away in the "once is enough" category. Interestingly enough, the cover of "Passage to Bangkok" might have been my favorite---I'd never heard of Billy Talent before (I thought it was a single dude, not a band, until I looked them up), but they did a serviceable job. I was disappointed in Steven Wilson's take on "Twilight Zone". I guess I was expecting more from him, but the arrangement just didn't do it for me.

DiabloG likes this.
  19. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Here's the problem, they just did a deluxe release for 2112 only 5 years ago. IMO they should have saved the Massey Hall outtakes for a complete Massey Hall box for that album.

But hey , for $4 you really can't go wrong.

They need to do deluxe editions of A Farewell To King's, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves.

20. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Universal must have had huge expectations sales wise for this set which wasn't a great idea for the points you mentioned. The fact that it's not even 6 months and these are all over Ebay at insane prices I guess Universal just wants to dump them even at a loss. Sometimes I think the people at the labels in charge of these releases just think to slap a few things together and label it Deluxe or Anniversary edition and they will sell like hot cakes. I wonder how many copies Bestbuy is sitting on since they had an exclusive lenticular cover.

Plan9 likes this.
  21. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Holy cow - I can't believe I preordered this at full price! I don't regret it but, damn, what a deal you guys got...

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  22. morgan1098

Got my $4 2112 set today. As others have said, it's a sealed US edition. Not a bootleg, not a cutout. The booklet is 40 pages and almost all text, an essay by Rob Bowman. It's one of those slightly oversized booklets like the kind that used to come in Universal Deluxe Editions with the plastic slipcases. There's around 25 minutes of Rush audio on the 2nd CD when you remove the "cover versions." Again, you can't go wrong here for $4.

23. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Mine is apparently coming in the mail today....

Was chewing the fat talking Rush the other day with a friend of mine, a really big Rush fan (we go back a long ways with this band, and we sorta buy different stuff by them from time to time, and geek out about it like two middle-aged 15 year olds.). What we really think should happen, is an Exit Stage Left re-imagining, with complete shows, like the Yes Progeny: Seven Shows From Seventy-Two box set. Just give whatever they recorded back then, to somebody skilled with tape like Brian Kehew, mix 'em nice, and slap 'em in a box with some great Hugh Syme artwork in that old school style! Fans would go crazy for it! It's not like Rush were great some nights and sucked other nights. I'm sure they had a few equipment failures or SNAFUs here and there, but by and large, every Rush show I've ever heard has been superb. We know they recorded a bunch of shows for the making of Exit Stage Left. Incredibly frustrating band sometimes!

ODShowtime likes this.
  24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

What is really frustrating about them is that they have not had a well produced album since at least the 80's. I have a soft spot for Exit Stage Left mostly because it was the first live Rush I heard. The over production and smoothness on it does not really bother me although All The Worlds A Stage is still superior. Clockwork has some really good ideas, damn shame really. I was very pleased with the quality of the reissue campaign though. Great sounding vinyl!

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up guys! I got my cheapie the other day in the mail and really enjoyed the DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.