Rush 2112: Super Deluxe CD/BD.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by full moon, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Santa brought this [basic version] for Christmas otherwise I might have delayed getting it for a while.

Not a 5.1 guy so I can't comment on that (other than to say the band prefers the 5.1 mix not to be aggressive), but I think the stereo is comparable to the better sounding versions out there. It's at least in the neighborhood anyway.

Certainly the 1997 remaster of this can be torched if you haven't already.

NOT a fan of the "reimagined" artwork and liners and the comic book doesn't do anything for me either. Being a purist about this kind of thing may have something to do with that as well as being a big fan of Hugh Syme's talents most of the time. I'm SO glad I trusted my instincts and avoided the hardcover super deluxe edition.

The three live bonus tracks are the diamond in the rough for me. Not a lot of decent recordings of those songs from the Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures tours and they didn't mess that much with the Taurus pedals so I'm a very happy camper in that regard. Very happy.

2. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Agressive the 5.1 is not one for the stereo heads

3. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I, for one, find immense pleasure in the entire thing. Love the art, comic panels, and mostly the sound. The 5.1 mix is a joy. The live cuts are also a treat. Even if you are not a Rush fan, this is a very nice item to have.

4. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

I think it is the same mastering of the Sector Boxset.

5. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

Really like the stereo high-res. Nice tonality/EQ. Like the bonus tracks as well.

6. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

Yesterday I listened to DVD-Audio (5.1). After I've read the comments here I thought the sound would be worse. Of course it is not Steven Wilson's mix, but as for me the sound is not so bad.
    What I really dislike is absence of original cover artwork.

7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Sounds to me like your 5.1 set-up may need some tweaking/adjusting since you're the only one to
    hear it this way?

8. full moon

full moon Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, the 5.1 mix is better than Moving Pictures??

9. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Yes! Moving Pictures was disappointing. This is entertaining!

10. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

What the hell?? NOBODY is carrying this in my town. I saw it in Best Buy the very first week it was out and then it was gone. They are not ordering any more of it. I guess I'll have to order it.

11. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

Drove to the next city or so over to a BB that actually had the CD/DVD. Almost not worth the effort, the 5.1 is compressed, and the mix is slathered in reverb. It's ridiculous.

I AM listening to the Dolby mix. I can't listen to the Hi-Rez in the car, and DD mixes tend to have compression and reverb whereas MLP does not. I guess I'll try listening to that at home and see if its just as bad.

12. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I dont think so. I havent changed any of my settings for DVD-A and everything else I have in that format sounds fantastic. I would not say anything negative about most anything Rush related unless I really thought something stunk, and this one is a real stinker. For the most part, the only use for the surrounds is echo off of the vocals. The center channel doesnt even have a discreet vocal. I think the whole thing is a gigantic disaster save for the live tracks but hey, just one guys opinion.

13. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I would suggest for folks to compare this DVD-A to say Steely Dan's "Gaucho" or Becks "Sea Change" on the DVD-A. There is no comparison. The latter two albums are clean, clear and crisp with discreet channels in each song compared to the muddled mess that is the 2112 DVD-A. Perhaps i'm comparing apples to oranges here, I don't know. All I can say is that it is far and away the worst DVD-Audio disc in my collection and oh how I wish that weren't so!

14. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Nothing from the Silverline label then ?

This is better than 'Moving pictures' IMHO but its a close run thing, and when you stack it up against the King Crimson releases you can see exactly why this was a lost oppertunity.

I dont think its as bad as some discs I have though.

Preston likes this.
  15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

These are the DVD specs as per the press release on rush.com:

DVD AUDIO/VIDEO SPECS:
    -5.1 Surround Sound mix by Richard Chycki in PCM (DVD-Audio players) and 48kHz / 24-bit Dolby Digital (DVD-Video players)
    - 96kHz / 24-bit PCM Stereo (DVD-Audio players) and 48kHz / 24-bit Dolby Digital Stereo (DVD-Video players)

I find it a bit confusing in that the 5.1 mix lists 24-bit for Dolby Digital but has no sampling/bit rate for the PCM audio track. I was planning on buying this soon, but I don't want to until I get confirmation that the DVD offers 24-bit for both stereo and 5.1. Can anyone help me out here and provide me with solid info?

16. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Following up.......I finally got to play the replacement DVD-A surround program. Worked just fine, so I have to believe that my first copy was defective.

17. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Can someone confirm if the stereo CD and/or stereo hi-res is the same mastering as the one included the Sectors Box ?

18. Serapis Bey

Serapis Bey Forum Resident

I haven't done a peak level comparison or anything, but it sounds pretty obvious to me that the redbook is the same mastering as the Sector version, and that the hi-rez stereo is a unique mastering.

The hi-rez goes some small way towards reining in the stridency and "honkiness" of Geddy's vocals on the MFSL.

19. Does the hi-res stereo have the same limiting as the redbook? Truthfully, the limiting doesn't bother me as badly as I thought it would.

20. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Sounds good on my system. Played the 96/24 5.1 right after Snakes and Arrows 5.1 (not true DVD-A of course). In comparison 2112 sounds miles ahead of Snakes and Arrows. I love it when I can hear the source tape in the background, it assures me I'm hearing something closer to the real thing.
    The surround was tastefully done and fits the theme of the album well.

21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Are the bonus live tracks on the DVD/BD also or just on the CD? Also, if they are on the DVD/BD are they presented separate from the album or will they start to play as soon as the last song on the original album ends?

22. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

They're just on the CD.

23. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

Actually, both, I believe. The stereo mix on the dvd is hi-res, the 5.1 mix is Dolby Digital (lossy)

24. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

The 5.1 is very much worth getting. There are plenty of discrete elements, just not agressive panning from corner to corner. It sounds great.

25. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

The Signals DVD-A has a lossless 5.1 mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.