Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Oct 19, 2017.

1. FFS --- What's the deal with this BoxSet? Some people have it, a lot of people don't. We're waiting for information as to why there is a delay. ~~~ Something!?!?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

Yes, I was the other poster with noisy vinyl. I kept my 2015 pressing of the studio lp. It’s the same stamper, but the 2015 was pressed at QRP. The 2017 was not pressed at QRP and there is quite a difference. The 2015 has so much less background noise so the detail in that classical guitar intro is so much more apparent. You can hear Alex step up closer to the mic before he starts playing and you can hear birds in the background just before he starts.
    I’m doing a deep cleaning and vacuuming on the 2017 vinyls and that will hopefully lower the noise floor.
    I’ll report back. Meanwhile, get copy of the reissue from 2015. On good quiet vinyl it’s a treat.

Scroller likes this.
  3. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Just got this today from SoundStage Direct:

Thank you for ordering from SoundStageDirect!

We apologize for any inconvenience. The status of A Farewell To Kings (40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition) has been switched to awaiting repress by the record company, and unfortunately they have not provided us with a date of availability at this time.

We will continue to keep this item on order for you unless you request otherwise.

4. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Did you get the Deluxe box or did you get the stand alone vinyl set? Is the opening of Xanadu noisy on your copy as well? I already have just about the entire Rush catalog on original US vinyl, which is why I'm not too concerned about my 2017 records. I have an original Gilbert Kong mastering of AFTK which is the best sounding version I have heard. Still, it would be nice to have a clean QRP pressed copy as well. One simply cannot have enough AFTK's, can one? :unhunh: I may eventually get around to picking up most of the Rush 2015's on vinyl because of all the positive reviews they have been getting. One that I just HAD to have was the 2015 Moving Pictures because it's my favorite record of all time even though I already have a very clean, 2 sided RL. The 2015 is very good indeed.

ytserush likes this.
  5. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

I ordered mine directly from the Rush backstage club. It looks like they still have copies available.

6. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

So did they use the untouched Magee remaster this time or did they treble boost and limit it like they did on 2112?

I already have the CD but have no hi-res file for comparison.

7. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I got the deluxe boxset but haven't had a chance to look at it in detail. Where is the download card placed in the set?

8. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I wish there was a 2cd version. Their album and the live set from Hammersmith because I have no intention listening to the covers.

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I'm not sure who thinks these covers are a good idea. I listened to them once and it's time I'll never get back.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I wish there was a 3 CD/1 Bluray version.

chaz, ODShowtime, dkmonroe and 6 others like this.
  11. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

I was thinking the same about The Alan Parsons Project Tales of Mystery and Imagination box. This forum was very vocal about it with many only wanting the Blu ray. I left the thread expecting it would fall on Deaf Ears of Vision.
    Months later I found the stand alone Blu ray on Amazon. Snapped it up quickly. People Power...:rant:

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

All 7 sides (Didn't listen to the side with the cover version) were nice and quiet. Thumbs up!

13. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Should I wait to order cause it’s on my list

14. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I listened to the CD, and it definitely doesn't sound like any limiting or EQ was applied. As someone who hated the extra processing that was added to the 40th anniversary 2112 CD, I'm relieved to see that AFTK was kept intact. The waveform is also slightly quieter yet just as dynamic as the old Mercury CD. The average DR is around 13 or 14, but I'm not at home to check.

FWIW, I used to own the hi-res version. I didn't back it up, so when my laptop's hard drive crashed, HDTracks wouldn't let me re-download it. :realmad: It's nice to finally have a physical copy of this mastering (albeit in 16/44.1) as it's been so long since I've heard it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Bananas&blow, Endymion and jamesc like this.
  15. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

This is making jelly. Just heard a sample from the Drum Solo at Hammersmith and Neil shreds it.

I just can't justify the $30 especially from the extra disc. Maybe when the price goes down...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Apologies if someone asked this already, but isn't the Hammersmith concert on this the same one that was on "Different Stages"? Which means that the only new content on this is cover versions by other artists?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

It’s the complete show I think

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

...and a 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

It's the same show, but a complete version, so you get the intro tape with the band warming up, a full version of 2112 (much better and more complete than the version a year earlier on All The World's A Stage), Lakeside Park (with keyboards!), Closer To the Heart and Peart's full drum solo.

The show has had a complete remix by Terry Brown and sounds much better for it.

As a fan, I'm starting to edge towards this show as the best Rush live album.

20. Judge Judy

Ah, okay. That all fits on one disc?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Nope, it's across 2CDs, or five sides of vinyl

22. Judge Judy

Oh, does it have to share disc space with the stupid cover versions?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Stupid? Alain's version of "Madrigal" betters the original

24. Judge Judy

I'm not interested. When I buy a Rush album, I want to hear Rush. I don't care who they get to do it.

Billy Budapest, DiabloG and Spitfire like this.
  25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

That's fine, but why insult the other artists?