Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Oct 19, 2017.

1. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

New World Man was actually played during their 1986 tour, however, Enemy Within would never be played after the GUP tour, and Analog kid wouldn't be resurrected from the Signals tour until the Roll The Bones tour.

ytserush and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I know all of that..but New World Man song was dropped at a certain point in 1986...not sure if the Meadowlands gig (see Witch Hunt) included it or not. Analog Kid sounded great in 1994.

That's why I threw in and/or :)

RangerXT likes this.
  3. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

It was indeed played at the gigs at meadowlands

pool_of_tears likes this.
  4. pool_of_tears

There we have it :)

I’m really wanting full sets from each tour from Hemispheres through Hold Your Fire. Bring it on

RangerXT likes this.
  5. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

You and me both!

6. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

They should have played Presto in 1990 and Available Light too (maybe Geddy couldn't handle that one live.) That tour just seemed "off" to me.

But better late than never. Presto along with Faithless and Marathon were highlights for me on the Time Machine Tour.

7. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I was at both Meadowlands gigs (March 31 and April 1 (Marillion opens with Misplaced Childhood.) and New World Man was played both nights. It was still there a few weeks later based on a soundboard recording from Philadelphia.

RangerXT and pool_of_tears like this.
  8. pool_of_tears

Thinking of the possibilities for future expanded editions, I’d welcome sets for all 78-87 albums. But sets for Moving Pictures and Grace Under Pressure would be high on my list.

9. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

The entire catalog deserves the deluxe treatment, but I hope they rethink the presentation from all in one box, vinyl, cd, dvd, doodads, to the approach King Crimson, Yes and XTC have taken. All encompassing Blu-ray/cd packages with original mix, 5.1 remix, stereo remix, instrumental mixes and misc live, bside and flat vintage transfers, with high quality vinyl pressings sold separately. I’d buy the whole catalog - all over again - handled this way. The big boxes are cost prohibitive for fans and don’t give them a choice what format they desire. They also need to get a hard-core Rush fan as a curator for these productions that knows what the fan base wants.

10. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

They reissued the vinyl from Rush to Snakes And Arrows (Except For Different Stages Live) from 2014 and 2015.

ceddy10165 and RangerXT like this.
  11. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Sorry, I know that - I should have been clear. I meant the deluxe vinyl with bonus tracks from the deluxe boxes.

ytserush and RangerXT like this.
  12. It doesn't look as if anybody ever answered your question. Have you heard the 2015 remaster by now?

I just heard it. I started off with my mid-90's copy, played a bit and switched to the 2015 remaster. The 2015 is a revelation.

It still has all of the content from other remasters, of course, but the 2015 just makes everything so audible and smoother than the first CD pressing, or this mid-90s that I have.

I was mesmerized. Stunned, even. I let the whole thing play and all I could imagine was the band hearing this from the control room during the original tracking.

Even as dense sounding at Rush is, this is still an example of getting close to an audiophile recording in the rock genre.

Slice and RangerXT like this.
  13. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

War Paint was played on that tour - sort of a "meh" Rush song - also "Scars" with synth bass?

14. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Ged's voice kept getting better in the 80's, peaking on Presto for me - great high midrange and he could still soar (Available Light) when he needed to.

15. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

NWM was dropped only for the last month of the tour. Was indeed played at the Meadowlands.

ytserush and RangerXT like this.
  16. Not wishing to hijack the thread but is this album a good place to start with Rush. I'm a Rush newbie.

RangerXT likes this.
  17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Good a place as any I suppose.

Moving Pictures may be more immediately accessible but Xanadu is a high point in the Rush discography. It depends on if you prefer Geddys voice at the top of his range (for rhe late 70’s) or somewhere in rhe middle

18. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

I don't mind the synth bass, it has a cool funky sound. Perhaps a bit dated, but still.
    Besides, it's not the first time he's used synth bass. Red Sector A and Afterimage both do not use any real bass guitar, and other songs like Subdivisions feature it quite prominently.

ytserush and ian christopher like this.
  19. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

2112 being the breakout record for the band led to the three shows at Massey Hall to be recorded for ATWAS. But the band wasn't planning on recording any Kings shows since their live album was "done." They weren't exactly making a ton of money yet, so hiring a mobile recording truck wasn't a necessity. We're fortunate that the Hammersmith was recorded at all.

The St. Louis show was recorded for radio, not technically by the band. It's not an "FM soundboard" (where did this terminology come from?). It was recorded to multitrack like any other live album including audience mics and was mixed down to 2 track like any other live album - it is not from the front of house mixing desk or "soundboard." The 1980 UK shows you mentioned were recorded by the band for a live album that would have come out after the Permanent Waves tour except they were on such a roll writing new material that it was canceled and they recorded Moving Pictures instead.

jay.dee, ytserush, ODShowtime and 2 others like this.
  20. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

The problem with Auburn Hills is it wasn't pro shot for a release - it's just the video screen/CCTV feed. It's nice to have, but it's limited in what you see because there were only a few cameras. I still think the opening on the Counterparts tour was the best of the tours I saw. The 2001 intro, then Dreamline with the white spotlights all over the stage. They did the same thing on Test For Echo, but with green lasers instead of the white spotlights.

21. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I really hope the band owns the masters for the St. Louis show. I hope the full show comes out at some point.

jay.dee likes this.
  22. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

I would expect the 1980 shows to be released before the St. Louis one. Years ago I was saying they should do an explanded Exit...Stage Left release and out a full show from 1980 and a full show from 1981. That's likely to eventually happen - but maybe separately. Hopefully in 2020 we'll get a 1980 show included with a new 40th Anniversary Permanent Waves (although I can do without having to buy the same album again).

23. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Rush needs to release full live shows like Bruce Springsteen does.

laf848, jay.dee, DiabloG and 3 others like this.
  24. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

Well, they did release some pro shot footage of the 1990 performance at Auburn Hills on the Time Stand Still documentary which was recorded under similar circumstances, and they've released a video of Neil Peart's drum solo from this concert as well. I don't think there is much reason for them to not release it at this point in time.

ian christopher likes this.
  25. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Indeed they did which I found strange, but seeing they didn't hire a crew to film it for release, it's all they have. Sometimes historic importance trumps visual or audio quality. Since the Auburn Hills/Detroit 1994 show was multitracked, it would especially work well for a video release with the footage they have. Better than nothing, right?