Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Oct 19, 2017.

1. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I

War Paint and Scars were a few highlights in what was for me mostly a lackluster tour for me. Likely my least favorite tour and set they've ever done.

Ram4 and RangerXT like this.
  2. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

If the band were not involved with this recording (and I'm not saying you're wrong because the fact that it has not been properly released yet supports that.) why was a promotional radio recording pressed on Rush's label in Canada and under the NBC Radio banner in the US? King Biscuit apparently had nothing to do with it as they had with other live Rush radio releases in the 1980s.

I've always thought that Rush may have been involved with it in some way, but if that were the case it probably would have seen the light of day by now. Pretty much anyone who has ever heard this recording wonders why it's never seen a proper release. Could be a rights issue or the the tapes may be lost perhaps?

ceddy10165 and RangerXT like this.
  3. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Similar limited scope with the Auburn Presto songs that were a bonus on the Time Stand Still doc (which apparently just won a best doc award in Canada.)

4. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Could this be the time we find out what they have and what they don't? Might be a tough call. They may still be sitting on a lot of that live stuff which might not have been included in that deal with OLE a few years back. I always wonder how that deal may have been structured.

5. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Clearly they have a ton more audio than video which may or may not have survived.

6. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

More audio than we'll likely ever know...

ytserush likes this.
  7. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

If you count board tapes, they have countless shows going back to the 70's. And plenty of mulitracked shows as well since 1980. The two tours I want a multitrack release from most are Hemispheres and Signals. It's safe to say there are no multitracks prior to Massey Hall in 1976, but of course board tapes could still exist.

RangerXT likes this.
  8. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

The Agora show is probably the best pre-1976 tape we can get.

RangerXT and Ram4 like this.
  9. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

It's likely that there are not multi-track tapes or board tapes pre-1976. In fact there's hardly anything from this period except for some radio broadcasts from 74 and early 75.

From 1978 onwards, i'm certain there are multitrack recordings of every single tour.

10. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Alex has said as much, FWIW.

BUT......evidence for the UK '80 multitracks is pretty strong, as "A Passage to Bangkok" and "The Spirit of Radio" from 6/17/80 have been officially released (the former on the 2011 2112 release and the later as a Guitar Hero DLC track).

For Hemispheres, who knows? Three SBDs from that tour circulate as bootlegs -- any of those could be cleaned up and used as official releases. And Ian Grandy posted on Facebook about a month ago that at the very least, he also made a similar board recording for one of the London '79 shows (5/8/79, I think).

ytserush and RangerXT like this.
  11. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

You forgot Jacob's Ladder, Closer To The Heart, Beneath Between Behind and A Passage To Bangkok on ESL - all from the 1980 UK shows that were multitracked. We assume the Hemispheres tour was recorded but it's never been confirmed that I can recall. The Signals tour has never been confirmed as being recorded either. Every tour after that was recorded.

12. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

Alex Lifeson has said they started recording about 8-ish shows from each tour from hemispheres onwards, though i'm not so certain if they started with multitrack tapes until Permanent Waves.

We do know they have plenty of multitrack shows to use from 1980, 1981 (with pro shot footage), at least one from 1984 (GUP tour has been released but I want the full show!), at least one from 1985, at least four from 1988 although this has largely already been covered with A Show of Hands, and a bazillion shows from the 1990 Presto Tour to T4E tour (With pro shot footage available for each tour).

13. Perhaps this has been touched on in this thread already, but I'm a little late to the party.

I ripped the 24/96 2015 remaster from the disc, and before the music plays there is a sound like it's from a vinyl copy.

Does anybody else hear this?

14. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

I saw the Farewell to Kings (or Hemispheres - can't remember) tour at the Glasgow Apollo, was near the front but the Apollo had the highest stage ever. We met the band at the Albany Hotel beforehand, big treat for a schoolkid who loved Rush at the time. Closer to The Heart live I remember was a big deal at the time. I sold the album a few years later, wish I hadn't now.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    jamesc, Ram4, RangerXT and 1 other person like this.
  15. DBR70

DBR70 Well-Known Member

I downloaded the remaster when it came out. I hear it as well.

RangerXT likes this.
  16. That is very strange. The 5.1 mix doesn't have that. I wonder what that could be, since obviously it's not a needledrop. The sound of the tape starting up, perhaps? Some gunk on the tape at the beginning of the master? Hmmm...

I don't believe I have a recording in my collection that has a sound like this that isn't a needledrop.

RangerXT and DBR70 like this.
  17. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

If memory serves me, it's Alex walking around, figeting a bit as he is without a guitar strap. Terry Brown also makes some noise.

The title track was recorded in an open space with access to the outdoors.

I'll try to break out the boxset this weekend, don the ring, and reread the notes in the substantial booklet.

18. Can you post a sample of what you are hearing?

19. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Regarding the noise at the start of AFTK (recorded outdoors in the courtyard of Rockford), here is a rough transcription from the booklet, per Alex Lifeson, "I was walking b/w the mics with the classical guitar playing the opening. You can hear it on the album with me moving around in the stereo spread. I wore running shoes and I think you can hear the shuffling clicks...I didn't have a strap for that guitar...so to walk back and forth plucking was a little bit uncomfortable. But I do remember how cool it was. I have a visual of it with the headphones on, looking at each other and kind of laughing and smiling. It's pure and honest and really, really cool."

Indeed!

20. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

On disc 3, as In The Mood starts, Geddy says to the crowd that he wants to all their...something. Shrezas? Anyone know what he says?

DiabloG, RangerXT and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

It sounds like he's shouting "I wanna see your XXXXhands" with some word/syllable dropped in right before hands. I also wonder if it's some sort of recording error or anomaly at that specific point. I don't think he's saying shrezas though.

22. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

very late to this topic but ....

I have the Different Stages 'disc 3' of the Hammersmith '78 show.

What is new and different about it on the new AFTK 40th release ?

still just one disc, right ? so still not the complete show ?

thanks !

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  23. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

^ sorry, nevermind --- I figured it out.

RangerXT and Billy_Sunday like this.
  24. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

It's now the complete show over two discs, with the missing tracks added in - 2112, drum solo, Lakeside Park, Closer to The Heart -
    and it's been remixed by Terry Brown, who was the man behind those classic albums.

As a result, the sound is much better than the DS version, and for me it's the perfect Rush live album - it has the grit and rawness of ATWAS but with a better defined bass and drum sound.

laf848, Roberto899, RangerXT and 2 others like this.
  25. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

Actually, I think that's close to what he's saying.

If you listen across all the live albums, he plays around with some of the lyrics - or ad libs, like in La Villa Strangiato (ESL), or In The Mood (Show Of Hands). When I saw them on the R30 tour he had a pirate theme going during 2112, with a stuffed parrot on his shoulder and ad libbing "Pirates" instead of "Priests".

Guess it relieves the boredom night after night.

ytserush, RangerXT and JediJoker like this.