Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

Easily.

RangerXT, Murph and pool_of_tears like this.
  2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Well the first thing is rhat Wilson only works on albums that he cares a great deal about. The second thing is they maybe didn't even ask him.

RangerXT likes this.
  3. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

I know it's the trend these days, but it's so frustrating to me that they put the vinyl in there and jacked up the price. That said, I likely will be purchasing this set for the full Hammersmith show (which I've been dreaming of for years) and, of course, the new SW 5.1 mix. AFTK is my favorite RUSH album and one of my all-time favorite albums period. I didn't completely hate the Sectors surround mix, as some did, but there certainly was a lot of room for improvement. I'm hoping that SW really works his magic on this one.

RangerXT likes this.
  4. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

To be frank, I rather have them release the 2015 remasters done by Sean Magee on CD. Now those sound great :righton:

5. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I'm with you on that, even if they scrap the original art.

So far we have the Magee 2112 and this one.

RangerXT likes this.
  6. guyfromscene24

guyfromscene24 Forum Resident

So we get the three extra songs that were left off Different Stages? That's a lot of money for 3 songs and 5.1!

But, I'm ready for any full shows from Hemispheres - Signals ...

RangerXT likes this.
  7. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

The new CD release is going to be the 2015 remaster.

RangerXT and ytserush like this.
  8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Does the 4lp have the stupid cover songs ? I'd like the live album and a blu ray only please. Other wise I won't be buying it. Already have the studio album and different stages.

9. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Rush is so fussy about not releasing "alternate" versions of their songs (demos, remixes, etc.), I'm surprised they don't seem to have a problem with completely new art for these reissues. Especially since many of those original covers are so iconic! I mean, 2112 has one of the most recognizable sleeves ever, and yet they have released not one but two "new" covers.

RangerXT, ytserush and Zach Johnson like this.
  10. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

It seems like the goal is to re-issue all the classic albums in $100+ packages.

I would prefer they offer the BluRay 5.1 as a stand alone or part of an all digital <$40 package like YES and Tull. I especially don't like having to buy stacks of vinyl bonus discs which would seem to be a big price hike driver. I bought all the Rush vinyl remasters but bonus content is fine for me on digital.

I love the YES Bluray series (surround, new mixes, flat transfers, bonus tracks) and all for an affordable price.

I really don't want to support or encourage the practice of putting a key release like a new 5.1 mix in a $100+ packed which seems to be padded with filler to hit a higher price point. Maybe it will be cheaper or later released as a stand alone or I'll see it cheap used.

elee532, RangerXT, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  11. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Ordered the Super Deluxe. Couldn’t help myself, with a T-shirt no less. I geeked out on this one!

RangerXT and boboquisp like this.
  12. I haven’t yet preordered the super deluxe because I already have the Sean Magee vinyl and hi-res. I want the Wilson 5.1 mixes but everything else I can do without.

This did remind me of the 40th edition of 2112 which I had forgotten about because I already have the Magee vinyl and hi-res. I figured at $4.99, the 2 CD/DVD set was worth getting so I did so.

13. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Yeah, but i want the most of their collection released.

RangerXT likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That's really neither here nor there, is it? 2112 was the album that broke them. They already released one 5.1 version that I think was not well received. You'd think that once they got Wilson interested they'd have him take a whack at it.

RangerXT and AZRunner like this.
  15. dkmonroe

I was asking if anyone knew, I can do the easy speculation thing myself. I think it's obvious they didn't ask him, I'm just puzzled as to why.

But apparently the new cool thing is to say that 2112 is a ****show and AFTK is the bomb, I never got the memo. :laugh:

RangerXT and warewolf95 like this.
  16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Man, I just bought the Blu-ray Pure Audio disc a few weeks ago, and now there will be a presumed better Blu-ray? That's lame. I probably would have sprang for the big box if not for that. That would pretty much mean the money I spent on the previous Blu-ray is a total waste. I want the live show on vinyl, but that last side will never get spun.

I'm excited by this release, but it could have worked out better for me.

RangerXT likes this.
  17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Those Yes releases are truly the gold standard in how things should be done.

20 - 30 bucks for HD audio, both surround and stereo, outtakes, and remixes.

Simply fantastic.

It makes releases like this one look like a rip-off.

elee532, RangerXT, jamesc and 8 others like this.
  18. aroney

Where? I'd like to snag one at that price too.

19. Check eBay and Amazon.

20. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Since they sold the rights to their music, they really don't have much say in the matter. Not a fan of the new covers at all. AFTK has one of the coolest covers and they go and botch it. Still getting the vinyl version though.

ytserush likes this.
  21. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Actually, Magee's remaster of 2112 was slightly more compressed and had much brighter EQ on the 2016 CD. Even though it wasn't as compressed as the 1997 and Sector versions, the tweaked Magee remaster from last year's deluxe edition is, IMHO, the weakest sounding 2112 CD. The EQ was, as I've already stated, ear-bleedingly bright and much too shrill for my tastes. Even the much maligned 1997 version didn't have that much treble. I realize that I might be in the minority, but I'm sticking to my opinion. Haven't heard the actual hi-res remaster yet.

On topic, if there's a 3 CD/blu ray set then I'm in. Even though AFTK was never one of my favorites, it would be neat to get Wilson's remix and a less compressed version of the Hammersmith show.

RangerXT, jamesc and raimiz1991inc like this.
  22. aroney

Of course. I did that before I asked. None for 5-bucks.

Sometimes folks share links to good deals around here. Thanks.

23. dkmonroe

RangerXT and aroney like this.
  24. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I say no sale on this since I have three different versions of AFTK already and most of the Hammersmith show from Different Stages. If they would have thrown in the Hammersmith 1977 show with the awesome By-Tor segueing into The Necromancer then I would have had to have this but as is, no sale. Hemispheres is about my favorite album ever so I'll probably get suckered into that next year.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  25. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

anyone know the missing tunes from the Hammersmith 78 show which were not on the previous release?