Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Oct 19, 2017.

1. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Probably my favorite story in the liner notes : ) Sounds like a moment to cherish.

2. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I hear the Close Encounters theme 2 times during the live show included in this release.

Anyone else?

ytserush likes this.
  3. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I just checked both versions of this and I have no idea. His go to line there was a variation of "I want to see your hands." I guess I've not listened very closely to this part before or mental substituted what he usually says.

It could also be some inside joke because they were never above doing something goofy like that. I either totally forgot or just didn't realize that was there, but it's on both versions clear as day.

RangerXT likes this.
  4. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

The video for A Farewell To Kings which I suppose you could argue should also have been included although it's on the R30 and R40 DVDs includes clips of some of that scenery in the vide0 in the beginning and the end.

warewolf95, anth67 and RangerXT like this.
  5. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Thought that was cool too. I love it when those moods strike.

warewolf95, Billy_Sunday and RangerXT like this.
  6. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

So should we be expecting a Hemispheres 40th anniversary CD set sometime this year?

After the 2112 and Farewell sets, I would think so.... although if they aren't selling as well as hoped you never know. The 2112 set was selling for $5 new on ebay a few months after it was released.

warewolf95, RangerXT and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader Forum Resident

I wish all songs were sung in that Cygnus X-1 opening narration voice

RangerXT and Billy_Sunday like this.
  8. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

That's probably due to the lack of any new content included with such a set at such a high price. The AFTK anniversary release included way more interesting bonus cuts.

I just wish they would stop releasing cover songs on these releases.

9. Further

Further Forum Resident

It’s actually the cover songs and the atrocious new artwork on these releases that prevent me from buying them.

10. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

By the time Christmas rolls around, I suppose we'll see if they got the hint.

RangerXT likes this.
  11. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

I hope so. That would leave more room for actual relevant bonus tracks :)

Matthew Tate and DiabloG like this.
  12. I think the reason for the cover versions and the subpar-sounding live tracks is that there is a dearth of bonus material for these releases. I remember in college I had a cassette tape that scraped together all known Rush rarities and it was pretty short! Battlescar, Take Off, Not Fade Away, Can’t Fight It, Pieces of Eight, Bad Boy (live), Garden Road (live), Fancy Dancer (live), Vital Signs (live). That was about it. There is a teensy bit more now, but not really that much!

warewolf95, RangerXT and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I don't get why they haven't re-released both sides of the debut single yet. Sure, they're both on YouTube, but if you want a physical copy, then you'll have to pay at least $500, if not $1000 for it. I guess the master tapes may be lost, or perhaps the band simply don't like the songs?

ceddy10165 and RangerXT like this.
  14. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

In terms of Studio outtakes, supposedly there aren't any that exist (except for the rare 1974 single or Battlescar and whatnot) but we do know there are a lot of live material available. They could easily fill up 2 cd's of live material with Hemispheres.

Andersoncouncil and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I'm hoping pretty hard for a Hemispheres 40th release. A SW 5.1 mix would be pretty insane I'd imagine.(If AFTK is any measure) I'd give anything for a complete soundboard show from the Tour of the Hemispheres. My best sounding boot from that tour could definitely be improved. But really, just surprise us!!! Just no covers please.

mcchocchoc, RangerXT and jamesc like this.
  16. DiabloG

The original mix sounds great, but I'd love for Wilson to do a stereo remix in addition to 5.1 if a reissue's in the works.

RangerXT, kiddo4 and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  17. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I believe they have the master tape. I think there was an interview years ago with Andrew McNaughton who was their official photographer (who sadly passed away a few years ago) and he was in Rush’s vault and i think he saw the original reel for that first single and Geddy commented on how old the tape was. They could have easily reissued the 45 as a bonus with the vinyl box of the first album. Or make it a nice record store day reissue.

18. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I posted this in the 2112 anniversary thread.

I’m really hoping for a Hemispheres Box this year with a Steven Wilson 5.1 included and a full unreleased live show. Maybe even the rumored Passaic NJ Pro shot from that tour.

This would make a great box imo

19. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Definitely a stereo mix as well would be great. I always prefer stereo, always. But, that sw aftk mix blew my mind. I've never cared much for classic albums getting the 5.1 treatment, but the sw aftk is the kind of mix that other great classic albums should aspire to sound like, if they're going to get the 5.1 treatment.

20. In terms of studio outtakes, for a catalog-wide reissue campaign, there are a few bootlegs that reveal the existence of Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves outtakes (forgot which), Counterparts outtakes, and Power Windows outtakes. The only ones I find interesting—and they are very interesting—are the Power Windows outtakes. If the album would have been released with the performances and arrangements revealed in the outtakes, it would have sounded a lot like Grace Under Pressure, in style at least, rather than the sound the released version exhibited (which Hold Your Fire also shares).

Also, there are a few single edits which could be included (I am forgetting what they are), three different 2112 edits that were made for various compilations, the remix of Tom Sawyer contained on the Toy Soldiers soundtrack, the “vault” version of Working Man with the alternate guitar solo, the Sectors alternate mixes of songs from Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, the Rush Remasters version of Carve Away the Stone (missing “Sisyphus” lyrics), the Sean Magee version of Limbo (missing the Monster Mash vocals and sound effects), the Retrospective III remixes of One Little Victory and Earthshine, the MFSL version of The Weapon (missing vocals during the bridge), and the single versions of Caravan and BU2B.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    ytserush, jay.dee, RangerXT and 3 others like this.
  21. DiabloG

I think the AF Counterparts had slightly extended versions of Nobody's Hero (longer fade) and Stick It Out (more lyrics towards the end).

22. Also, the Sector III mix variations include Mission (additional string parts), Tai Shan (additional wind chimes during intro), and Mystic Rhythms (different synth placement in one section towards end).

All of these differences are really, really minor—but really odd, too!

ytserush, RangerXT and DiabloG like this.
  23. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

There are European "reissues" that have been pressed by someone if you wanted to go that route (I haven't.) The band almost appear to be embarrassed by it and really don't talk much about it other than it was a step they took to try to further their cause. I doubt the tapes survived, but there's almost no information.

I would like to get an original one day for historical purposes but if I'm honest, the music really isn't all that appealing to me. There are a bunch of other items I'd rather have.

24. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

That seemed like the obvious choice. Record Store Day release or the bonus for the box.

I suppose they could still go the Record Store Day route or just offer it on their website like the Blue 2112.

25. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I'm really hoping for those vault versions to get a CD release.

The Tom Sawyer Remixes were on the Sony Label so I doubt they'd have permission to use those.

I don't even think the band knows what happened on those Sector mixes as I don't think the band has even publicly acknowledged that they even exist.

Billy Budapest and RangerXT like this.