Rush Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Metal MD, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rush. Unquestionably legendary band with a major influence on countless musicians and artists. I wanted to create this thread for others to show their appreciation for this unique, timeless, and uncompromising band. What is it about Rush that you love? For those who never 'got' Rush or could never become a fan, why not? This thread is everything Rush. Please share your thoughts!

[​IMG]

2. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I've been thinking of getting some rush albums as my is limited to that last one. I would love to hear the recommendations on what albums are essential and what ones to avoid.

4. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

I'd say 2112, Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves should be your immediate priorities in terms of purchases.

5. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Power Windows is my favorite Rush album.

905, FashionBoy, Huntigula and 3 others like this.
  6. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Signals is probably my favorite. I think it's right up there with Moving Pictures.

As far as the band goes, I've always been a fan because each of the guys in the band could be considered one of the best players of his particular instrument. I'm not huge on early Rush, in fact I might be in the minority when I say my favorite period of the band is the 80's.

davers, DiabloG and jeffd7030 like this.
  7. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Been a fan for just about four and a half years. I've got all their albums including live ones (except for the most recent) and treasure the 1975-1984 period the most. But I haven't listened to their later output that much. Truly an adventurous group with a lot of variety, a very unique sound and a very original approach to lyrics. Never saw that many of their CD's or LP's in the stores over here though.

8. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I've been a Rush fan probably since 1983. Although I remember hearing Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio and Freewill on the radio prior to that and always being intrigued by them but not getting my first album (Exit Stage Left) in I believe '83 or '84.

As far as recommendations go, the albums I would recommend would be 2112, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Power Windows, and Counterparts for latter day Rush. Just my opinion of course.

Or you can just go the 2112 through Signals route and you'll have the golden period all in one swoop.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

They have some of the best lyrics ever written by any band ever on just about every album they have ever released. :edthumbs: :laughup:.

Bob_Rush likes this.
  10. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Lately, Hemispheres for me but it was the one I never owned until it was reissued this time around on vinyl. So it was just like a brand new album to me. Sounds fantasic! Nice to have on vinyl too, it is probably the quietest vinyl I own. The pressing is one of the best.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

I love that picture! Is it available to buy as a poster?
    2112, Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves are my favourites btw, but lately I have been listening a lot to the more synth heavy albums, especially A Show Of Hands live album

12. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

For the same reason that many of my friends love david bowie, rush was my way out, my escape from popular 90s music that really did nothing for me. From then on, i became a music collector and rush is the reason why.

They also gave me a good practice routine for teaching myself to play drums!

After getting into other progrock bands, i still liked coming back to rush. One thing about them was that they could musically address the trends of the times without completely giving in. Its the difference between invisible touch and power windows.

And i really like Neil's books

Dave likes this.
  13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

One of my favorite bands of all time. Became a fan for life in 1980. Saw them on every tour except some of the recent ones. I like all era's, but nothing to me beats the run of releases from 2112 to Signals.

Don't know why this just came to me, but a cool memory from one of the 1986 East Rutherford, NJ shows: We were sitting in one of the sections next to the stage and also next to a walkway leading to the backstage area. Before Marillion came on, we leaned over the rail to take a look and there is Geddy and Alex throwing a baseball back and forth - playing catch! :)

davers, Dr. Metal MD and GodShifter like this.
  14. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

vanye, Robber Soul, texron and 4 others like this.
  15. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Rush? They are/were pretty good, eh?
    Twenty shows from 1977 to 2015 and hoping for more.
    Not holding my breath, though.
    What a rush it's been!;)

davers likes this.
  16. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Anyone know what these high res downloads sound like?

https://www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=356470

I know the site seems to have good quality control as they say they don't accept up sampled material but I just thought I'd ask before pulling the trigger on some of them

17. milco

milco Forum Resident

I think from 1976-81 there was something really special about the band. An indefinable magic...an aura. Their music was colourful, inventive and bombastic. After 'Moving pictures' a bit of that energy went and they fell back into the pack for me. That run of albums: '2112', 'A farewell to kings', 'Hemispheres', 'Permanent waves' and 'Moving pictures' is pretty unique and marks them out as a truly exceptional band.

dennis1077 likes this.
  18. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I heard Subdivisions (track 1 on Signals) in 1982 as a 12 year old and was hooked. I then listened to Moving Pictures and awaited Grace Under Pressure. I was really into the whole catalog by the time Power Windows arrived.

Rush was my first rock show in 1984 and later in 1985.

I still listen to Caress of Steel through Presto regularly. My fave albums are Signals, Moving Pictures and Hemispheres. I also like Hold Your Fire, it reminds me of my high school senior year.

Bananas&blow and FashionBoy like this.
  19. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

My favorite band of all time. I like all of their periods, but my favorite records of theirs are Permanent Waves and Power Windows.

DiabloG likes this.
  20. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Signals, Power Windows, and Grace Under Pressure are my favorites, but Presto isn't far behind them. The 80's were quite a magical time for Rush, even if most fans give up after Signals or Grace.

905 and davers like this.
  21. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I love Caress of Steel too! I pretty much always include this album as part of their great run. It's just so adventurous and sprawling. Sure it gets pretty silly at times lyrically however I often love bands that are pushing themselves into newer boundaries even if there are partial failures along the way. And yes I agree with your energy comment. The record SOUNDs like 3 young guys in the studio not quite sure what they are doing but putting it out there with a measurable energy and confidence.

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Big fan since junior high when Moving Pictures came out. I remember there were these two girls who had t-shirts made. One said "Juke Box Hero" on the back while the other said "Tom Sawyer". Whatevs!

Anyway, for our 9th grade talent show we played "Spirit of Radio" and let me tell you that's not an easy song to play. We tackled "Free Will" too (also not easy). So, yeah, memories abound as a young Rush fan and budding musician.

Saw them only once in 1982 on their Signals tour. One of my favorite bands ever and Geddy is one of my favorite musicians. Grace Under Pressure is probably my favorite album but I like pretty much everything to some degree.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    chrischerm, davers and dennis1077 like this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yet if you watch "Beyond the Lighted Stage" they were close to packing it in. CoS might be Rush at their lowest creative and energic ebb in their entire history yet the album works.

24. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Yeah I remember that part. I also seem to recall they were kind of happy/hopeful with the results but not that it tanked.

25. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

A boat-load of info on all things related...happy reading as it's a two part marathon.
    I don't do hi-res but most here seem to love 'em.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rush-new-2015-vinyl-and-hi-res-reissues-thread.399367/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.